1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows 7 Pro XP Mode & 32 or 64 bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by SarahB, 2010/01/30.

1. 2010/02/11
    Zulubase

Zulubase Inactive

Is there any real advantage in upgrading to Win7 Pro, if XP & one's XP friendly equipment is just fine for what one wants it for, bearing in mind there's still about 4years of Xp support & Win8 just around the corner? thanks

2. 2010/02/11
    Bobk

Bobk Well-Known Member

My original post was during fustration of not having most of my old XP & DOS utilites work with Windows 7. Leaving my XP HD unreadable, finding one re-install after another failing and learning that Epson was not furnishing drivers for Windows 7 64bit to get my printer and scanner working.

In the process, I learned (or relearned) lots about NT & newer Windows, I had no problems for many years - hence no need to burrow into internals.

I Got some excellent suggestions on 911CD.NET and used TESTDISK to repair the MBR. I initially misunderstood what it did, thought it merely tested what I already knew was a good, but unreadable XP HD. TESTDISK was the simplist MBR repair tool I've ever seen. Other older HD read/write editors wouldn't work on 7.

All I've read about VM's indicated that they don't handle most USB connected devices, which is much of what I need my old XP for. I have MS's Virtual PC ready to try, but right now - I'm pursuing another path.

Since the MBR was fixed, I have access to the XP drive and can boot it ... BUT -- the XP system doesn't support the USB keyboard & mouse on the new PC. XP comes up, informs me that it found new hardware (not what, but I assume the keyboard & mouse, at least). Then it sits and waits for me to click the 'start broadband' and 'do you want to install' popups! I can't reply!! Catch 22.
    (I've been told that this is not uncommon, old HD with system is not 'tuned' to new PC)

I just got instructions today on what USB drivers (from SP3) & where to place on the XP HD, AND how to use Windows 7 to update the XP registry to use them.

All in all, there's a number of new 'windows' features I'm not familiar with, but I'll try it. What's taking time is researching those new (to me) terms and techniques. I need to Understand what I'm hacking.

The last time I was this deep into mucking with the PC was all pre-NT (i.e. DOS & Windows ME aka DOS with Windows!)

Bob

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/02/12
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Asking the question is answering it!

If you insist: No advantage for you. Every one needs to make their won decision. I left XP years ago.

5. 2010/02/12
    Zulubase

Zulubase Inactive

Didn't think I was insisting on anything, just asking as to what advantage there actually would be in upgrading to Win7 for the likes of me, possibly others, was in no way suggesting it wasn't a good thing for the majority - if that's what you thought! I'm a litie, so pondering aloud!
    What did you leave XP for all those years ago?

6. 2010/02/12
    kimsland

kimsland Inactive

Support ends for Windows XP SP2 on: 13-Jul-2010 (another reason why I consistently tell XP users to update)

Support ends for Windows XP SP3 on: 8 April 2014 (info HERE)

7. 2010/02/12
    ickymay

ickymay Inactive

I think it's just difficult to answer this question for you as it relies on what you need from your computer and your OS , and that question is as broad as it is long ?

I personally updated from windows 98 to XP for stability and compatibility with new peripherals then I went up to Vista for peripherals speed and a better looking OS that coincided with a new hardware build , I have now moved onto windows 7 and after using it for near 18 months now I absolutely love it, having solved any issues and crashes, it's stable and tidy and looks good, compatible with all my software for web design photo and video editing, and system debugging in XP and Vista using windows virtual machine for solving client issues, and many other tasks which I just would not be able to do in XP ;)

8. 2010/02/12
    Zulubase

Zulubase Inactive

Many thanks ickymay, just what I wanted to hear, things in general, that have made to you & a great many others, very satisfied with the advantages that upgrading to Win7 has over XP.
    Althought I'm a litie as far as the science of computer things goes, I'm fairly well experienced in the application of many software programs. I do a lot of scanning & video editing & photo manipulation & from what you say, Win7 is likely to do these sort of things far more easily & better than XP? ...........great help, appreciated

9. 2010/02/12
    ickymay

ickymay Inactive

I did try rawshooter in xp using windows virtual pc and it was a little troublesome running by defualt in 16bit colours i had to use "Disabled IC" mode to make it work in 32 bit colour XP mode which was annoying and i find networking and sharing folders a total pain , so I now use sun Virtual box which works perfectly :)

personally I use fastone image viewer for raw images i find it's very powerful yet simple slick and stable ;)

10. 2010/02/13
    Zulubase

Zulubase Inactive

Your help is much appreciated, will take note of all above...........Thanks