1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Win 10 - Wake Up Hassle

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rista, 2016/06/07.

Tags:
  1. 2016/08/04
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Are you still set to dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 8.1? For the clean boot that should not have caused your machine to not boot up anymore. Did you make sure to only uncheck the 3rd party services on the Services tab and not uncheck all of the Microsoft Services in the System Configuration Window?

2. 2016/08/04
    Rista

Rista Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi Evan,

As I restored only the Windows 10 partition, there is no Windows 8 anymore. That is lying though as a backup on an external drive. As I mentioned due to a fateful update the system STARTS of W10 and W8 got mixed up and wake up problem began. Windows 10 now sort of depends on winload.exe from Windows 8 in the MBR which gets initiated by the
    bootrec /buildbcd. Now we need to find out how to wean it of this dependency. Before the trouble there was only Windows 10 screen, but since that fateful update when my system starts it first shows the light blue screen with a dotted circle (from Windows 8 and then it goes on to the Windows 10 start screen with the backlit window. Earlier it would first ask for the option for the OS and then go the windows 10 screen, but now there is dual boot so doesn't ask for the option..

Come to think of it I do remember noticing that Windows 8 was still lurking as a 2nd OS in msconfig. I wondered why since I had deleted it in msconfig and then in the Disc Administrator when I took out Windows 8 before restarting. I simply deleted it again making sure only Windows 10 showed as the default and then closed msconfig boot tab. And that is why it lost the winload.exe and got kicked in the butt!!!
    I hid out all Microsoft Services first and then disabled only 3rd party services which was basically Acronis and Eset SS. If you remember I had done this a couple of more times in the beginning of the thread. But it is not there anymore, I just checked.

Think of it in the meanwhile if you care to.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/08/04
    Evan Omo

Rista likes this.
  5. 2016/08/05
    Rista

Thank you, Evan,

That's exactly what I need to move the Boot Manager to Windows 10 from the System Reserved Partition. I'll do it later this evening after I have backed up the system with the latest changes. I've used EasyBCD before, so I am not so unfamiliar with it.

I'll let you know how it goes.We may after all write it off as "Resolved "!

6. 2016/08/21
    Rista

Hi after some delay and silence,

I finally post to inform you of my inferences. I downloaded and installed the EasyBCD and tried to repair the startup as it was just not working properly and in the background thought also of the original problem (Hassle on Waking up). I thought I had seemingly repaired the START and then I tried and put it to sleep. It still was not working. I had to restart and this time it gave me black screen and a message saying the computer Start was not working etc. and there was an unobtrusive option at the bottom saying to go the OS press ENTER. I did that and managed to start. Went on to start the computer the next day. It wouldn't again and had to start with Recover CD and tried to repair the start with that which kept churning around for an hour or so at "Attempting to repair" and break out of there and on my second attempt to start it was no longer giving a single beep but a continuous one. So I disentangled it from the mains, opened the case and seeing all was tightly connected and tried to check if it would start by attaching to the mains. THIS TIME NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL. Dead as a door nail!

After that checked the CMOS battery and displaced the BIOS jumper allowing it enough time to completely unload its memory. removed the memory sticks one by one etc. and of course trying at each step to see if it connects. Nothing. Finally I disconnected the GPU and connected the green line with one of the black ones and this time the GPU fan came on, but feebly. So with all attached its as good as dead. Now I don "t what the culprit is. The GPU or CPU or the mother board. I called the manufacturer if they could deliver a new one and after a day they said they could and would cost around Euro 220 plus taxes and postage and it would take 3 to 4 weeks to get here.

Next day, I ordered for a new one and got it yesterday. And that's going to be new post..

Regards,

7. 2016/08/21
    Evan Omo

Ok then. Its a shame that this issue turned into a hardware failure of some sort but hopefully after replacing the faulty hardware component, the computer will operate normally and this wake after sleep issue will be resolved.