1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rhamza, 2012/03/29.

1. 2012/04/02
    Rhamza

Rhamza Inactive Thread Starter

Okay, it's been roughly 3 hours with only windows running via clean boot and it has been working without a problem. Should I now follow the steps that are outlined in that help article?

2. 2012/04/02
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

I would do some more testing first. Run a few CPU intensive programs and see if the computer freezes up.

If you are satisfied that the computer is now stable in normal mode, then I would say that you can start re-enabling each startup program and 3rd party service one at a time until you find the culprit thats causing your computer to freeze up.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/04/02
    Rhamza

Okay, do you think that a GPU test like Heaven from unigen or should I run, for example, Battlefield 3? I have them both and I'll give it a try and see if anything happens. if not, I'll see if I can find a CPU bench marking program unless you have a program in mind?

5. 2012/04/02
    Evan Omo

There are many programs that can stress test your system. I would recommend running HeavyLoad 2.0 and Prime95 to ensure your system is stable.

You could also run Battlefield 3 or your GPU Heaven test program and see if everything works as it should.

6. 2012/04/02
    Rhamza

running prime95 right now, 100% over all 4 cores at max clock (of stock). temps are running high60's-low70's. so far it runs great. how long do you suggest I run this test? (I'm using the blend test on prime95)

7. 2012/04/02
    Rhamza

Heaven and Prime 95 check out. no errors and no freezing.

EDIT: However when I terminated the Heavyload program, the program its self stopped responding. my computer is still running after this non-responsive program.

Last edited: 2012/04/02
  8. 2012/04/02
    Evan Omo

Ok good to know. If the computer is still stable after running those stress programs then you can now go back into msconfig and start enabling the startup programs and 3rd party services one by one while rebooting in between.

Its going to take a while depending on how many startup programs you have but you should eventually be able to find the program thats causing the problem.

9. 2012/04/02
    Rhamza

Test one I initiated all intel and Nvidia based processes.

Second I tried all the remaining processes, which easily enough, happened to be 50/50. The second attempt included all virus/firewall/malware protection programs as well as origin and steam plus the gadget sidebar.

I'll run the stress tests on both boots to make sure that they are stable and if they are I'll run the tests with all on. I'll report back tomorrow with my findings.

10. 2012/04/02
    Evan Omo

Cool. Keep me posted. :cool:

11. 2012/04/02
    Rhamza

How can this be? nothing made the computer crash, even while all the processes are turned on.

Heavy load didn't crash upon exit this time either.

I ran all the tests, Prime95, heavy load, and Heaven, all on max and the computer passed all of them.

12. 2012/04/05
    Rhamza

Okay, after a few days of messing around with the services tab in msconfig I've found that if I keep PCtools and Privacyware network services from coming on at start the computer is stable. One of them in a firewall and the other is a spyware/anti-virus combo. When running at the startup as a service it's unstable, but if ran after the startup the computer is fine. I have no idea why but that was the problem. Thank you so much Evan Omo and the rest of the Windowsbbs.com team and members!

13. 2012/04/05
    Evan Omo

Glad you found the culprit that was causing the problem. Thanks for letting us know that you were able to get your problem resolved. :)