1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved windows 2000 slowed down ??

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by knrd08, 2010/09/12.

1. 2010/09/12
    knrd08

knrd08 Inactive Thread Starter

Hi ya'll . I recently up graded to DSL with ATT phone service . My main computer is a compac perseo with windows XP which works fine and is fast . but when I hooked up my other older computer through the router , which is a windows 2000, which all I can find as a brand is : "Complete Computer Warehouse" label on the front of it . I was on the Nascar site and I had to download Java to see the site and then thats when it started being slow , it worked good for about 3 weeks I dont think it even has a system restore it works but just got real slow . when I click on somthing it takes a few seconds to start doing anything I have had this block come up saying a script may be running or has stopped and gives me a choice of stopping it or continuing , I just an average user of computers I've killed 2 or 3 computers messing with the controll panel and The F-8 feature when you turn it on , so ant advise on getting this back up to speed will be very gratfull . Thanks Kenny

2. 2010/09/15
    Merlin289

Merlin289 Inactive

Hi Kenny,
    Well you could have a few problems but I need more info, was the win2000 PC working OK when you first hooked it up to your ATT router? If so did it slow down After you downloaded the Java update or was it a Java install? I would see if I could un-install the Java files or update to see if that gets the PC to work fast again? May be able to do a reset to the last known good system files. Your Video Card may not be able to handle the new Graphics from that Java setup? Or you might have to download updated or new drivers for some or all of your hardware? Take a look at how old some of the video drivers and other drivers like sound, LAN, and mother board devices like your hard drive controllers, USB, etc. If you can get it back to working good or like it was before you had this problem, then you will know what is causing the problem and can work on a fix for it. May just need new video drivers? Or if it’s a real old video card you may have to get a newer video card with more memory. You can also download one of the great trouble shooting programs that they offer on this site, something to check and fix your registry or a utility that will test your hard ware, that will tell you how much memory is in your PC, Video card and may help you find the bottle neck in your PC.
    Fist step is to see if you can get it working the way it was before.
    If that fixes it, then you will need to find out why it slows down when you install Java, if that’s causing the problem
    Then, if your Video card and RAM memory test OK you may just need to update some or all of your Hardware Drivers.
    If that don't get you going drop me a note in here or update your issue and myself or someone else in here may be able to get you going from that point.
    But at least we will have more info to work with if you try these things and it’s still slow you may have another problem all together that just happened to show it’s self after you installed Java? But I think you'll find that if it works after you uninstall Java and the speed comes back? You will hopefully just need some new video drivers and not a new video card.
    If anyone else has some Ideas for Kenny and his slow running win2000 PC Please jump right in here and give him some help or ideas to try, Thanks.
    Good Luck Kenny, I hope to hear a good note from you next time, or let me know what new information you have after doing the above and we will tackle it from there OK? Thanks, Merlin289..

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/09/19
    knrd08

knrd08 Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks Merlin for the info . and it was a big help. I deleted the java update that I had put in and it seemed to have fixed the slow problem . I'm real green on video drivers and cards and dont want to go there, LOL . But this one is back up to sastifactory speed but I hope to upgrade soon. I have another compac HP that when I went to hook it up through the router I finally had to call ATT tech support . and after about 20 mins of doing this and that trying to get it on line we was in the controll panel and somthing was missing there I cant remember what he said , but thats why it wouldnt come on line , but it would work on dail up??? So the story with the 2 compacs I let a shade tree computer geek work on them and he said I can install windows XP well after a week it just went all to pieces , practully stopped dead in the water, So I took it to a real computer shop and he said it was a bootlegged copy of windows XP and it would do good for a week and then slow and stop . So he wiped out the hard drive and installed a real Windows XP and it's the Main one that has been working great since then even when we had it on dail up. So the other compac must be a bootlegged one too and thats why I cant get on line with DSL with it , So I'll let the real tech look at this one and hope to get it fixed , I've never used one with vista or this new windows 7. Thanks again for the info and helpful advise and if there is any downloads from this site you recommend , please tell me how to find them , Kenny

5. 2010/09/19
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Hi Kenny, Welcome to WindowsBBS :D

Can I ask you in future to use a little white space in your posts, I'm finding them rather difficult to read.

It appears that your issue is now resolved, could you mark it as such.

Thanks.