1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Solitaire crashes on Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by irving777, 2013/04/27.

1. 2013/04/27
    irving777

irving777 Inactive Thread Starter

Microsoft Windows Games esp. Solitaire and I believe some or all of the others under 'Games' in the Start menu crash shortly after starting with the following message:
    "Executable for Solitaire Game has stopped working" "A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." [Close program] button.

These are the games that come pre-installed on new computers.

A web search shows that others have this same problem but I've not seen a solution for it.

2. 2013/04/27
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi irving777, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

Did this issue occur recently or have you had this problem ever since you got this machine?

The first I would try is to perform a clean boot in Windows 7 and see if that solves the problem. Take a look here, How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista

Make sure you install the latest version of your chipset and video drivers. You should also install the DirectX 9 Runtime if you haven't yet, DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010).

If that doesn't resolve the problem then click Start< My Computer. Navigate to C:\Program Files. Copy the entire Microsoft Games folder and paste it in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. Now navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games folder. For each game right click on the games .exe file, click Properties then click on the Compatibility Tab and make sure the Compatibility Mode is set to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008. Click Ok when done and repeat the process for each game .exe file in the Microsoft Games folder. See if that resolves the problem.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/04/28
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Irving ...

Your system specs don't indicate what edition of Win 7 you have installed. If Pro or Ultimate, and you've installed virtual XP Pro, you can copy the mshearts.exe, sol.exe, and cards.dll files from XP's C:\Windows\system32 folder to anywhere on your hard drive that you like. Just make sure that any shortcuts reflect the location.

MS's original Hearts and Solitaire games, which were included with Win 95/98 and XP (I can't speak for Me or Vista, as I didn't use them) are far superior (IMHO :)) to those included with Win 7.

5. 2013/04/29
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Evan, a clean boot is not "quick and easy ", although I like your suggestion. My alternative would be to boot into Safe Mode and try running it there. The problem might be caused by a third-party program that is running in the background.

DirectX, I doubt it is utilised to run a basic game like Solitaire. [It should work "Out of the box ".] Although this might point to another reason why some other program has interferred with it's operation.

Matt

6. 2013/05/02
    irving777

This (from Evan Omo) worked: "If that doesn't resolve the problem then click Start< My Computer. Navigate to C:\Program Files. Copy the entire Microsoft Games folder and paste it in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. Now navigate to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games folder. For each game right click on the games .exe file, click Properties then click on the Compatibility Tab and make sure the Compatibility Mode is set to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008. Click Ok when done and repeat the process for each game .exe file in the Microsoft Games folder. See if that resolves the problem. "

The Games on the Start menu are still pointing to the games that crash. Figuring out how to fix that will give me something to do... except if I can't figure that out I'll be back. :) Thanks everybody for the suggestions and help.

7. 2013/05/02
    Evan Omo

You can't change the path of the game shortcuts since the target path is grayed out if you try to modify the existing game shortcuts in the Start Menu. What you can do is open My Computer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games and for each game .exe, right click on each one and click Create Shortcut. When asked if you want to create the shortcut on the desktop click on Yes.

Once all of the new shortcuts for each game .exe have been created on the desktop, open My Computer and navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Games. Copy all of the new shortcuts from the desktop into that folder and now your new games shortcuts will now show up in the games folder in the Start Menu.

Make sure you delete the old shortcuts in the Start Menu< Games folder before putting the new ones in there. Otherwise you will have duplicate shortcuts.

8. 2013/05/03
    irving777

I followed Evan's instructions again, i.e. created new shortcuts and replaced the 'bad' shortcuts in the Start menu Games group with the new ones and everything looks and works as it should.
    (I didn't do the clean boot or check to see if I had the latest versions of my chipset and video drivers though and I'm glad I didn't have to. I broke out in a cold sweat and was trembling at the very thought of doing that stuff. :) I'm not familiar with that stuff and I usually get myself into some kind of trouble when I attempt to venture out of my comfort zone. :)
    Thanks all for the help.

9. 2013/05/03
    Evan Omo

Your Welcome. I am glad your issue has been resolved. :)