1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows update won't update

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Jack57, 2014/11/29.

1. 2014/11/29
    Jack57

Jack57 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

We have a laptop that does not get a lot of use. The last time we used it was in September on a trip. I always update the virus/malware and make sure the automatic Microsoft updates have updated and are current prior to using it. Today after updating Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and scanning for viruses and malware I went to control panel and checked for updates manually since I saw the last check and update was in August. The green ribbon keeps running across the screen with no update progress. After doing it for at least ten minutes and no updates even started I ran all the troubleshooters I could think of and everything says no problems. Tried it at least three more times, same problem.
    One other thing I noticed is that I cannot delete folders in Favorites in IE without a pop up saying IE has encountered a problem and needs to close. After I close the program IE reopens normally, functions normally but will close the same way if I attempt to delete a Favorites folder in IE. As always any help will be greatly appreciated. Jack

2. 2014/11/30
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Jack57, I see you've Posted in W8 so I assume the laptop is running W8.1?
    This link might be worth a read:How To Fix Problems Caused by Windows Updates.
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/system-security/a/fix-problems-caused-by-windows-updates.htm
    I quite often see a message telling me a Restart is necessary to complete Updates when I switch my HP Notebook on. I wait until it has fully loaded all Start programs - then Restart Notebook and allow Windows Update to complete it's process.
    You do mean Windows Defender (was MSE previously)?
    Like you, I don't use my Notebook everyday. Sometimes up to a week before I use it.
    Have a look in View Update History to see when the last update was made and installed properly. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/12/01
    Jack57

Jack57 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

The one thing I didn't think of was that when I first turned the computer on my e-mail program (eM Client) did an update. I did a system restore to remove the update and everything worked normally. I reinstalled the eM Client update after all of the Microsoft updates were downloaded and installed and the computer is normal again. Must have been some conflict with the eM Client update being installed before the Microsoft updates were installed.
    I did neglect to say I'm running Windows 8.1 and of course it's Defender not Essentials. Brain cramp. Thanks, Jack