1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 8.1 Update

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by PeteC, 2014/04/09.

1. 2014/04/12
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Well, I didn't even last that long and have re-enabled the new 1.4 Start8 and will keep it enabled.

2. 2014/04/12
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff Thread Starter

No surprise there :)

I had the Start8 update for 8.1 Update installed before installing 8.1 Update :)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/12
    Bill

Yeah, if you need a new system and like W7 and are not into touchscreens, get W8.1 and install Start8. Simple as that.

5. 2014/04/13
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I've Restarted Start8 and like Pete, I had the latest version installed. It's still a way easier to use with a mouse. Bill you challenged me to try it with Start8 disabled and I responded - I'm not out of pocket - yet. Neil.

6. 2014/04/13
    Bill

lol! I hear you! I was just wanting someone to test the waters before I jumped in. Considerate of me, letting others go first, don't you think? ;)

Weren't you using CS?

7. 2014/04/14
    retiredlearner

Yes, I tried CS and your testimonials about preference for Start8 swayed me to spend 5 bucks and the rests history. Neil.

8. 2014/04/14
    Bill

So I'm good for something, huh? ;)

I am glad Microsoft has capitulated and returned the Start button in this latest "Update ", but I think it is too bad they chose not to totally restore the old Start Menu. :( I fear if MS wanted to sway new buyers to upgrade their old systems or buy new systems with W8.1, they missed their mark - again.

Oh well. There are several other features in the new update that make it worthwhile. And W8 is worth getting anyway because it is much faster and more secure than W7 - as long as Start8 still works.

9. 2014/04/14
    retiredlearner

I agree. I'm in the process of deciding whether to update the hardware in the comp I built for my wife, or buy a new laptop for her with W8.1 installed.

I would need to rebuild the comp from PSU/Motherboard/CPU/RAM/Graphics.
    She uses Internet Banking and Email and plays Games principally and there are quite a number of laptops/notebooks which would do what she needs for between $450-$600.

Hardware would be around $550 so I need a few suggestions? Thanks Neil.

10. 2014/04/15
    Bill

Well, this is a no brainer for me. Build her a new computer. With a notebook, you are buying a new keyboard, mouse and [tiny] monitor too - which I am assuming you would not need to buy immediately if you built her a new PC.

Notebooks, in spite of what their marketing weenies would like us to believe, do NOT make good gaming systems. The makers can pack the power but not interior access for proper cleaning. Gaming PC cases are challenged to keep PC interiors cool, even with multiple large (120mm or larger) fans. They cannot pack that cooling power in a notebook so what happens? They heat up and toggle down in speed. Not cool (in all sorts of the meaning)!

Does she travel a lot where she needs her computer to be mobile? If not, then you are paying (a whole lot!) for a battery that WILL surely need replacing in a few years (for a whole lot again).

A nice i3 or i5 would be a good choice with a compatible motherboard that supports i3/i5 graphics. With this setup, you would not need to buy a graphics card and with an ample amount of RAM, she may be perfectly happy with the gaming performance - unless a hard core gamer. But later on down the road, you could always add a new graphics card.

I recently used a Gigabyte Z77X-D3H in a build with an Intel i5-3470. This is a nice CPU because it is quick, is rated at only 77W, and it has Intel's excellent HD 2500 graphics.

You can save $50 - $60 by going with an i3 (which are also excellent CPUs). They consume less power, generate less heat, and also support excellent graphics. These are great choices for notebooks.

But, the i3 is a dual-core CPU so the performance differences between the i3 and i5 would be noticeable.

Also if me - I would go SSD instead of HDs. Big, old, slow and clunky electro-mechanical hard drives are... well, big, old, slow and clunky electro-mechanical devices. Even an i3 with lots of RAM and a SSD will fly! Of course SSDs can bust a budget, but statistically, they last longer, consume less power, generate less heat - but are magnitudes faster. Oh, and W8.1 loves SSDs.

11. 2014/04/15
    SidMoore Lifetime Subscription

SidMoore Onward...Upward

As I understand it, Microsoft may well have put the update deadline in place to sync this issue with the introduction of Windows 9.

12. 2014/04/15

SidMoore Onward...Upward

8.1 Update.

James, it downloaded and installed very quickly (relatively) on my Acer Aspire S3 laptop. I have had zero issues with the result (so far :eek:)

13. 2014/04/15
    Bill

There have been some problems but they are working them out. It seems those who downloaded the update from MS before the official release may have gotten a slightly different version, and that is messing things up.

14. 2014/04/15
    retiredlearner

Thanks for your suggestions Bill. I'll look into a rebuild as I walked the wife through using my Notebook with 8.1 and left her to try it out.
    3 hours later, the Notebook was closed up and she was back on her XP machine!

She doesn't/won't use a cell phone and I think when my number is up, my son will have to be the Fixit man for all mechanical/electronic devices in our home. Neil.

15. 2014/04/15
    Bill

Well, I have to say they will have to pry my PC's full size keyboard, mouse and 2 22" monitors from my dead hands before I go to a handheld or even a notebook for my primary computer. I would say my surround sound speakers too but the rears are mounted on the wall, and the sub is too heavy.

While I use a cell phone, it's for things called "phone calls" in case I slide off the road.

If she is still using XP and you put or get 8.1 on this new computer, I would definitely put Start8 on it too and set it up from the start to look like 7 before handing it over. It will still be learning curve if she never got use to Vista or 7 before - but much easier than 8.

16. 2014/04/16
    retiredlearner

Bill, my wife is great on Academics - Finances - Housekeeping and my life partner, but Technology and mechanical things are totally foreign to her.

A mobile phone is hard for her understand let alone a cell phone. At her work when things went wrong with the computer, the IT man fixed it. I'm the guy who has to do all that these days.

I'll probably do the rebuild as you suggested as the LCD screen in current use on her comp is much bigger than a low-priced laptop would be. Neil.

17. 2014/04/16
    Bill

I hear you.

Not to run this more OT, but speaking of technologies, I saw a funny news article today about the Sony Walkman being 35 years old - and how kids react - or try to react to it. The whole 7 minute video is here.

18. 2014/04/16

SidMoore Onward...Upward

On Point !!!

Dang, Bill, all of what you say is SO on point that it bears repeating (see below). My sentiments, exactly!!

19. 2014/04/27
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I was mistaken. It was a previous update that gave me trouble.

The very large 8.1 update installed without a hitch from what I could tell, although it took me about two hours to get the job done, remotely, including other 3rd party updates.

I hope MS is through with these huge 8.1 updates. :eek:

20. 2014/04/27
    retiredlearner

James, you must be getting them at peak times. Mine were less than that time for 2 comps. Neil.

21. 2014/04/27
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

At first, I couldn't resolve the problem of Windows Update constantly alerting me to two previous updates that were already installed. After installing Belarc, the problem (somehow) fixed itself.

The 8.1 download process was very quick compared to the size of the file, but there were so many other updating issues that had to be taken care of. There was also time lost reconnecting with Team Viewer (too much rebooting). I need to explore TV and see if there is a way to reconnect automatically.

Last edited: 2014/04/27