1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Win 8 support ends next week.

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by MrBill, 2016/01/10.

1. 2016/01/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did MCT (Media Creation Tool) add more confusion Bill?
    I still find it hard to understand why users are complaining about W10 FREE Upgrade when MS provided us with links like this: "Upgrade to Windows 10: FAQ "
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-to-windows-10-faq
    There are many more that I have collected which cover in my opinion a good 99.9% of the answers.
    What has caused major concern is the desire to Upgrade for FREE without due diligence!!!
    I can only repeat-ALL my W10 Upgrades work 100% OK, from the Insider Preview builds to W10 Home and Pro and applying from W8.1 and W7 Pro.
    I used the MCT system and the WU system.
    As I understand Apple OS, don't users have to buy all their Apps? Neil.

2. 2016/01/15
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

[rant on]
    I am convinced it is the life-goal for many to complain - especially about anything having to do with Microsoft and Windows - even when Microsoft and Windows are not at fault.

This is exacerbated by unprofessionals in the IT press seeking glory sensationalizing stories with misleading headlines or downright falsehoods. Falsehoods that are then repeated and repeated again by these unprofessional wannabes who make no effort whatsoever to do any fact checking, either by the one reporting or by those supposedly overseeing their reports.

There are people who should know better claiming Window 10 is spying on us and that W10 tracking policies makes W10 insecure. Hogwash! But sadly, these falsehoods have otherwise intelligent people believing W10 is a threat so they are refusing to upgrade and instead are sticking with old (W7 is pushing 7 years old!), less secure operating systems! :(

Yet these same people are running around with smart phones that can track your location to within a couple meters :eek:, to even knowing what aisle in what store you are standing so they can target you with ads for some product in the shelf you are standing next to!

The cell phone carriers know where you are, where you've been, and where you are heading. They know who you called and who called you and how long you talked. Where are the concerns about that? And they know your Internet surfing habits too. And you don't hear complaints about them automatically updating your phone and all your apps without your permission.

In terms of your physical location, the most Microsoft knows about you is the location of your POP (point of presence). That is the location (central office) where your ISP connects to the Internet backbone. In my case, that is 10 miles away in the next town over!

These irresponsible bloggers and IT press don't know the difference between privacy and security (or they know, but are just interested in discrediting Microsoft).

Microsoft is NOT trying to get your passwords, your bank account information, your email contacts, your SSN. But badguys are. These are all "security" issues, not privacy.

Microsoft is NOT reading your emails either (like Google does!) Okay, Microsoft with W10 does invade our "privacy" somewhat - but that is less than Google and MUCH less than our cell phone carriers. But those are NOT security issues. And while some of that information gathering is used for targeting marketing purposes (they still need revenue), much is also used to identify problems in Windows 10 so they can develop tweaks and fixes and constantly improve it.

W10 is much more secure that all previous versions of Windows right out of the box. It protects our identity, our passwords, our bank accounts and our computers from compromise by badguys who are intent on hurting us, or to use us to hurt others.

I note two in the IT Press who have called out their misguided colleagues. For the true facts about Windows 10 spying and security, see Ed Bott's ZDNet article, No, Microsoft is not spying on you with Windows 10 and his follow-up, Microsoft tries to clear the air on Windows 10 privacy furor. And check out Mark Kaelin's Tech Republic article, Five Windows 10 privacy settings that have been falsely vilified.

[rant /off]

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/15
    retiredlearner

Thanks for the 'Rant' Bill. I always follow the advice to RELAX. I'm retired and at my age I don't give 2 hoots who knows what I'm doing, where I'm going (or been) I'm just trying to enjoy life in retirement and still learn and be able to pass on what I know. :D:D:D Neil.

5. 2016/01/16
    Bill

I too am retired (for the 3rd time! :)) and I don't really care who knows what I am up to either. But I do still care that blame if due, gets put where it is deserved and not where people's biases and prejudices put it - or rather not where those biased people want others to believe it belongs.

I am a firm believer the biggest problems we have in this world is politicians, lawyers, insurance companies, and journalist intent on making news rather than reporting it. So when journalists (including bloggers) create injustice by making up and/or propagating falsehoods by reporting opinions and/or falsehoods as fact, I tend to get riled up.

I will defend anyone's right to express their opinions, I just ask they express it as their opinion and not as fact - especially if in a position to influence others. And of course, the right to express an opinion does not imply any time and any place is the right time or place to express it either.

Yeah, before I forget it. ;) And before... ... umm... ...what were we talking about? :p

6. 2016/01/16
    retiredlearner

In the words of the "Lexophiles" "Those who get too big for their pants will be totally exposed in the end ".
    And weren't you washing the car and noticed the flowers needed watering..........

7. 2016/01/16
    Bill

It's snowing, 17°F and dropping tonight to -4° (-20°C) with an expected high of a balmy 9° tomorrow.

No car washes or flower watering today!

8. 2016/01/17
    hawk22

hawk22 Geek Member

Some good reading here, including some digs, I feel that are directed at folks who don't see in 10 what you guys do.
    I have comfort in Microsofts own figures in expected Windows 10 installs to actual installs.
    I would like to see opinions on whether MS will actually change Windows 10 in 12 month time to a annual Licence OS, I believe (note "believe ") that this will be the case.
    I also believe that by the time Windows 7 becomes obsolete Windows 10 is history.
    I am on holidays in country Victoria 29 degree C yesterday and today and writing those comments on my Laptop running win 7 using my mobile USB internet that win 10 can't or won't be able to do. :D:D

Another annoyance with 10 I believe is: unable to stop or uninstall Updates. Recent MS updates have caused some email programs to crash in 7 and 8.1, I can uninstall and have done so until a fix is issued. Tuff luck with 10.

Last edited: 2016/01/17
  9. 2016/01/17
    Bill

If they don't bother to put some effort into seeing the facts, or if they intentionally turn a blind-eye to the facts for ulterior motives, then they won't see what is really there to see. And that is what I personally find so frustrating. The real facts are out there (and in the correct perspectives), but too many folks are only intent on bashing Microsoft (in this case) or don't care to put just a little effort in doing their own research to verify if what they read is really true, or not.

The "digs" are due when directed at [so called :rolleyes:] "professionals" in the IT press who are intentionally distorting the truth for the purpose of glory seeking with sensationalized headlines and misrepresentations of the facts. Please read those articles by Ed Bott and Mark Kaelin I posted above where they call out their own colleagues at ZDNet and TechRepublic for such rumor mongering.

And digs go to those who blindly believe, then repeat what they do read without verifying the facts. If you look at the articles that are critical of Windows security, for example, you typically see they all go back to just one blogger or reporter who said something wrong - and then it goes "viral" and dozens of other bloggers and reporters clamber to quickly put out their own versions of the same falsehoods while outdoing the sensationalized headlines of the one before them - instead of verifying the facts first. This is exactly the point Ed and Mark illustrated in their articles.

As Ed Bott alluded to, put on your tinfoil hats! And again, focusing on security, there is a HUGE difference in security and privacy. Your "privacy" can be totally violated (which is not the case with W10, I am just illustrating a point) but remain totally "secure ". Yet many very vocal bloggers and folks in the IT press (and anti-malware communities too) want you to believe otherwise. :(:mad::mad::mad:

Huh? Based on what? I have never seen that suggested anywhere. There is no need. Understand the current Windows 10 "upgrade" is only free to "current" Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users. Anyone buying or building a new computer must buy a new "full retail" license of Windows 10. And that license is then good forever on that computer and the user can even transfer that license to a new computer (as long as uninstalled from first).

You want opinions on a concept with no basis in fact. :confused: Sorry, but no. Because it is not going to happen. This was suggested (again, by wannabe journalist) as a possibility a couple years ago but was immediately debunked. Other Microsoft software, like Office, already is (depending on version), but not the OS itself.

Then, sorry, but I don't believe you have been reading the whole intent of Windows 10. W10 will be the last full version release of Windows because from now on, Windows will just evolve with the times - "times" being dictated by advances in hardware technologies, security requirements, and user trends and demands. It will be several years before W7 becomes totally obsolete and during that time, Windows 10 will likely have evolved in many ways, but it will still be going strong. Microsoft may drop the "10" and just call it Windows, but that will be in name only.

Don't get me wrong. There are many things that Microsoft has done that deserves harsh criticism and I've been right there delivering it both in public, and through my MS MVP channels - and clearly some of their marketing gimmicks, PR tactics, and of course, Windows 8 desktop are all doozies. And forcing upgrades on users in the manner they did (while I personally agree with the policy because security trumps all) it was not "marketed properly ".

I note again our cell phones, cell phone apps, computer apps, even my TV and Blu-ray player all get updates shoved down on us - yet where is the criticism for that?

Let's not forget that the default setting for W7 and W8 was for updates to be downloaded and installed automatically. And the vast majority of W7 and W8 users go with the defaults and NEVER EVER have problems. Point being, Windows Update problems are VERY RARE - but in those rare cases where problems do happen for a few (relatively speaking) they get blown way out of proportion by irresponsible bloggers and wannabe journalists.

But you suggesting these updates cannot be stopped is wrong too. In fact, months ago, Microsoft even released a tool and posted instructions to hide or block unwanted updates. But unless you are an advanced Windows and security expert, I don't recommend you use it.

For over a decade, Microsoft was relentlessly bashed on security issues when CLEARLY, it was the badguys perpetrating the offenses and the anti-malware industry that failed to protect us, as they promised Congress and the EU it was their job to do not Microsoft's. Yet who got blamed? Microsoft.

The security problems were also exacerbated by users who failed to keep their systems updated and secured and who blindly became "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, links and attachments.

So Microsoft, tired of getting blamed for something not their fault has correctly put security above all else and that includes ensuring users computers are kept updated. And I applaud them for that.

Finally, let's not forget that NO ONE is forcing us to use Windows. There are plenty of free Linux alternatives and lots of productivity software out there to support anything we need to do.

10. 2016/01/17
    retiredlearner

Thank you once again Bill for answering in an informed manner.
    My expectations with W10 are based on the information released by MS.
    I certainly will be very surprised if W10 "disappears" when support for W7/8.1 ends.
    I have always allowed updates/patches to be applied to my comps on the belief that it was an improvment to the OS supported by the makers.
    This is akin to Motor Vehicles being recalled for improved parts to be installed FOC by the manufacturer.
    I have often expressed my amazement at how comp users think they know better than the designers, then complain bitterly when things go wrong.
    We can all make mistakes at times but I always believe in following the Operators Manual first.
    I can still hear my Dad's advice ringing in my ears - 'If you vary from the Manufacturers specifications, you are in experimentation land and anything could happen'.
    I'm still enjoying W10 which enables me to do the things I can on a computer and learn something new each day. ;):D Neil.

11. 2016/01/18
    Bill

lol This gets me all the time too. So many computer problems are self-inflicted from users tweaking this or that - or worse, thinking modern versions of Windows are the same as older versions so they treat Windows 10 like they did XP. Windows 10 is not XP and what was needed with XP is probably detrimental to W10. Microsoft, with its PhDs, CompSci and expert programmers using super computers, have been fine tuning Windows for over 20 years. And considering every Windows system of the 1.5 billion out there becomes unique within minutes after turned on the very first time as users customize it, configure networking and printing, attaching other devices and installing their favorite apps, etc., I am amazed every time I think about it how well Windows really works, and works flawlessly for the vast majority of users!