1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

windows won't play wavs in media folder

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by outamoney, 2006/09/26.

1. 2006/09/26
    outamoney

outamoney Inactive Thread Starter

All of a sudden in Sounds and Audio Devices Properties when I try to play a
    wav file from Windows XP's media folder I get the following error:

"Windows cannot play %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP ding.wav file. It may be damaged or may not be a valid sound file. Replace the file and try again. "

And if I go to the file and click on a wav, Media Player comes up with this
    error:

"Your computer is running low on memory. Quit other programs, and then try
    again. "

Media Player will play music and other wavs, just not the ones in that
    Windows media folder. :eek: HELP!

2. 2006/09/27
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello outamoney and welcome to the Board,

You're not specifiying WMP version. This link is the home page for v10/11. Hovering your mouse on Player 11 and 10 in the left column will give you a choice of going to the trouble shooting page. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/default.aspx

For earlier versions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/previousversions.aspx
    From what you write, the files in that folder may be corrupt - where did you get them from?

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/09/27
    outamoney

windows wavs

They are the files that came with Windows. The ones for setting sounds and sound themes like open, close, error, mail, etc. If they are corrupt, how do I replace them? I don't have a clue how that happened. I noticed it because suddenly I didn't get a sound when mail arrived so I went to check on that and it's set up in Outlook options, but when I decided to try a different sound and wanted to play the sound to hear it, that's when I got that error message. I also don't have sound when I play Spider Solitaire, but Media Player works on everything else. The speakers are fine and the sound card seems fine since it plays most things. Just not the wavs in the Window's Media folder and the sounds of Solitaire.

5. 2006/09/28
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi outamoney,

Try sfc http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-24.html and see if it will replace the problem files.

Regards - Charles

6. 2006/10/22
    whompuscat Lifetime Subscription

whompuscat Inactive

I have lost my windows default sound files. Again, another problem with Sony VAIO!!!
    I couldn't get Media Center to work said it couldn't find the TV tuner card, so Sony had me uninstall, reinstall numerous times and reset the bios to load optimized default settings which none of that worked in getting my TV tuner card to work.

Now the only default windows sounds I have is the startup sound which I assume is working because it actually starts before the boot ini or win ini file is loaded.

When I go to control panel > sounds and try the different windows sound I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot play the %systemroot%\media\Windows xp (whatever) .wav file. It may be damaged or may not be a valid sound file. Replace the file and try again. "

I have tried system restore, couldn't restore it, I did sfc and it replaced LOTS of files, but the default sound files still do not work. I have tried the fix from Kelley's Corner and still nothing. So I assume that I need to REPLACE the files. Actually I have just discovered that I don't have ANY sounds except the windows startup and that is only when the computer starts, if i try it in control panel > sounds, I get the same error as above.

Warning for those interested in a VAIO computer. My computer is 6 months old, they have replaced the MB, tomorrow they are coming to replace the DVD writer and the front bus panel and the front of the case because the start button is "sprung" it is pushed back inside the computer and you have to stick something in there to push it, so I took the front of the case off so that I can access the start button.

Sony wants me to send the computer back to them so they can fix everything that is wrong with it, they said the TV tuner card needs replacing, so basically I have a LEMON but they won't replace my computer until I send it into them so they can diagnose it although I paid for in home service. The last in home service I received from Decision One I had to tell the tech how to put the computer back together because he couldn't remember how he took it apart!!!!!!

Any help on fixing my sound files????? TIA

Well I did get my sound files to work by reinstalling the sound card for the 5th time. But still consider this a warning if you have any thought of purchasing a Sony VAIO computer!!!!! I've definetly learned my lesson the expensive way!!!

Last edited: 2006/10/22
  7. 2006/10/22
    outamoney

Sound card?

Joyce, what a coincidence. I too, have a Sony Vaio. It's my second one and I had really good luck with my first one so I bought a new one. Wish I hadn't. So, did you get the sound files to work by re-installing the sound card? How do I do that?

8. 2006/10/23
    whompuscat Lifetime Subscription

whompuscat Inactive

I clicked on the little VAIO update icon in my system tray it took me to the Sony site for my computer model and I downloaded the Audio driver and reinstalled, still can't get my TV tuner card to install tho.

I just uninstalled the TV tuner library and am going to try and reinstall it see if that works. Otherwise, Sony can't tell me anything about it except that the driver for the TV tuner card is in the graphics software which was installed several times also. Who knows, Sony sure doesn't!!!!

I do however have to give Sony credit for easy access on their site. Just go to www.esupport.sony.com click on software and drivers and enter your model # and it will give you the original software, updates and everything options.