1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows security update KB2862330 doesn't install properly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tquinn, 2013/10/20.

1. 2013/10/20
    tquinn Contributing Member

tquinn Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Recently my XP SP3 computer has been rebooting every night. I've traced it to a recent Windows Update KB2862330 that installs, reboots the computer, and then comes right back again with a flag in the system tray that tells you to install an update, and it is the same update that was just installed.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks at least. I searched the Microsoft website to see if there was something on this update not installing correctly, and cannot find it.

It's a pain because it reboots the computer when I sometimes don't want it to, like doing a video rendering overnight.

Plus, this update is supposedly important because it says that it fixes a problem that has critical security implications. If it isn't installing, then the problem is still there.

Here are Microsoft's security bulletins on this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862330

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/MS13-081

How do you let Microsoft know when something like this isn't working? The only feedback loop they provide it to tell them whether or not you like how their articles are written.

Terry

2. 2013/10/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

tquinn likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/10/20

Thanks for the suggestions, and the link to the discussion on this.

I unchecked it in the security window, and it was still in the system tray. I unchecked the update from the system tray, and the icon there went away.

I then reran the Microsoft search for updates, and it gave a warning that I've hidden a security update which isn't a good thing to do. So the Microsoft server thinks it is still not updated. Either it is, but it isn't doing what is needed to clear the update flag, both for a reinstall attempt and for informing the server that the update is done.

All this is fine if the update actually installed.

But if it has not installed, then the security risk is still there, and we have no way of knowing if it has or has not installed.

It would be nice if Microsoft fixed this.

tq

5. 2013/10/20
    Evan Omo

You can also check your Windows Update history and see if the status for that particular update is shown as being successfully installed.

6. 2013/10/21

Good suggestion. I just looked at that, and it shows this update with a green circle checkmark under "status" seven times over several days.

So it seems like it did get updated, and I should be okay to "hide" the continued effort to update. Doing that, I was able to get through the night without my computer automatically rebooting.

Thanks again for the help,

Terry

7. 2013/10/21
    Evan Omo

You're Welcome. :)

Since this issue is now resolved, please mark this thread as 'Resolved'.

8. 2013/10/27
    IDrinkV8

IDrinkV8 Inactive

Real solution to kb 2862330 update failing.

Hello,

Sorry to inform you but this thread is not resolved as indicated by the status. I had this issue as well and found the real solution.

If you research Microsoft Knowledgebase for this update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2862330) you will find that this update is about updating USB driver problem and on some systems may not update the driver correctly thus falling into an infinite update->reboot->update loop.

In the MS Knowledge Base article it is indicated that certain systems may have Companion Controllers and certain configurations will prevent the update from patching those USB drivers.
    In my case I found that my laptop did have the Companion USB Controllers mentioned on MS website:
    Dropbox hosted screenshot: http://db.tt/DujwJTl9

As instructed by MS disabled the companion controllers, and installed the update hoping for the best. Unfortunately after reboot I got congratulated for a successful update... and update was trying to install again.
    This time I completely uninstalled both companion controllers but still the same.
    Than I uninstalled ALL USB Controllers and installed the update. Surprisingly at the time, update installed and did not ask to reboot PC. That happened because the USB drivers where not in use at all and reboot was unnecessary. I still rebooted just to see what would happen.
    All of the USB drivers got detected and automatically re-installed. Everything was perfect.
    The update finally REALLY got applied and never asked to re-install again.

So to clear up, disabling the update does NOT fix the issue. It stops the annoying pop ups but update is never installed; even if your history claims otherwise.

The only risk I can see is that if you uninstall all USB controllers, you might loose control over your PC since most mice and keyboards are USB. Luckily in my case the laptop had touch-pad that obviously is not USB since never stopped operating. In worst case scenario, you will have to reboot the PC using power button and all USB stuff will re-install automatically.

Another idea is to install the update and then BEFORE rebooting uninstall all USB controllers. That way if you reboot there will be no conflicts and it should be able to patch your USB driver files.

I would recommend trying in order listed by me. In your case, just disabling companion controllers might be enough. Maybe uninstalling them will work. You all know how windows systems are, even simplest operation will work different on different PCs.

Hope this will work for y'all.

9. 2013/10/28

I've relabeled this thread to remove the RESOLVED tag.

If this problem is widespread, doing what you dug out in the knowledge article as a workaround will not be done by 95% of the people using XP.

Microsoft should modify the update to deal with all types of USBs. If they cannot do that, then they should be notifying the customers with explicit instructions on how to fix this on their computers.

10. 2013/10/28
    fdamp

fdamp Well-Known Member

Quit trying! I stopped that stupid update system 2 years ago. My computer runs just fine and anyone trying to hack it is welcome. They'll die of boredom.

As someone said on another thread, the bad guys are working their tails off trying to hack 8.0 and 8.1.

Tell MS updates to stick it.