1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 98 seriously dead HELP

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by stitch, 2003/09/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/09/14
    stitch

stitch Inactive Thread Starter

wont let me go back to d prompt every time i hit a key it repeats. Abort, Retry, Fail? should i just hit the reboot button

2. 2003/09/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yes

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/09/14
    stitch

obviously i have gone backwords a bit now so PLEASE stay with me. The screen now says.
    Preparing to start your computer. This may take a few minutes. Please wait.
    The diagnostic tools were successfully loaded to drive E.
    MSCDEX Version 2.25
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1986-1995. All rights reserved.
    Drive F: = Driver MSCD001 unit 0
    Drive G: = Driver MSCD001 Unit 1
    To get help, type HELP and press enter
    A:\>
    What next?:)

5. 2003/09/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I'll stay with you - have a phone call to make around 10.15, but I'll be back.

This is strange - you now appear to have a couple of CD drives. Have you? CD + CD writer?

Anyway go to the F: prompt and type F:\win98\scandisk.exe /all. If that doesn't work try G:

6. 2003/09/14
    stitch

did its scan disk now asks if i want it to do a surface scan but this will take 2 hrs can i miss this bit my eyes are glazing i do have 2 drives one is a 4gb and the other a 30. dont care about 4gb but the at the moment i just want the comp to work so i dont care where windows goes as long as it works. i did say at the begining that i had two drives.

Last edited: 2003/09/14
  7. 2003/09/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Well, you should really as setup detected errors, but if scandisk fixed any errors you could skip it for now and run setup again.

If setup complains again about disc errors then you have no choice - do it tomorrow?.

8. 2003/09/14
    stitch

didnt find any problems on drive c
    then it scanned d
    now it says the file allocation tables (Fats) on this drive do not match.
    scandisk has determined that copy 1 is the best copy.
    If you choose to fix it, scandisk will replace copy 2 od the fat with copy 1.
    Fixit..........dont fixit...........more info
    ???????????????????

9. 2003/09/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I am equally confused - you now appear to have two partitions on your hard drive - which does explain the CD drives being F and G with the temporary ram disk as E presumably, but don't worry about that fornow.

Seems like we are sinking deeper in the mire.

As it's getting late 'Fixit' and try to load Windows.

I feel another format coming on.

10. 2003/09/14
    stitch

ok did the scn disk and whatever else that followed got back to an F prompt and nothing it went back to Abort Retry Fail . thats it its out the window. im going to bed. will be on to morrow night if you could poss help then. but its getting shut off now. thanks anyway.:( :confused:

11. 2003/09/14
    FireDancer Lifetime Subscription

FireDancer Inactive

Stitch,

I am back now I see you have made progress and yes when you type the command to copy the files it shoulf look just like this....

Copy E:\Win98\*.* C:\Win98

there is a space between the last * and the C When the files copy and are done you should hyave 101 files copied

FireDancer

12. 2003/09/14
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

That is a probelm that I have yet to see be fixed and still work.

I thinkyou need Norton DiskDoctor RUN FROM A DOS BOOT UP and let it do a complete drive check including surface.

I say this as some things I am reading sort of point to bad clusters on the HD which SCANDISK will not fix

BillyBob

Last edited: 2003/09/14
  13. 2003/09/14
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

I went through this thread and can tell that all you want to do at this point is get windows installed onto the C: drive. The C: drive has no errors, and errors on D: prevents setup from running. Wherever you decide to install windows from use this command. replace the X for the drive.
    X:\Win98\setup.exe /is
    The /is bypasses running scandisk while running windows setup.

14. 2003/09/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Markp62

What puzzles me in all this is the sudden appearance of D drive - after the format D: was the CD Rom - now we appear to have 2 partitions and 2 CD Rom drives of which F: is not responding - maybe it's virtual?

I was going to suggest that she start over again and reformat the disk, which may well be dodgy as BB suggests.

Any further thoughts on this?

Edit:

I now see that stitch edited a past post while the thread was ongoing last night and dropped in the bit about 2 drives. I missed that at the time.

15. 2003/09/15
    stitch

Hi All Helpers

Sorry I went ofline last night but it had got to the point where I couldn't see the screen anymore. Have cut and pasted this whole thread and will go through it later to day and will be back online after six tonight to get some more advice.
    PS The computer was put through a scandisk just befor it went belly up yesterday. It also had a dfrag and system file check. No problems came to light. until the system file check when it sudenly shut down and tried to reboot and got stuck in that cycel. It could't even get to desk top in safe mode. it would just reboot itself.
    Any help later would be gratefully accepted.

16. 2003/09/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hi Stitch

You weren't the only one :)

I'll be around at 6 tonight - before we start again please answer this question ....

How many CD drives are there in the m/c ?

1 - just a CD Rom drive

or

2 - CD Rom and a CD Writer

17. 2003/09/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I've just re-read the thread and spotted that you edited a post to say you had 2 drives (and I can't find a ref. to 2 drives at the beginning) - I missed that when following the thread last night. Not a good idea to edit past threads when the situation is ongoing - just make a new post, please - saves a lot of confusion :)

markp62's post is now clear - do as he suggests and keep us posted. Use 'F' or 'G' in place of 'X'

18. 2003/09/15
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Hey - stitch - Where are you?? Gone 6

19. 2003/09/15
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

That will come back to haunt you if done that way.

Scandisk & Defrag may not be enough.

I recieved no Yea or Nay about suggesting Norton DiskDoctor. But from all I have read I am betting heavily that there may well be Bad Clusters existing and nothing will work properly untill they are fixed.

And DiskDoctor should be run after booting to a DOS Floppy.

And if a re-format is thought of run NDD ( from DOS ) first.

I myself have Norton Utilities installed on the HD but the DOS utilities are also on a bootable CDROM.

Or I can boot with a floppy and run them from the CDROM.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2003/09/15
  20. 2003/09/15
    stitch

im back

hi fella's
    as i said earlier i had copied and pasted these threads into word and sat and studied them at work today. and guess what I DID IT:D
    the comp is now at desk top with windows running. trying to sort out modem now but I WILL GET THERE.

If you can help with that. that would be great. but these threads seem to slow. i found my biggest problem was getting one answer then getting another. when i read through everything and chopped bits out it only took me about an hour to get up and running and that included the installation of windows.
    :)

anyway problem with modem is that i know that befor it was on com3 but now i cant find com 3 it only says com1 and com2:confused:

21. 2003/09/15
    FireDancer Lifetime Subscription

FireDancer Inactive

Hi Stitch,

I am glad to hear you are up and running after alot of headache but sometimes thats all these blasted things are good for!!! May I ask you what route you took for format and installation? And yes sometimes you just need to walk away and forget it for a while :) to get a fresh lok at things.. you did good!!!!!

Very best regards,

FireDancer ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.