1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 98 backup

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by trishanth, 2010/02/03.

1. 2010/03/10
    Ed999

Ed999 Inactive

Details to follow

Okay, but it will have to be tomorrow. I had a problem with a disk I was repairing, and this turned out to be the cause. It was ages ago, but not the sort of thing you forget!

2. 2010/03/10
    trishanth

trishanth Inactive Thread Starter

HI Guys ,
    I used the FDISK from the DOS prompt on my 98 system,It worked fine and it didn't gave me any problem, I also found the my hard drive belongs to FAT32 not FAT16 from that FDISK at dos prompt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/03/11
    Ed999

Ed999 Inactive

The easiest way to add a backup storage device to Windows 98 SE is to use an external device, as that simply plugs into one of your computer's existing sockets. If your computer has USB sockets, that will be a much easier option for you - with your tiny 2GB hard disk - than fitting a second internal hard disk.

There are a whole lot of USB pen drives (small storage devices) you can buy, that are 2GB or larger. I have an 8GB pen drive, but you can buy them fairly cheaply as large as 32GB. It will be dead easy to copy all your files to an 8GB USB pen drive.

However, you do need to be careful to buy a USB device that says on the box that it's for USB 1.1 (they usually say "device is for USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 "), because Windows 98 USB sockets use only USB 1.1; so a USB device that's only marked "USB 2.0" won't work!

This is because all Windows 98 computers that came from the manufacturer with USB fitted, only had USB 1.1, not the much faster USB 2.0 that later computers use, as USB 2.0 was not introduced until 2001.

But as you have only a very small hard disk to back-up, even backing it up at the very slow USB 1.1 speed should be okay. With a larger hard disk, USB 1.1 would be too slow though (e.g. a 40GB hard disk backup would take several hours, at USB 1.1 speed).

However, a bigger problem is that not all Windows 98 computers come with USB sockets. If yours doesn't have any, you can add them by opening the computer's case and installing a PCI expansion card with USB sockets on. That is not as complicated as adding an internal (IDE) hard disk, and has the advantage that you can fit a PCI card that has the faster USB 2.0 sockets.

If you do choose to add a PCI card that uses USB 2.0, the PCI card you buy must be one that includes in the box USB driver files for Windows 98. Not all do! Of course, if you install USB 2.0 you don't need to worry about what type of USB pen drive to buy: a USB 2.0 pen drive will, of course, work fine with a USB 2.0 PCI card.

If your computer does have existing USB 1.1 sockets, consider how much simpler life will be for you if you fit an add-on PCI Card that has USB 2.0 sockets, as those run much, much faster than USB 1.1 does!

And perhaps you can get your local computer store to install the PCI Card for you?

Bear in mind that although Windows ME has built-in drivers for USB 1.1, Windows 98 does not. To use any type of USB device with Windows 98 you must obtain driver files from an external source (i.e. not from the Windows installation CD). So if you're buying a USB pen drive device to use with Windows 98, only buy one that says on the box that it includes Windows 98 drivers.

If you buy a USB pen drive that has no Windows 98 drivers supplied with it, you can try using the generic mass storage drivers for Windows 98 that are available on the internet; but there is no guarantee that they will work with your particular device.

Also, bear in mind that you will need a different type of generic driver depending on which version of Windows 98 you have. One type will ONLY work with Windows 98 Second Edition. The other type only work with the original release of Windows 98 (the so-called "first edition ", a.k.a. "Windows 98 Gold "). USB can get very complicated! More details here: http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php

So, be safe:-

(a) Buy a USB pen drive that's 2GB or larger; though it may be a waste of money to buy one bigger than 8GB, if you'll only be using it to back up a 2GB hard disk. (And old ones, i.e. those of 2GB or 4GB capacity, are more likely to include Windows 98 drivers).

(b) Don't buy a USB pen drive device unless it says on the box that Windows 98 drivers are included.

(c) Don't buy a USB pen drive unless it says on the box that it's compatible with USB 1.1 (unless you are also adding a USB 2.0 PCI card).

(d) If you buy a PCI card with USB 2.0 sockets, only buy one that comes with Windows 98 driver files. (It won't tell you, but this type of PCI card only ever includes drivers that work with Windows 98 Second Edition: the supplied USB 2.0 drivers NEVER work with "first edition" Windows 98.)

5. 2010/03/11
    trishanth

Thanks for all the help ED, I have USB ports on the back of my computer,i am gonna try as you say,

I also have this problem that my computer is not connecting to internet at all,I tried to connect with a LAN cable from the near by router but its not connecting, I have this Small Business Server 2008 and if i can some how hook this system to the domain it will be great, But unfortunately this guy is not even connecting to the internet, I usually need to change the TCP/IP adapter settings for every computer to use LAN in my internal network , But for this guy i have no idea can you help me out pleaseeee,

Thanks,
    TRI

6. 2010/03/11
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Tri,

I'll refer you back to my reply in post #8

You can find the networking forum here ;)

7. 2010/03/11
    trishanth

I tried to hook my existing usb drive to the usb port, i also copied the drivers onto the desktop but my system is not at all responding, So now how do you guys want me to proceed

8. 2010/03/12
    Ed999

Ed999 Inactive

What type of external USB drive are you using? (Manufacturer / Model / Size)

To use any USB device with Windows 98SE, I refer you to my previous post (above). In particular:

1. Windows 98 does not have any native drivers for USB.

2. If you use third party drivers (i.e. non-Microsoft drivers) for USB, you must use driver files that were specifically written for Windows 98. It is no good using ones supplied by the external drive's manufacturer, unless they came marked "Windows 98 ".

3. If you use generic Windows 98 drivers, from an internet USB self-help site, make sure you get ones for your type of Windows 98: i.e. Win98 Second Edition.

The driver files must be installed. Do the following in this order:-

1. With your computer switched off, unplug the USB external device.

2. Start the computer. The .INF (installation) file must be put in the C:\WINDOWS\INF folder and the other files must be put in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder, so copy them to those locations.

3. Shut down the computer normally.

4. Plug the external USB device into a USB port (and to external power if required). Then re-start the computer. The plug-and-play function will detect the .INF file at start-up, and should then automatically find the driver files that you put in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

5. If the plug-n-play wizard asks you to specify the location of the driver files (it probably won't, but it might), you would then point it to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

6. If the USB device is not recognised, open the Device Manager and examine it for any faulty entries. Faults are devices with a ! or a ? beside them. Include a description of any faults with your next post.

To open device manager, go to -

START > SETTINGS > CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM

then click the "Device Manager" tab.

9. 2010/04/01
    Danan1997

Danan1997 Inactive

old fashion computer

I had computer and I turn it on and work very well my question is if I hock it in the phone wire and try work on it is any thing will happen or nothing will happen.
    and I am trying to find a mouse for it and a wire to hock it to the phone where yu thing I can find these

10. 2010/04/13
    Ed999

Ed999 Inactive

Firstly, what version of Windows are you using? The solutions will be different for Windows 95, Windows 98 "first edition ", Windows 98SE, or Windows ME.

If you are considering installing an internet connection in the computer, *please* go to your local computer store and have them fit one for you!

It is necessary to install a PCI card modem (i.e. a PCI card that acts as a Dial-up modem) into one of the PCI slots inside the computer. To do this, you must first find a PCI card that supports the version of Windows you are using. It will be difficult to find a PCI card that supports Windows 9x, because they are not making many now, and you may have to buy a second-hand one for Windows 95/98/ME, e.g. from eBay.

The point is that the PCI card modem comes with software, and that software must be for the version of Windows 9x that you are running.

In principal, you install the modem software by following the instructions that come with it, and then, with the computer turned off (and disconnected from the mains), and with you wearing an anti-static wrist strap to avoid damaging the electronics, you open the computer's case and plug the PCI card into the PCI slot, close the case, plug the phone line into the modem port on the PCI card (at the back of the computer case), then reattach power and start the computer normally.

It's a complicated procedure.

You need to find out whether the computer uses a PS/2 mouse, or a USB mouse. You can buy a computer mouse of either type on-line at any major computer retailer, e.g. www.amazon.com

You can also buy the necessary telephone extension cable there for connecting the computer's dial-up modem to the phone socket.

You don't mention which country you are living in. If you live outside the USA, you will do best to buy these items from an on-line store in your own country, to be certain that they meet the technical requirements of, for example, your telephone system.

Last edited: 2010/04/13
  11. 2010/04/13
    trishanth

thanks for your replies guys, i purchased the pci card and installed, its connecting to internet now.