1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Server 2003 vs. 2012

Discussion in 'Windows Server System' started by Steve R Jones, 2015/03/25.

  1. 2015/03/25
    Steve R Jones

    Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

    Joined:
    2001/12/30
    Messages:
    11,848
    Likes Received:
    174
    Trophy Points:
    843
    Location:
    Dallas, TX
    Computer Experience:
    Experienced
    I have 8 bare metal servers in datacenters that are running Windows Server 2003 - 32bit with 4gigs of ram.

    They basically host SQL & Sybase databases for our clients... But five of them are Terminal Servers where the clients RDP in and run our accounting software.

    Since 2003 is coming to the end of it's lifecycle, we'll be switching to 2012 machines... I know even less about 2012 than I do 2003.

    Are there any major surprises that I might encounter? Is 2012 more of a resource hog and need more than 4 gigs of ram?

    One HUGE area for me will be getting PRINTERS to work in the Term Serv environment. We enable FallBack printing and 75% of printers would work fine on 2003. The other 25% require me to install drivers... Often times 2003 drivers weren't available so I would grab XP drivers and get them to work..

    Any thoughts on printers would be welcome.

    Thanks in advance.
     

Share This Page