1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved WIN7 ultimate product key replacement

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Krazykat, 2016/07/06.

1. 2016/07/06
    Krazykat

Krazykat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi, Windows 7 WindowsBBS forum

I am having a problem installing the Service Pack 1, SP1, for my Windows 7 Ultimate system. I need to install the SP1 so that I can go to the next step and upgrade to Windows 10.

My system is a running Windows 7 Ultimate. I had WIN 7 Ultimate install about a year ago when I was having some service/repair work. Have had no problems with the WIN 7 performance all features that I have needed to use have worked. No error messages about not being “Genuine”. To make a long story short, SP1 will not install. I did some checking of the install. I verified my copy of Win 7 Ultimate is Genuine using the Microsoft “Is my copy Genuine”. Turns out the WIN 7 is a Genuine “OEM” version for a different band of laptop.

OK, my bad – the shop sold me a, probably, pirated “OEM” copy or a copy for a different brand of laptop. I accept I was hijacked and now I need to make it right. By the way the shop is no longer in business.

My question. Can I buy a “Genuine, retail, sealed box, install on any computer” copy of WIN7 ultimate and be able to transfer the new “good” product key to my laptop? Then register/activate the new product key and SP1 should install. Or is there can I to do a “repair “ install using the new WIN 7 or some other way so that I can retain all of my installed programs?

Any suggestions or links appreciated.

Thanks

2. 2016/07/06
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Krazykat, At this stage with 22 days to go for a free upgrade to W10, I would make a call to MS for help as we (WindowsBBS) cannot support advice regarding Product keys. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/07
    Krazykat

Krazykat Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Neil,
    Thanks for the quick reply and tip. Will see if I can find the right place at MS to call.

5. 2016/07/07
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member