1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Windows 7 problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rhamza, 2012/03/29.

1. 2012/03/29
    Rhamza

Rhamza Inactive Thread Starter

Okay, so the specs for my computer are the ones listed on my profile, this is for my personal computer that i built three months ago.

Okay, so I have no idea how to search for the problem I am having because I don't really know what is going on... so I'm sorry if there is another post like this one out there. But to be honest I don't think there is because I've asked this on two different tech websites with no working results.

The problem I am having:

The computer freezes and becomes nonfunctional. when I try and ctrl+alt+del a message comes up, after about 5 minutes, saying "The logon process was unable to display security and logon options when CTRL+ALT+DEL was pressed. If the operating system does not respond, press ESC or restart the computer by using the power switch"

This message occurs only when the computer is not responding and I use the three key task manager shortcut.

The next problem is that when I download a program from any web browser (but on this install I have only tried google's Chrome) it requires a restart before I can install. The system will not tell me to restart, but the only way the it will open/run the installation is if it restarts. If I do not restart the cpu freezes and I have to long press the power button to turn off.

Okay, so that is the basic problem. here is what I have done to try and see what the problem is:

Clearing the BIOS by removing the cmos battery and unplugging the PSU, pressing the power button a few times and then reinstalling the battery and plugging the PSU back in.

Running a HDD test via My computer>right click HDD>Properties>Error checking>restart and running the test. (returned all positive results)

Reinstalling Windows (on custom so that it replaces the old version of windows)

I was suggested to try installing windows onto another harddrive, but I do not have another working harddrive. (I do have my old computers harddrive that is in a state of decay, and was told to remove all the files onto an external harddrive as soon as possible by a tech.)

The reinstallation of windows seems to have made thing worse however, and I'm starting to think that possibly the harddrive is no longer working properly. But nothing I've seen on other forums indicates that it is the harddrives fault. There are no weird sounds or long load times for files that are not programs that need to be installed. Everything else seems to be working...except that I have noticed that since the clean install windows requires a restart after going into hibernate mode when switching between my xbox and PC. My monitor does not detect a device that is active and ends up turning off. Once I restart the computer it will be detected again. I turned hibernate off and it does not have this error.

2. 2012/03/29
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Rhamza, Welcome to Windowsbbs! :)

Your computer definitely has some sort of hardware problem that is giving you the problems that you described above. Have you tried booting the computer into Safe Mode and seeing if you experience the same behavior there?

Have you tried testing your RAM with Windows 7's built in memory diagnostic tool? Are all your device drivers up to date? Is Windows 7 up to date with the latest updates?

Have you monitored your computers temperatures to make sure that they are not causing your system to freeze?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/03/29
    Rhamza

Oh, you know, I forgot to check the RAM...Should have thought about that.

So far as I know, the CPU temp is fine. Anytime I run a program that take a lot of load (more than 50%) I turn my case fans on high. I think I forgot to mention that I am using a corsair T600 case (has 2x200mm[I think] fans plus a 120mm and the PSU is below with its own vent/air supply. the HDD is in front of the inflow and CPU is next to the outflow) I just looked, and while doing internet related searching and listening to music the CPU cores are at 31C-35C. So far, I have not had the issue while play games like BF3 or Skyrim on ultra settings. But then again, I have not looked at the CPU temps while playing games, only the GPU temp, which usually runs around 57C-65C when the case fans are on high and I turn the cards can onto 65%.

When I run in safe mode I have not had the problem, but then again in safe mode I have not tried to recreate the problem, so maybe that could help determine the problem...except that so far the same thing hasn't caused it to crash twice. Sometimes it'll happen as soon as the computer is turned on and sometimes it is as I am closing a webpage or when double clicking on an program to install.

One thing I think I forgot to mention...
    When I transferred my file over to my old breaking HDD it transferred fine, but after I wiped the data and reinstalled windows the computer would not let me into the file systems. However when I installed the old hdd onto my laptop by USB to sata connector it was able to read and move file around. I moved the file I needed into the, I guess, root directory and the desktop was able to remove them and place it onto the desktop and use the file anyway I needed. By root, I mean Computer>Local Disk(C: )

Oh, and thank you, I look forward to using these forums!

5. 2012/03/29
    Evan Omo

I would test the RAM and see if there any issues with it. Bad RAM can cause your computer to freeze up and crash without warning. Your temps are within acceptable levels so your computer isn't overheating.

Did you update all your device drivers? Is Windows 7 SP1 installed?

6. 2012/03/29
    Rhamza

I did a standard RAM test just now it said that there were no errors. I was going to do the extended or what ever it is called, but it stopped at 21% after 3 minutes (on test 1) and after waiting another what seemed like 15 minutes it stayed on 21%. I reset the test with the standard test and it finished in close to 10 minutes.

I was not trying to do the test, I had it scheduled for the next time I restarted my computer...except that I had to force shutdown in the middle of a midterm paper because it froze when I hit ctrl+shift+F to change the font...

[EDIT]My apologies, I forgot to answer your second question again. So far as I know, all the drivers are up to date...but I am not sure I know exactly how to check all the drivers for their current state. Is there any sort of utility that can check for the driver state?

Last edited: 2012/03/29
  7. 2012/03/30
    Evan Omo

Since you have an Asrock motherboard and an Nvidia video card I would go to both the Asrock and Nvidia websites to download the latest drivers for those two hardware components.

To check if you have Windows 7 SP1 installed click Start< Right click Computer and click Properties. The System Properties window will open and it should show if you have Service Pack 1 installed.

Also click Start< All Programs< Windows Update and see if there are any Windows Updates available to install.

8. 2012/03/30
    Rhamza

so that caused my main portion of windows to freeze, but I am still able to do other things...like type of google chrome. Restarting and I'll let you know.

[edit]the task bar and the start menu are blurred out but the other things still work.

9. 2012/03/30
    Evan Omo

Ok. After you install the latest drivers and reboot Windows 7, let me know if there is any change in the computers behavior.

10. 2012/03/30
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

Rhamza ...

FYI, pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc will take you straight to the Task Manager, bypassing the screen produced by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

11. 2012/03/30
    Rhamza

So I do have a bunch of motherboard updates as well as a BIOS update. The website asked for users to exercise caution, so I'll need to read their how-to on downloading the update.

I checked Nvidia's website, and I already downloaded last weeks driver update as soon as I got windows installed.

Last edited: 2012/03/30
  12. 2012/03/31
    Rhamza

I did all the updating I could find and I am still having the issues.

13. 2012/03/31
    Evan Omo

Even though you ran check disk on the harddrive, I would still run diagnostics on the harddrive using the manufacturer's disk diagnostics. Since you have an Hitachi harddrive download and run the tool from here:

Hitachi/IBM.

If the harddrive passes the test then we've ruled out the harddrive, RAM, device drivers, hardware updates, and overheating as causing the problem.

14. 2012/03/31
    Rhamza

http://youtu.be/RQfnA1F16c4 Downloaded the test, at least the one I think that was correct, and tried every single option and it always resulted in the same error. here is a quick video I took of that happened.

15. 2012/04/01
    Evan Omo

The fact that the diagnostic tool doesn't detect the harddrive is not a good sign.

I would open up the computer and reseat all cable connections going to the harddrive and try the harddrive test again.

If that doesn't work then its possible that your harddrive is on its way out and may have to be replaced.

16. 2012/04/01
    Rhamza

Okay, that sounds like a good idea. I'll let you know what happens.

17. 2012/04/01
    Rhamza

Did two tests, a quick and an advanced test. Both came back with a 0X00 reverence code, the drive is fine.

When I plugged the drive into one of the other sata ports I got a message when I turned the computer on, it was installing the HDD. I'm not sure if it did this on the first boot or not...it was 3 months ago...

18. 2012/04/02
    Evan Omo

Did you update to the latest Asrock motherboard BIOS?

19. 2012/04/02
    Rhamza

Yes I did update the BIOS, double checked in case I only did the next newest, and I do have all three of the new updates to this particular motherboard.

There are a number of driver updates that will not install for the motherboard like the intel rapid storage driver or the VGA driver or (if I remember correctly) the USB 3.0 driver. Possibly they are already current. (asrock doesn't state what the base driver version is called...I assume it would be v1.0...but i have no idea.)

20. 2012/04/02
    Rhamza

I've had the computer running in safe mode for about 2 hours and no issues. usually when I leave the computer in normal mode it will freeze. It looks like the problem, so far, only occurs during normal operation.

21. 2012/04/02
    Evan Omo

Rhamza likes this.