1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Windows ME: How do I connect DSL?]

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by APRIL228, 2008/08/31.

1. 2008/08/31
    APRIL228

APRIL228 Inactive Thread Starter

i have dsl hooked up on my Windows XP. but i also have another computer its a Windows ME, im wanting to unhook my dsl from my Windows XP and hook it up to my Windows ME so i can get my pictures and things off of it, but i dont know what computer adjustments i have to do to get it to work because the Win.ME has never had dsl hooked up on it. so if anyone can help i would highly appreciate it. thanks so much...

p.s im new at this.....:eek:

Last edited: 2008/08/31
  2. 2008/08/31
    dlsayremn

dlsayremn Inactive

Several questions. Information will make it easier to help.

!. Do you just want move your pictures and files from the ME to XP computer or do you want to upload them to a site on the internet?

2. What make/model dsl modem do you have? (modem/router)

3. Is your dsl connection ethernet?

4. Do you have an ethernet card in the ME machine?

5. Is your dsl modem wireless capable?

There are several possiblities depending upon what you have.

1. If you have ethernet card on the ME and your dsl modem connects by ethernet, you should be able to just plug the cable from the modem into the ethernet connection on the ME and get to the internet. You may have to go into Internet Options and make some changes if you have used the ME for dial-up.

2. If you have ethernet on ME and more than 1 ethernet connector on the modem (modem/router}, you can connect the ME with a second ethernet cable. This will let you share the dsl connection, and you can set up your own home network. This will allow you to transfer files from one computer to the other.

3. If the modem is wireless capable and you do not have ethernt on the ME, you could buy either a wireless card or USB wireless adaptor and set up that way.

4. Some dsl modem/routers like my Actiontec are also equipped to connect using a USB cable. Instructions and drivers for this are on the installation cd.

Since your computer is running ME it is probably about 8 years old and does not have an ethernet card.
    A wireless USB adaptor will cost between $20 - $40. It must be compatible with ME. Trendnet and Belkin still make them for 98SE, ME, 2000, XP. Can be installed without opening the case.
    You may be able to get an ethernet card for about the same price. Again, it must be compatible with ME. I know Linksys still makes them. Only problem with the ethernet card is you have to open the case to insatll it,
    Don't know if your local stores will carry them.

I have an Actiontec GT701-wg. 1 ethernet, 1 USB and wireless capable. Connected by ethernet to my Vista machine and I use US Robotics USB wireless adaptors on my 98SE and ME machines. The ME was connected by USB to the modem until I had a problem with it and finally bought a new computer last year.

DLSayremn

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/09/03
    visionof

visionof Inactive

get a router to share the connection between the two computers
    get two messenger accounts of the same type - i.e. msn messenger , skype ,yahoo eyeball chat etc
    Then just connect the two messenger accounts
    The connection is over the internet but transfer by the router will be your home network - fast
    You can compress the files with winzip or winrar if you want to bulk pack them in one larger envelope rather than one file at a time
    if its less than 100 mb you can use you send it

http://www.yousendit.com/