1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 98 Power Management

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by JRG, 2003/05/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/05/26
    JRG

JRG Inactive Thread Starter

When I go to Screen Saver settings under Control Panel/Display, I can change the actual screen saver, but I cannot adjust my other power management settings. My monitor will go off at about 10 minutes, as will my hard drive, since I previously set those two using power management.
    Now, however, when I push the power management button (on the screen saver screen), my machine does nothing - I cannot get to the settings to change those two items.

What gives?

JRG,
  2. 2003/05/26
    sunny

sunny Inactive

Have you tried going to Control Panel, Power Management. Can you adjust the setting from that window?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/05/27
    JRG

I tried that option also; it does nothing when I click the icon "Power Management"

Any other ideas?

JRG,
  5. 2003/05/27
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Try using the System File Checker [sfc.exe] and replace the C:\Windows\System\Powercfg.Cpl file from the Windows CD or where the setup files are located on the hard drive [C:\Windows\Options\Cabs ?]. This is the one that does the Power Management.

6. 2003/05/27
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

If you at one time were able to use all Power Mgmt functions smoothly and now you can't. then most likely Power Mgmt is corrupted or else some system driver conflicts with it. Usual causes of PM troubles are 3rd party drivers such as those in software firewalls, external drives, 3rd party screen saver apps etc etc.

If PM is corrupted, remove it from the system via Device Manager and reboot. Plug&Play will detect it and reload it brand new.

7. 2003/05/30
    JRG

I tried the SYS.EXE and it did not pick up on the error. I want to use the second option with Device Manager; where, exactly, is power management? Walk me through it and I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

JRG,
  8. 2003/05/30
    KevinSaul

KevinSaul Inactive

As MarkP62 said
    Try using the System File Checker [sfc.exe] and replace the C:\Windows\System\Powercfg.Cpl file from the Windows CD or where the setup files are located on the hard drive [C:\Windows\Options\Cabs ?]. This is the one that does the Power Management

Start > Run, type SFC, > OK

Select Extract one file from installation disk and type
    C:\Windows\System\Powercfg.cpl

Click Start and where it says Restore from type in the location of your CAB files or browse to them, wether they're on the installation CD or on the HDD

Last edited: 2003/05/30
  9. 2003/05/30
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Replacing the .CPL will likely not solve the problem IF Power management is corrupted. Power Mgmt is a set of drivers (firmware) that are basis to the windows OS.

In Device manager:

Expand System devices

Remove Power Management Support (usually 1st System device listed)

Reboot.

10. 2003/05/30
    JRG

I tried Sys.exe again and went thru the steps. It said the file was successfully replaced. However, it still did nothing. Additionally, I noted that my Power Management icon under control panel/settings is no longer there.

I then went to device manager again. I don't have "Power Management Support" listed (as far as I can tell) under the systems tree; I have Advanced Config and Power Interface BIOS and Composite Power Source, but nothing else with the word "power ".

Other ideas?

JRG,
  11. 2003/05/31
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

You do have Windows 98?
    What kind of computer do you have?
    (some vendors such as Compaw, HP have their own Power Management devices)

12. 2003/05/31
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

I would run the Add New Hardware Wizard and let it run and see what it finds. I have noticed that Advanced Power Management is not alway detected upon startup, the Wizard usually detects it.

Last edited: 2003/05/31
  13. 2003/05/31
    JRG

I have Windows 98 and the Power Management item worked before. My computer is generic.

JRG,
  14. 2003/06/01
    jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

Here is how to disable it , starting with the Bios .

Reverse the process .

15. 2003/06/01
    jmatt

jmatt Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.