1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Update Fails, Can't Uninstall Sophos

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by virginia, 2015/11/05.

1. 2015/11/05
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Helping a friend with a Toshiba Satellite laptop, W8.1, 64 Bit. There were some problems that led me to believe malware was present - and it was. I was just given a clean bill of health from Broni. The computer is running very well at this time.

Still have a couple of problems nagging me that I would like to run through this Forum.
    • Windows Update
      When I try to run WU, I get a dialog box - Windows Update can't check for updates because the service is not running.
      When I view Update History, it is blank.
      The last installed update was 10/20/2015.
      I ran the Windows Update FixIt tool but it told me it couldn't fix the problem.
    • Sophos End Point Security and Control
      Sophos kept me from downloading Adaware during the malware removal process.
      I couldn't disable Sophos completely.
      I tried to uninstall Sophos so I could activate Windows Defender. Couldn't do it through Control Panel. When I used Revouninstaller, it said that I had to be a Sophos administrator to uninstall (am an Administrator in Windows). Went to the Sophos site but couldn't get any information on how to show as Sophos Administrator. The uninstall appeared to go ahead and complete and then had over 7,000 registry entries to mark for deletion. Would that number be unusual? I cancelled the uninstall for the time being.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. 2015/11/05
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Robert. For the issue with Windows Update see this link, "Windows Update Cannot Check For Updates" error message when you try to install updates.

Just carry on with Revo Uninstaller and have it remove any remnants of Sophos that it finds. Make sure to create a restore point first though.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/11/05
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Evan,

Thanks for the response. Everything is under control now - were able to get updates and Sophos now appears to be behaving.

My friend was unable to use her usual user account due to a problem with the Microsoft Account password. I was doing all my work on her computer using a different user account but it was designated as an administrator account - but apparently didn't have the level of control it needed.

The Microsoft Account password problem was resolved this afternoon and she was able to log on to her usual user account. I was then able to get the Windows Updates downloaded and installed and can handle setting in Sophos now.

We may take a look at upgrading to Windows 10 in the near future and at that time will probably uninstall Sophos and activate Windows Defender. I will mark this thread "Resolved ".