1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 8 Release Preview, Metro UI, bye bye Aero??

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by CrunchDude, 2012/06/08.

1. 2012/06/08
    CrunchDude

CrunchDude Inactive Thread Starter

How do you guys feel about what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8? Remember, as things stand now, they want to do away with the Aero glass feature as well as the ability to boot straight to the traditional desktop. Then there is the whole debate about the Start button. Microsoft also said that they will "rip out the part of the code" that would enable a Windows 8 user to have a choice between booting into Metro or booting to the desktop. :rolleyes:

Those statements don't exactly make Microsoft very credible when they talk about how much faster boot times are, as the best SSDs in RAID 0 won't beat Windows 7's boot time, if the user has to click their way through an often times unwanted (or downright hated) Metro UI. Metro looks and works great on Windows Phone 7 and presumably also on upcoming Windows 8-enabled tablets, but on a laptop, I'm not so sure.

A few things I do like are the new Task Manager along with other previously less attractive and less intuitive "system" apps. And I like the Aero glass a lot, but then again, I was one of the people who liked Vista. :cool:

2. 2012/06/08
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi CrunchDude. I think what Microsoft is doing is alienating the desktop and laptop users.

I don't like the Metro UI one bit and the fact that they removed the Start Menu, they removed the ability to boot straight to the desktop and they are removing the Aero glass, it makes you wonder what else they are removing.

It seems MS is trying to force us regular computer users to use an OS that is designed for tablets. I don't want any part of that. I think Windows 8 will be good on tablet devices but for desktop and laptop PC's it is not going to do so well. There has been so much backlash from a lot of people on the Internet already about all of the changes so it makes you wonder what Microsoft is thinking.

Some of the under the hood changes are great such as the new Task Manager, improved performance, and the improved security features but if you have to struggle with a new UI that lowers your productivity when you are using it then Windows 8 is simply NOT worth upgrading to.

Unless Microsoft somehow allows users to switch from the Metro UI to the classic desktop interface (which at this point is very unlikely) then I will not buy Windows 8 and I will stick with Windows 7.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/06/09
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Here's what I have said about it: Will Windows 8 Fail The Desktop?

I have started looking at the Release Preview, but I have real work to do, an can't (usually) get more than a few hours a week on an OS that I deeply hate.

Arie,
  5. 2012/07/26
    tigerbright

tigerbright Inactive

user configurable ?

can be user configured to a more familiar desktop interface

Attached Files: