1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Installer 'error 1635' prevents Outlook from launching

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by mbremer, 2010/06/29.

1. 2010/06/29
    mbremer

mbremer Inactive Thread Starter

Outlook version: '97

When launching Outlook, the Windows Installer window appears with the following error: 'an error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now?' Yes or No

When I click 'No' I get this error: 'Outlook has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application.'

When I click 'yes' I get this error: 'Microsoft Outlook cannot install the necessary files due to Windows Installer error 1635. This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor o verify this is a valid windows installer patch package.'

I then click 'OK' and receive this msg: 'Outlook has not been installed for the current user. Please run setup to install the application.'

---------------------------

Question: I have Windows Install Cleanup, but am hesitant to run it for fear of causing irreparable damage. I have vital information contained in my Outlook folders - is there any way to restore my Outlook program or retrieve the data? I can actually see my folders behind the error windows, but I can not access them - frustrating :(

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide

Mark

2. 2010/06/29
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Me thinks you've gotten your money out this ol doggie...

Anyway - do you have your Office cd in the drive when you say YES?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/06/29
    mbremer

Steve, thanks for responding - 100% agree with you - time for a new version :eek:

Tried launching Outlook with Office cd in the drive - chose yes & got the same results & error msg as above. Is there any way to retrieve archives or repair Outlook w/o losing my folders & data?

Last edited: 2010/06/29
  5. 2010/06/30
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Outlook doesn't have 'folders', all your data is in the .PST file. So backup your .PST file then reinstall/repair office.

To find the location of your PST file, right-click the Outlook icon on your Start menu & choose Properties. Click the Data Files button. Select your Default Personal Folders, and click Open Folder...

Arie,
  6. 2010/07/03
    mbremer

Arie / Steve: thank you. Backed up .PST file, re-installed Office & Outlook is intact :) Please mark this thread [Resolved]

Mark