1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Update Failure (SP2) [Office 2003 SP2]

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tenchy, 2005/09/28.

1. 2005/09/28
    Tenchy

Tenchy Inactive Thread Starter

this has just started happening today, 5 apparent critical updates were given. 1 has updated my office 2003 and the other 4 'critical' updates pertaining to junkmail filters and software that came with office like visio are failing.

i get the shield in my taskbar telling me the updates are ready but again and again, they fail. i've tried system restores to yesterday and last week and still get the same errors.

my comp as a whole is acting strange, i had to update my opera browser which lost all my bookmarks, my real arcade went awry.

what can i do, please help? :confused:

2. 2005/09/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Tenchy--If the only problem you had was corrupted Windows Updates, I would refer you here
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1843311,00.asp
    However, the other problems suggest that something more serious is happening.
    You could try Start|Run|type sfc /scannow|OK and have your WinXP CD ready to insert if asked. However, I would not think that would fix Opera, etc.
    Perhaps someone else can help. (And I guess you have little to lose by trying the referenced suggestion given above. Are you getting any error messages?)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/09/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You are not the only one with problems - see here

I had no end of problems this morning with the install (through Windows Update and Office Update) failing - I resolved the issue by downloading SP2 to hard drive from here

5. 2005/09/28
    Tenchy

At one stage I got a message saying ‘files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your windows XP home edition CD-rom now’ …. I got the message again a few of times so I then opted to retry after getting a message the disc didn’t match the running OS but there is absolutely no way that could be the case …. The scan went off in the end with no message so don’t know if that is ok???

I have tried to browse the XP CD in the past few month and get a message that the disc is a different version to the OS I am running. I put that down SP2 as the disc is SP1??

That may have been because of my system restore though not sure but it is no biggie, the main worry is the ‘critical’ stuff not installing.

I’m getting no error messages other than on the pop up window after clicking on the shield it says the updates have failed. The updates are …

Visio 2003 Service Pack 2
    Office 2003 Service Pack 2 (I do use office but not visio, one note or outlook)
    OneNote 2003 Service Pack 2
    Update for Outlook 2003 Junk Email Filter (KB904631)

Therefore the shield stays in my taskbar and I’m wary they are not installed when they are apparently ‘critical’. To be honest I don’t use any of them but again, the ‘critical’ bit makes me wary. Though reading the above link, could I try this? I don’t use outlook and never have for years as I prefer incredimail though always thought these kind of ‘critical’ updates affect the stability of the PC???

6. 2005/09/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

PeteC--I do not run Office so was not aware that there apparently is a problem with the latest update. That should help Tenchy.
    Are you aware that MS now have a single Microsoft Update site that provides access to updates for other MS programs in addition to Windows Updates?
    http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

Tenchy--If the Office Updates problem has now been resolved (using the suggestions in PeteC's links), but you still have problems with Opera, etc, please post back with more details.

Last edited: 2005/09/28
  7. 2005/09/28
    Tenchy

edited this as i figured it out thanks, all the links looked daunting but they were all included in the one download.

8. 2005/09/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Jim
    Surely and I generally use MS Update - when that failed to install Office 2003 SP2 Office Update was the next port of call with the same result, so it was on to the Download Centre.

Trenchy

There is something strange going on with Office Updates - I am always offered the update to Outlook Junk Mail Filter even though I do not have Outlook installed. I suspect you have the same problem with those components that you do not have installed. Surprisingly the Outlook Junk Mail Filter installed this time :confused:

9. 2005/09/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Trenchy

You posted while I was composing :)

Scroll right to the bottom of the page to the section 'Files in This Download'.

Download either - the client-ENU.exe file will require you to insert Ofice CD's, the FullFile-ENU.exe will not.

10. 2005/09/28
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Pete - based on the experience I've had with MS Office through quite a few versions, you are best off loading the whole thing and opting for 'run from my PC' or however they phrase it when asking about putting all of it on your hard drive.

Use what you want, don't use what you don't want, but the thing behaves better for updates if all it's little parts & pieces are available. Takes a little more drive space but these days, that is plentiful and cheap.

As an added note, you might want to give the latest version of Outlook a try as your email client - although not as your news reader probably. My wife had tried earlier versions and always gone back to OE. I use Outlook at work and was so impressed with improvements in 2003 vs. earlier versions that I asked her to try it once more. We are both now happily using Outlook at home.

Newt,
  11. 2005/09/28
    Tenchy

great stuff guys, thanks a lot :cool:

i did get a message after installing the office SP2 that the update could not be applied but on shutting down the 4 items were installed apparently (is there a way to check?)

shall i follow instructions on how to remove these from windows update (the first link)?

as for opera, that really is no hassle. firefox is my primary browser with all the junk thrown into opera so what i have lost will be retrieved as my mind gets to it and what i have lost is no big thing, it will keep me occupied at least.

EDIT: i opened visio and under 'Help' i pressed 'About' and it said SP!, i tried through windows update and they were still failing so i don't know if it worked or not. i tried the SP2 update again and it said again that the update can not be applied HOWEVER i found the disc so will try the other option and get back to you

12. 2005/09/28
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

Tenchy--
    If things are running OK, probably not, but (and here recognize that I do not run Office).
    I hope someone with Office will help here.
    If this were a Windows Update I would say go to ControlPanel|Add/Remove|somewhere in the list there should be a list of updates to Office, but since I do not run Office, I cannot tell you if that is the case or under what heading it would appear (Microsoft, Windows, Office???).
    So wait for advice from those who know.

13. 2005/09/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Newt

Appreciate your comments :) I've run Office in all versions from 97 (missed out on XP) and have always made a custom install to avoid cluttering up the PC with unnecessary stuff - especially that extremely irritating Office Assistant :D Not had a problem with updates until yesterday and I remain fairly convinced that there are problems either with SP2 or the new version of Windows Installer (3.1) which is required for SP2.

Important to realise I think that - like most home users - I only scratch the surface of the capabilities of Office, which are immense and half the guff setup wants to install is completely irrelevant to my usage.

I remember your comments re. Outlook 2003 from a previous thread. I tried Outlook many moons ago and found it to be way beyond my needs and did not like the way in which it integrated into all other programs and became the default for everything. Maybe time to give it another try, but I am very comfortable with Outlook Express and Lotus Organizer for my calendar, etc.

Trenchy
    Look in Add/Remove Programs - make sure that 'Show Updates' is checked - SP2 is listed there. Alternatively - as you tried with Visio - Help > About in each of the components.

I had the same problem with Publisher that you have with Visio and solved it by uninstalling and reinstalling Publisher and applying SP2 again. Worked like a charm. You did note that Windows Installer 3.1 is required to install SP2? - about halfway down the page I posted for the download.

14. 2005/09/29
    Tenchy

thanks for all the comments guys, the 2 files on the msupdate download page (both the full and the smaller which required the disc) have failed. from what i read i could try uninstalling the lot and then running from PC?

15. 2005/09/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Have you confirmed that you have this upgrade - Add/Remove programs, etc. under Windows Installer 3.1. I can't think of any more reasons why it will not install.

Follow this thread for various experiences/solutions with SP2

16. 2005/09/29
    Tenchy

i have a windows installer 3.1 (KB893803)

my opera dilemna was solved after i undid the system restore, my real arcade i am beginning to lose patience with

17. 2005/09/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Suggest you start a new thread on this in the Other Software forum.

18. 2005/09/29
    Tenchy

I tried the detect/repair option that was mentioned in that link pete. All the Microsoft office entries gave a ‘fatal error’ during installation apart from one.

Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 …. This failed to repair
    Microsoft Office OneNote 2003 …. This failed to repair
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 …. This failed to repair
    Microsoft Office Project Professional 2003 …. This was successful
    Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2003 …. This failed to repair

i found this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...fc-5f56-4a38-b838-de776fd4138c&displaylang=en as i was clutching at straws. don't know if it means anything???

Last edited: 2005/09/29
  19. 2005/09/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

This is probably indicative of the fact that SP2 did not load correctly and the repair option does not have the right reference data to work on.

I hate to say this but a complete uninstall/reboot/reinstall may be your best option.

Why don't you contribute to the thread I posted?

20. 2005/09/29
    Tenchy

for a while i've fancied a reboot but find the data loss of stuff i have on c: drive daunting, is there a way around this in which i can save data? maybe purchasing an extra hard drive? or do you mean uninstall and reboot of office, which would be no real problem i THINK.

21. 2005/09/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Just seen your edit - I was composing while you posted ....

This seems to be equally relevant - also refers to v2 of the Windows Installer 3.1, but also suggests installing the full download , which you have already tried ....

When you try to install Office 2003 Service Pack 2, you receive a "The upgrade patch cannot be installed by the windows installer service" error message, or the Setup program may not be completed, and you do not receive notification

I was suggesting an uninstall/reinstall of Office and the other Office components you have loaded - not of XP :)
    Sounds like you have none of your data backed up :( You can burn it to CD/DVD, install a second hard drive or use a USB external hard drive.

If you do decide to reformat at some time I would strongly recommend partitioning the drive into at least 2 partitions, one for the OS and the other for your data. This way you can format the OS partition and reinstall Windows and all your apps without losing your data on the other partition. Plenty of info re. partitioning, how to and strategy on the Board - a simple search for partition or partitioning will bring up a list of hits.