1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Windows Booting Problem

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Supermaine, 2013/03/13.

1. 2013/03/13
    Supermaine

Supermaine Inactive Thread Starter

Alright so after going to Microsoft Answer Desk about three times and still not having my issue resolved, I've reached my wits end. Hopefully I can find some help here.

I'll briefly explain the issue and the steps I've already taken. Each time the problem seemed to get a little better, but it still persists.

1. Originally my computer wouldn't boot up at all. I would get the Windows Boot Manager screen telling me to insert my system disc. I did that. I was advised to run startup repair. So I did that as well. The computer then booted fine.

2. Upon restarting it the following day, the windows boot manager screen came back up. I quickly realized that the only way to boot up my computer was to run a startup repair each and every time. I know this isn't normal, so again I was advised to try something called a Vista Repair Install. I did this step, computer booted up fine.

3. The following day (today) I realized I no longer need to run startup repair for it to boot, so that part is resolved. I no longer need to do a vista repair install either, that seemed to work. But now to boot up I go to the Bios Settings and edit the boot sequence order. The funny part about that is, I NEVER CHANGE THE ORDER. The order is set to:

First: Hard Drive
    Second: CD/DVD

So what I have to do is change the first from Hard Drive to CD/DVD... and then change it right back to Hard Drive again. Then I save and exit BIOS, and wahlah! The computer boots up perfectly. I have to do that EVERY time or Vista fails to load.

I'm not sure what the underlying problem is. Like I said, Microsoft Answer Desk agents have helped in increments, as the problem has gotten better and better, but I'm looking for a RESOLUTION once and for all.

2. 2013/03/13
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The BIOS is part of the motherboard and doesn't even need an Operating System (such as Microsoft Windows) to work. If the BIOS is not working correctly, there is no Operating System that is going to be able to 'fix' it.

Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery? They usually run 3 to 4 bucks (USD).

Did you test the RAM?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2013/03/13
    Supermaine

I was told that if it was the CMOS battery, the date and time would be wrong on my computer or something along those lines. However, that's not the case.

And no I have not, I've only done what they told me to do thus far. How would I go about testing the RAM?

5. 2013/03/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

6. 2013/03/13
    Supermaine

Thanks. I'll run this over night and check back in with you guys tomorrow.

7. 2013/03/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Supermaine, It would help us to help you if you took the time to fill in your "System Details ".
    Under "UserCP" and don't forget to scroll to the bottom and Save before closing. Neil.

8. 2013/03/14
    Supermaine

No problem. I will update my system details later on today when I get the chance. I ran the Memory Diagnostics Tool and it said:

The Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool tested the computer's memory and detected no errors

9. 2013/03/14
    Supermaine

System details are now updated as well as I could.

10. 2013/03/14
    Evan Omo

On the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool did you make sure to use the Extended testing mode instead of the Standard mode? I would try running the Extended test if you haven't done so yet and then see if there are any errors.

11. 2013/03/14
    Supermaine

Oh no, I didn't change any settings. It ran two passes I believe, but thank you. I'll do that overnight tonight then with Extended selected instead.

12. 2013/03/15
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

I would start by replacing the CMOS battery anyway. What you got to lose? A few bucks at most....

13. 2013/03/15
    Supermaine

I agree.

BTW, I tried the Memory Diagnostics Tool with extended settings and it still found no errors.

Just to be sure, is this the last recommendation you guys have? I ask because I will not be free to go and get a new battery for a few days, so if there's any other fixes you guys can think of in the meantime, I have no problem trying them.

14. 2013/03/15
    Evan Omo

You could try resetting the BIOS values back to the default values just for good measure and then see if the boot order keeps changing after you boot up the machine.

If that doesn't help then I would replace the CMOS battery as Arie stated above.

15. 2013/03/15
    Supermaine

I will definitely take his advice!

And sorry if I was unclear in my original post, but the BIOS settings never actually get "Changed ". The boot order is the same every time I have to go in the BIOS. The only thing I do is edit the sequence differently, then edit it right back to the way it already was. It takes about 5 seconds, then I save and exit, and it boots fine lol. Weird.

Also, I discovered some additional information that may be significant or it may not. But, you know how the computer has to restart while running the memory tests? It booted up perfectly every time. It also boots up perfectly every time after I install windows updates. It seems when the computer is telling itself to restart, it works. It's just when I try to boot it up myself, I have to tinker with the BIOS.

16. 2013/03/18
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

That is called a warm boot. Starting from pressing the power button is a cold boot. In a warm boot the system "remembers" it's settings.

Have you changed the CMOS battery yet? If you shut down, disconnect the power, then "quickly" swap the batteries, you probably won't lose any settings. It only involves resetting the date/time if you aren't "quick enough" and that also completely resets the BIOS, which should be good, not bad. Small note...try not to leave "fingerprints" on the battery, it leaves a smear of oil.

My main suggestion...do Error Checking (CHKDSK) on the hard drive. Look up Error Checking in Help andf Support and set it to check the surface of the HDD.

Sounds to me like it is having trouble finding or loading the Operating System. After that, if there is a change (it boots consistently) consider that the HDD has bad sectors and you will need to replace it (because the surface of the disk is starting to break down).

Matt

17. 2013/03/18
    Supermaine

I haven't gone to get the battery yet, I will be going tomorrow. I just opened the case to find out the battery I'll need. It says: KTS CR2032 on it. My question is, would any CR2032 battery work (Duracell, Energizer, etc.) or does it have to specifically be KTS?

As far as the CHKDSK is concerned, I ran that overnight. Not sure what any of this means, but these were the results:

Checking file system on C:
    The type of the file system is NTFS.
    Volume label is ACER.

A disk check has been scheduled.
    Windows will now check the disk.
    305088 file records processed. 1362 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 60 reparse records processed. 362998 index entries processed. 0 unindexed files processed. 305088 security descriptors processed. CHKDSK is compacting the security descriptor stream...
    Cleaning up 25670 unused security descriptors.
    28956 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
    36341384 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
    305072 files processed. File data verification completed.
    CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
    3088740 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete.
    CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
    master file table (MFT) bitmap.
    Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.

145905663 KB total disk space.
    132998828 KB in 214546 files.
    138088 KB in 28959 indexes.
    4 KB in bad sectors.
    413783 KB in use by the system.
    65536 KB occupied by the log file.
    12354960 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
    36476415 total allocation units on disk.
    3088740 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
    c0 a7 04 00 3b b7 03 00 93 9d 06 00 00 00 00 00 ....;...........
    52 05 00 00 3c 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 R...<...........
    42 00 00 00 a2 73 ec 76 50 8d 15 00 50 85 15 00 B....s.vP...P...

Windows has finished checking your disk.
    Please wait while your computer restarts.

18. 2013/03/18
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

CR2032 is a standard battery - the make is unimportant.

20 is the diameter, 3.2 is the thickness - in millimetres.

19. 2013/03/18
    Evan Omo

As far as I know it does not matter what manufacturer of CMOS battery you get. As long as its the same model type then any manufacturer for the battery will be fine.

20. 2013/03/18
    Supermaine

Okay thanks guys.

I'll be purchasing it tomorrow. After installing it I'll try to boot up about 4 or 5 times to see if the problem still persists. I'll update you on the situation as soon as I can.

21. 2013/03/19
    Supermaine

An update:

I went and bought the battery today. Came home and installed it. The first time the computer booted I went into the BIOS just to be sure the boot order would be correct and also changed the time. Saved, exited, and it rebooted fine.

The second time, the same problem I had before occurred again. I had to go back into the BIOS and tinker with the settings for it to boot up. So it appears the problem hasn't been resolved.