1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved windows update hanging

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by XP dummy, 2016/12/21.

1. 2016/12/21
    XP dummy

XP dummy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    I've searched here and found others with the same issue, but I'm not sure if the attempts to fix this would be the same for me.

For the last 3 or 4 months, the monthly updates have been an issue. They eventually complete, but usually take days to do so. This month, I'm on my 3rd day so far with no luck.

I'm using Security Essentials, and do a quick scan every early AM with a search for updates prior to scanning. That seems to be OK.

Here are the specs on my cpu: HP p6110y, Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit, Service Pack 2. Pentium Dual-Core E5300 @2.60 GHz, 6.00 GB memory (ram). Firefox 50.1.0.

Would remooptimizer in the link at the top of this page be an option?

An unrelated question: in a thread on here, I read that Vista will no longer be supported after 4/17. So what would be a reasonable option for me at that time? Upgrade the operating system, or a complete new cpu? Thanks for any answers.

Last edited: 2016/12/21
  2. 2016/12/21
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    Hi XP dummy, HP support only shows W7 as your only option. The comp won't be any good for W8/8.1 or W10. New Year wish? All I want for Xmas is a new comp ;)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/21
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate+
    Hi XP dummy.
    No definitely not. Do not run any of these so called optimizer programs that you see shown in advertisements on the Internet as they are most likely scams.

Well, personally if it was my system, I would buy a whole new system with Windows 10 on it. Would you like me to help troubleshoot this issue or do you want to buy a new computer?

5. 2016/12/22
    XP dummy

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    First off, thanks for the reply.

I guess I'm puzzled as to why programs like the one mentioned are advertised on here if they might possibly be scams. Seems to me that it kind of defeats the intent of this forum. But I think I get it; advertising $'s that help support (or support) the forum.

I'm not in the market for a new computer at this time, and I'd like to make this one last a little longer. So yes, I'd very much appreciate your help in getting the bugs out of this one. As info, when I purchased this cpu, it was just before W7 was released, and HP sent me the W7 update as part of the package. I'm not a computer junkie so I don't have to have the latest and greatest. Vista was working just fine so the update disc sat on a shelf. Updating to W7 will buy me even more time, but first, get the bugs out?

I was going to run check disc and see if that helped any, but I'll wait until I hear back from you. Thanks again for your offer to help. F

6. 2016/12/22
    Evan Omo

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate+
    If you have a valid upgrade disk for Windows 7 then forget about fixing your Vista OS and jump to Windows 7.

You can perform an in place upgrade as well if you don't want to lose your data and settings on the hard drive. Is this something that you would be interested in doing?

7. 2016/12/23
    XP dummy

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    I think that would be best, at least in the long run. The instructions are intimidating to me, and it seems like a lengthy and involved process. Can I PM you a copy of them so you can see what I'm dealing with?
    The thought of losing data or somehow messing up the computer has kept me from attempting this all along. I am using Windows back up, and storing the backups on an external hard drive. Do you think everything that's important might be saved on there? Many thanks.

Last edited: 2016/12/23
  8. 2016/12/23
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Computer Experience:
    Inter and still lear
    We have no idea of what you are backing up. I would say that would be an unknown answer to us.

9. 2016/12/23
    XP dummy

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Using Windows backup, and in the window where it gives the choices of what to back up, I have everything checked except TV shows. That would include: pictures, music, videos, e-mail, documents, compressed files, and additional files. Not sure if program files would be in those choices. What else would I have to consider? Thanks

10. 2016/12/23
    Evan Omo

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate+
    Yeah you can send me the information about the upgrade but if you follow the instructions in this link you shouldn't have any issues.

As long as you have backed up your personal data then the upgrade process should go smoothly but after the upgrade process completes, make sure you visit Windows Update and install all of the Windows Updates for your system.

11. 2016/12/23
    XP dummy

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Thanks for the reply.

My instructions are much more complicated than your link. How can I send you the instructions? F

12. 2016/12/24
    Evan Omo

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate+
    You can always email them to me. Otherwise you can follow the instructions from the link that I posted.

13. 2016/12/25
    XP dummy

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    I'm having trouble finding my way around this forum. I've figured out that I can address you directly through "conversations", and have made an attempt to send them to you that way. Can you reply to the conversation with your e-mail address if they don't display well enough to use? Thanks.

14. 2016/12/25
    XP dummy

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    Windows Update finally completed, and 14 monthly updates were successfully installed. Immediately afterwards, Windows Update indicated that that there were 2 more updates available, which downloaded and installed correctly and quickly.

One of them was KB947821 which I think addressed the update hanging issue. A test run today loaded a virus definition update quickly and successfully as well.

So it would appear that my issue has been fixed. I'll mark this thread as "resolved". I'm working with Evan Omo on an update issue. Should that be addressed in a new thread in the Vista section? Thanks.

15. 2016/12/25
    Evan Omo

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate+
    Its good that this issue has been resolved. Thanks for letting me know. :)