1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Windows Vista Updates Fail to Install!

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Evan Omo, 2007/06/13.

1. 2007/06/28
    Lis Lifetime Subscription

Lis Inactive

Lis,
  2. 2007/06/28
    CraigM

CraigM Inactive

I agree with you. I build my own as well... When I need a desktop. This is a notebook. A Pavilion DV9225US. This notebook has everything I need, except for WinXP. :D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/06/28
    CraigM

CraigM Inactive

I sent him an email over a month ago. I never got a reply by email, phone, or smoke signal. I guess the CEO cares as much as the rest of his people. Not at all.

Thanks for the idea, though.

This is an excerpt from the link posted above: "Although I cannot personally respond to your message due to the volume of messages I receive "...

5. 2007/06/30
    CraigM

CraigM Inactive

The final solution:

As was suggested in this thread, I had to obtain a Windows Vista Ultimate installation disc and do an upgrade installation.

Once that was done, the updates seem to work again.

Amazing how Microsoft cannot fix their OS without re-installing.

By the way, it took nearly five hours to do the upgrade install.

Thank you all for your suggestions and assistance!!

6. 2007/06/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff Thread Starter

I am glad you got your issue sorted out.:) Sometimes a reinstall of Windows is the last option to repair a damaged OS unfortunatly. :rolleyes: I hope those Windows Updates don't go all whacky on you again and fail. But that just shows that a reinstall of the OS may be necessary if you can't resove the problem you are having. Anyway hopefully you have learned something from this ordeal, I know I have. I create system restore points on a daily basis in case something were to go wrong with my system. Well Good Luck with those Windows Updates, but lets hope nothing else goes wrong with your system. ;)

7. 2007/06/30
    CraigM

CraigM Inactive

So far, so good. Thanks.

And, yes. I have learned a lot from this experience. One of the things I learned is how much more I like XP Pro over Vista Ultimate. I suppose it is just a matter of getting used to the fact that XP never gave me any trouble, and Vista has created havoc within the first month of using it.

8. 2007/07/11
    CraigM

CraigM Inactive

I just wanted to give an update.

I dumped Vista. I am back to XP.

I used the advice from this thread to get my webcam working. Using the Vista driver did the trick. HP refuses to admit this is a solution.

Thank you all very much for the help. I am very happy to be using XP again. Until Vista has a couple of service packs, I am steering clear of it.

Last edited: 2007/07/12
  9. 2007/07/23
    Kokopelli

Kokopelli Inactive

Feeling a bit foolish here. With 20 odd GB free, the upgrade is still disabled. Could you clarify the procedure for an in place upgrade?

JJ

10. 2007/07/23
    Evan Omo

Hi Kokopelli. Since you have 20 GB free on your harrdrive you should have more than enough space to do an upgrade. Could you please clarify what OS you are running right now and what version of Windows Vista you want to upgrade to? Take here to make sure you can upgrade from the OS you are currently running. http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradepaths.mspx If your OS can upgrade to a version of Windows Vista then did you purchase an upgrade DVD of Vista or the full version? :confused:

If you purchased an upgrade version then you have to start the Windows Vista installation from within your current OS. If you purchased the full version of Windows Vista you can boot from the DVD and start the installation from there. I hope I was specific enough in my explanation for you. Let me know what your situation is and please provide the information I asked about and we can go from there. :)

11. 2007/07/23
    Kokopelli

Kokopelli Inactive

Evan,

Thanks for the reply. My intent was to do an in place upgrade on top of an existing Vista install (this is what it sounded like was being done on the previous post) I have a full version of Ultimate x86 and hoped to "fix" my bad install.

I have however come on to a lead regarding my porblem of updates not installing. It appears that Vista and WUS do not like the Program Files location to be changes (they need to fix that)

J

12. 2007/07/23
    Evan Omo

Good Luck with your upgrade install Kokopelli. I have done 4 upgrades/repair installs on Vista already in the 6 months I have had it and everything has gone smooth. Let me know if you have any more questions about Windows Vista and I would be happy to answer them. :)

13. 2007/07/23
    Kokopelli

Kokopelli Inactive

So, I should be able to do an upgrade install on top of my Vista install? If so, I must have a problem. I cannot get the otion of anything but a new install whether I boot from teh DVD or run setup from Windows. Both methods show upgrade disabled. Thoughts?

J

14. 2007/07/24
    Evan Omo

Thats very strange as to why the upgrade would be disabled. Like I said I have done an upgrade on top of my existing Vista install without issues. The only thing that I can think of would be that you don't have enough harrdrive space to do the upgrade. Other than that I am all out of ideas. :( You can try the suggesstions on this link. It will list all of the errors people have encountered with trying to upgrade to Windows Vista. See here. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Complete-Windows-Vista-Upgrade-Error-Messages-56512.shtml Hope this helps. :eek:

Last edited: 2007/07/24
  15. 2007/07/26
    CraigM

CraigM Inactive

To me, that is just pathetic on the part of Microsoft. I've run XP Pro for years without any problems at all. Vista, on the other hand, requires re-installation more often than I change underwear (figure of speech, honest!).

You are upgrading/repairing eight times a year at the pace you are going. That is not 'smooth' to me.

You?

16. 2007/07/28
    Evan Omo

Hello Craig. To be honest with you yes Windows Vista has probably given me the most problems. :p Windows XP was very stable but I had a pirated copy of XP so when Vista came out I thought that would be a good excuse to buy Vista since I didn't want to buy a genuine copy of XP. Since doing the last upgrade install I have been running Windows Vista for about 3 months without any issues. The only reason I had to do 3 in-place-upgrades was due to my own stupdiy and experiementation. :eek: Right now Vista is running fine without issues and hopefully SP1 will fix all of the bugs in Vista people have been complaining about. :rolleyes:

17. 2007/07/28
    CraigM

CraigM Inactive

If this is the case, I may try it again. Some of the issues I had, other than the ones discussed in this thread, were things like extremely slow file copying. Even copying a file to the same hard disk took forever. With XP the same file would take a few seconds, in Vista it would take ten minutes. It is a known bug with Vista, that will hopefully be addressed in SP1.

18. 2007/07/29
    Evan Omo

SP1 will include a fix for faster file copying. I have to agree with you though. Copying and deleting files on Windows Vista take a very long time to do where as doing it on Windows XP takes only a few seconds. I read on Softpedia.com that SP1 is gonig to officially be launched in February of 2008 and not November of 2007. :( Take a look here. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Officially-Confirms-Windows-Vista-SP1-After-February-2008-61247.shtml I hope SP1 will be worth waiting for and I hope most of these bugs people have been complaining about will be fixed. :)

19. 2007/07/29
    CraigM

CraigM Inactive

Good info to have on the SP release. Thanks.