1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Explorer "This device can perform faster"

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by bsilverfox, 2016/04/21.

1. 2016/04/21
    bsilverfox

bsilverfox Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a desktop HP Pavillion P6510y AMD Athlon ll 630 quad core processor
    4 G ddr3 RAM 750G HD way less than 1/2 being used
    Windows 7 Home & IE 11 v 11.0.30
    PROBLEMS:
    1 Computer has been running SLOW for a long time
    2. Frequent IE notice: "IE has encountered a problem and has to close "
    No solutions offered.

I have:
    Closed CC Cleaner and MalwareBytes Premium except when I open them to run scans. After doing that I started receiving "notifications" that shows(Windows Explorer Icon + message "This device can perform faster "
    I have been unable to find any "help" that suggests what that means or what to do.

I have also found that Windows Defender is running on my computer along with Norton Security Suite which is provided by my ISP Comcast. I cannot find any way to shut down Windows defender and am not sure which would be the best of the 2 to run for security. There is a message somewhere in Windows Defender that running more that 1 security program will slow the computer down.

Since I closed CC Cleaner and MalwareBytes the problems have come up less frequently but have not gone away and are still a daily nuisance. I also have closed a few programs when I am not using them to lessen the drain on resources.
    Any help, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Would adding more RAM be helpful?

I am not asking for help concerning Incredimail--I hope it will take care of itself when the IE problem is resolved and I know it is not an issue for this forum. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! Bill

2. 2016/04/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Turning Windows Defender on or off

Despite being a resource hog I would stick with Norton.
    Only if you are running 64 bit Windows 7 - 32 bit will only recognise and use up to 4 GB.
    Do you have a USB 2 or 3 device plugged into a USB 1 slot? Plenty of hits on this message here. I don't see the connection with CCleaner & Malwarebytes though.
    Give Firefox a try :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/04/21
    bsilverfox

bsilverfox Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello, Pete----Thank you for your prompt response to my post. I followed your directions and was able to turn Windows Defender off.

I do have Win 7 Home Prem 64bit and I think I will try adding another 4 G RAM.

I have had a Logitech Device for a wireless mouse & keyboard plugged into a USB 2 slot in the front of my desktop unit for several years now and have never had a "notification" before. I rebooted after closing Windows Defender and the "notification has not come back. Yet.

I have never tried a browser other than IE. I trust downloading Firefox and installing it will not be a problem. I'm gonna try.

I decided not to have CC Cleaner and MalwareBytes open and running to try and lower the load on the PC resources and now only Norton is running.

Thank you again for your response and help!