1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win ME locks up since media player stopped working

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by Ozgt, 2004/06/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/07/10
    Ozgt

Ozgt Inactive Thread Starter

Hi markp62

Tried to do what you said. Wasn’t sure how to reboot in DOS so just switched off then back on again. Was that OK?

This may sound dumb but I don’t know how to uninstall Media Player. It was preinstalled on PC with Win ME when I bought it (new). Since then I have downloaded version 9 from Microsoft site.

Do I leave the disabled startup files as they are for now?

Thanks for helping

Oz

PS modem does work OK

2. 2004/07/10
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

The only way to get Win ME to boot to dos is use a boot floppy, there are clear instructions on how to do this in my previous post.
    That probably did you some good, if you never shut it off at all. But nothing was done about being in dos and deleting.
    I suggest the startup in dos mode to delete your temp files for one reason. It is apparent to me that you have done multiple attempts at installing stuff that you have a bunch of temp files cluttering things up, and this helps create errors. Doing it in dos is the best way to delete all these files, as some may be "in use" and not deletable while in windows.
    You choose to uninstall WMP from Control Panel/Add Remove Programs, if not in the program listing, look under Windows Setup tab.

Those entries should be disabled for now when uninstalling and installing WMP, you want less items running and for another reason. I am assuming you are using the latest version of WMP, the version that does CD burning. Not a good idea to have burning software running in the background and be installing software that does burning also, they get in the way.
    I suggest disabling Realtime for the reason that you do not want something snooping your system's health while system files are being changed around by windows during uninstalling and installing stuff. It gets in the way.

I do think you should follow the step by step instructions in the below link concerning Iphlpapi.Dll. Never mind that you do not have Broadband or AOL, that didn't stop the file from being corrupt. Look at it as a way to replace the file, as that is all it is.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823256

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/07/11
    Ozgt

I followed the instructions as suggested but I now have this problem.

I renamed the IPHLPAPI.DLL file and did a normal re-boot.

Then it says:
    'Click Start, click Run, then type sfc'
    'Click Extract one file from installation disk'
    'Type c:\windows\system\iphlpapi.dll and click Start'
    'On next screen under Restore from, click Browse'
    'Locate Windows cab files on CD, click OK'

Tried this but got a message saying 'Windows cannot find sfc'.

What do I do now?

Oz

5. 2004/07/11
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>system information, then click tools and select system file checker.

6. 2004/07/11
    Ozgt

Hi Dave

SFC not there either. This is what there is on the Tools dropdown menu:

System Restore
    Fault Log
    Nework Diagnostics
    DirectX Diagnostic Tool
    Update Wizard Uninstall
    Signature Verification Tool
    Registry Checker
    Automatic Skip Driver Agent
    Dr Watson
    System Configuration Utility
    ScanDisk
    WMI Control

Oz

7. 2004/07/11
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Try doing a system restore to a date prior to when the problem started.

8. 2004/07/11
    Newt

Newt Inactive

SFC is present in 98 and again in later OS versions. ME does things slightly differently.

Here for specific instructions for extracting/expanding files including how to do the deed in ME.

9. 2004/07/11
    Ozgt

Thanks guys, seems to be some progress. I have not seen an IPHLPAPI.DLL error since doing all of the above. The bad news is that I still have no sound and the same NTKERN.VXD and MMDEVLDR.VXD errors showing for the VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) Properties. Plus I got an Msgsrv32 error again too. This happened when I tried to update the driver.

State of play at moment is:

Roxio uninstalled.
    Temp files cleared.
    Start-up menu enabled.
    There were no System Restore points set before this trouble started so I can't go back (this seems strange to me).

Don't know if its important but some of my file names have changed to capital letters.

Oz

10. 2004/07/14
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Have you tried downloading some new drivers from Realtec and installing them?

11. 2004/07/14
    markp62

About Ntkern.Vxd, does it show "C:\Windows\System\Vmm32.Vxd [Ntkern.Vxd]" and "Not Available" for Provider, Version and Copyright. This is because Ntkern.Vxd is a part of the Vmm32.Vxd file, and will not be found anywhere on the drive.
    Mmdevldr.Vxd is also a windows file. It should be located in C:\Windows\System.
    What I suggest is extracting Mmdevldr.Vxd into the C:\Windows\System folder, and extracting Ntkern.Vxd into the C:\Windows\System\Vmm32 folder.
    extract /y /L c:\windows\system X:\win9x\win_20.cab mmdevldr.vxd
    extract /y /L c:\windows\system\vmm32 X:\win9x\win_20.cab ntkern.vxd

Or you could use winzip to extract the files.
    These files must be in the correct folders to work.

12. 2004/07/18
    Ozgt

Tried driver from Realtek but still get the same message. In System, Device Manager, Properties, the Device status still says:

The NTKERN.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device loader(s) for this device could not load the device driver. (Code 2).

To fix this, click Update Driver to update the device driver.

This is the exact wording.

Yes the MMDEVLDR.VXD file is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

What do I need to do to extract these files? (I am a complete windows dummy).

Oz

13. 2004/07/19
    markp62

About Ntkern.Vxd, does it show "C:\Windows\System\Vmm32.Vxd [Ntkern.Vxd]" and "Not Available" for Provider, Version and Copyright.
    I think you missed my last post, where I said you will not find Ntkern.Vxd at all. It is located in Vmm32.Vxd. This Vmm32.Vxd file is created when windows is installed. It is a compilation of several files, meant to speed up the loading of windows. If something was wrong with Vmm32.Vxd, you would not get into windows.
    You may have found MMDEVLDR.VXD, but this is not your problem.
    I think your sound is onboard, the VIA AC'97 Audio Controller usually is this way. You may need to reinstall your motherboard drivers.
    Don't know what your motherboard is? Get Everest.

14. 2004/07/26
    Ozgt

Any ideas on where to find a driver for my Motherboard - MSI K7TM Pro (MS-6340)? I've drawn a complete blank.

By the way, I have started to get the IPHLPAPI.DLL error message agin at start up (not every time).

I have a brand new Windows XP Upgrade, if I install this would that cure everything? Will it install?

Oz

15. 2004/07/26
    LDTate

LDTate Inactive

16. 2004/07/26
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

High probability that installing XP would solve the problems, provided they aren't hardware related. My advice would be to backup all your data to removable media and format the drive, then do a clean install. You will be prompted for you ME cd and/or product key to prove that it is an upgrade, I think. Worked that way with some previous OS's. May want to wait and see if anyone knows different or can verify. I do think you should try updating the MOBO drivers first, regardless of whether or not you upgrade to XP.

BTW, sorry I haven't been able to offer any other suggestions to your problems in the mean-time. :(

17. 2004/07/26
    markp62

18. 2004/07/27
    Ozgt

Tried the Chipset drivers and Sound driver. No change.

The annoying thing is that it locks up and I still keep getting this message when I press Ctrl, Alt, Del - Msgsrv32 (Not responding). This happens every time I try to update a driver plus again when I reboot straight after, during which time it sticks half way through but then continues (seemingly OK) after Ctrl, Alt, Del, End Task.

Haven't done anything with the BIOS. Don't even know what that means and it looks a bit daunting. Is it risky to upgrade?

Oz

19. 2004/07/27
    LDTate

LDTate Inactive

Ozgt
    Yes it can be if you flash your BIOS with the wrong one.
    I agree with noahdfear post. Might be time to do the Win XP upgrade.

noahdfear

20. 2004/08/04
    Ozgt

Good news and bad

Dave,

Good news - although I couldn't do a System Restore as there were no restore points saved, I've used Smart Restore to re-install the Sound, Video and Game Controllers. I didn't even realise this facility existed, but it has worked! Success!! I now have sound again.

Bad news - when I switched the PC off last night I got the dreaded Msgsrv32 (Not responding) error and when I switched it on today I got the same old IPHLPAPI.DLL error message. Do you know what these mean? Are they serious? Did you find anything strange in the Bootlog and HiJackThis log? I suppose they are not connected with the loss of sound at all then.

Many thanks to all you guys for all the help, it was very much apprciated, and thanks for being patient.

PS my daughter is now very happy too as she can listen to her music whilst doing homework.

Oz

Last edited: 2004/08/04
  21. 2004/08/16
    Ozgt

Result

After getting the sound back (see previous post) I decided to install MS XP upgrade. Now the error messages seem to have disappeared too. Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

Oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.