1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows only plays its default sound theme

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by silverwolf107, 2017/02/19.

1. 2017/02/19
    silverwolf107

silverwolf107 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

For email, Facebook, etc alerts. As long as I'm on the default Windows sound theme, it plays an audio alert whenever I receive a desktop email (the banner popping up in the lower right of the desktop). I decided to create my only sound theme with custom sounds I've collected online over the years. I set them as I have in every other version of Windows I've used (from the 9x days). I tested each sound by clicking on the speaker icon and they all played. So I saved the theme and thought that was that.

Now, I only get silent toaster popups, with none of the audio I've set. I've been over the notification settings for each app with a fine tooth comb. All are enabled. If I switch back to the Windows default theme, the sound alerts from that play.

I simply cannot figure this out.

Thank you for any assistance.

Computer is a Powerspec G418 running Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Attached Files:

2. 2017/02/19
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/02/19
    silverwolf107

For an experiment, I did the registry hack, but also set the sound scheme picker back to the scheme I had created earlier. I emptied the Recycle Bin to test which sound would play and it played the one I had pick through the scheme picker, rather than the registry hack. Either way, email and message alerts still don't play. :-(

5. 2017/02/21
    alanrf

alanrf Well-Known Member

Not much help to you, but I find that Win 10 rarely if ever, plays a sound when mail is received. Sometimes, some days, the occasional email lets me know but the majority arrive silently. Most annoying.

Perhaps I too, need to investigate further.

6. 2017/02/21
    silverwolf107

That's interesting to know, alanrf. Upon further listening, I found that Windows actually is playing the other sounds in my custom scheme, just not the email one.

Way to go MS! *golfer's clap* *bronx cheer* :confused:

7. 2017/03/03
    silverwolf107

Guess what? I was checking off the wrong sound events. In order to get a sound from the Action Center, you must set a sound for Alert, not for Email or Message.