1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows Backup Not Working.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Pepse, 2011/04/18.

1. 2011/05/05
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

lj50 likes this.
  2. 2011/05/06
    Pepse

Pepse Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I wanted to mention before I look at the link you gave that Yes I always backup to a DVD.

Pepse.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/05/08
    Pepse

Well, that didn't help. With the error code I checked out regedit and evrything looks like it should.

Pepse.

5. 2011/05/09
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Well, I think you're SOL.

It looks like Windows backup is about as fragile as Windows Update, it breaks when you look at it.

Personally I'd recommend Acronis True Image Home.

If you'd like to get Windows backup working again, your best bet would be to backup your user data (in this case just copy your data to an external drive), then format your hard drive & reinstall Windows 7.

6. 2011/05/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

7. 2011/05/09
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Hi Pepse
    Just out of curiosity, are you running Microsoft Security Essentials?
    If yes, is it active when you run backups?

8. 2011/05/09
    Pepse

Arie and PeteC, so as for backing up things your just saying to save my pictures and audio files? If so wouldn't just putting those items on a CD or DVD be adequate? Or am I missing something?

As for Windows 7 am I able to re-install it again? I heard that it is a one shot deal. If it breaks or whatever you gotta buy a new copy. If so, Win7 Ultimate ain't cheap.

Dennis L, I might sound stoopid here but I have no idea if I am running MSE. I set this up in Jan. and I don't really remember what I turned on or not. Although I don't think I did.

Pepse.

9. 2011/05/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You need to be clear as to the difference between backing up your data and imaging (backing up) your Windows Operating System ......

You should always maintain a current backup of all your important data - this is far more than your pictures and audio files. You should back up every data file that you have created - Word docs, Excel spreadsheets, etc, etc and include a backup of emails, Favourites in IE or Firefox or your chosen browser amongst other things.

This can be done by copying the data to an external USB drive, CD or DVD, but the disadvantage here is that you need to backup all the data each time and not that which has changed or is additional to the last backup. An Incremental backup backs up only those files which have changed since the last backup and Windows Backup and Acronis can be used for this purpose.

The Operating System cannot be backed up by a simple copy because many files are in use when the OS is running. The solution is to image the drive which both Windows 7 Backup and Acronis can accomplish either as a one off image or as an incremental image.

As you have issues with Windows 7 Backup I suggest you explore the use of Acronis - as I posted WD provide a free copy for use on WD drives - other manufacturers may offer the same or their own imaging software. Depending on which of the drives you list has Win 7 installed this may or may not be an option for you.
    Yes, of course - it is not a one shot wonder :) How this is done depends on how the OS was installed in the first place. You will have either a Retail copy of W7U or a Recovery disk/partition. Using either of the latter two will reformat the drive and restore the computer to the as delivered state, i.e. all your data and programs you installed will be wiped out - hence the need for a current data backup which should include any downloaded programs which you have installed.

There is also the possibility of Repairing Windows 7 - see ....

How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

Startup Repair

10. 2011/05/10
    Pepse

Pete C, just making sure of things. I have the retail copy of window7. I bought it online through Microsoft. I will look in to your links to see if that works right or if I need to buy an external HDD and do whatever I need.

Also, if I see this right what Windows 7 Backup (as well as Acronis) saves is certain items so that when I do this re-install I will be able to take off what is saved with Acronis and it will look like it did before this problem started? You see I do the weekly Win7 backup because I figure there is need for it although I am not really sure why; until now it looks like:).

Also, a lot has changed in windows since I ran it exclusively. I switched to Linux in 2001 and ran Win98SE occasionally until about 2005. Then ran Win XP until sort of Jan. Although I did have the Win7 RC1 that I was able to make work until January. So, as a quick plug, Windows 7 seems better than its predecessors. Easier to run for sure. Not quitting Linux but at least Windows is better than it used to be.

Anyway, enough babbling I will look into the repair things first and go from there or do whatever seems right. I will post back as soon as I can.

Pepse.