1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Win 10 desktop screen flashing

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JAK, 2016/12/10.

1. 2016/12/21
    JAK

JAK Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Ok, I signed into the Administrator user. No flashing on this desktop!
    I guess I've never understood "users" very much. So none of his named user pictures, docs, favorites, etc are listed in the Admin user area. Can we move all of his personal named user info over to the Admin user and move on from there? How do we do transfer then?

JAK,
  2. 2016/12/21
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/22
    JAK

Before I do these.... When I transfer the user profile data I won't transfer the issue that's caused the desktop flashing to begin with?

Also, confused that when I click on the "edit, add, or remove other users" I get the settings box but it only has "other people" as a choice to "add someone to this PC"...not the "family and other users" choice per the howtogeek site. When I click on Other People and then on Add someone else to this PC, I get a box that is labeled lusrmgr which shows Users and Groups. Not the box on HTG showing where to start adding the user.

Last edited: 2016/12/22
    JAK,
  5. 2016/12/22
    JAK

I did try to remove the apps before. Couldn't type in Powershell with the named user acct. Did do it in the Administrator user Powershell, running it as Administrator. Typing the
    "Get-AppXProvisionedPackage -online | Remove-AppxProvisionedPackage -online" into the command line. It ran and then I restarted and went into the named user acct and it was still flashing.

JAK,
  6. 2016/12/22
    Evan Omo

You need to run both the Get-AppXPackage | Remove-AppxPackage and the Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers | Remove-AppxPackage commands from powershell as well to remove all the Microsoft apps from the machine.

No, the whole idea is to rule out a corrupt user profile that's causing the issue and if you are just transferring your documents, music, videos, favorites and desktop shortcuts over to the new profile then it shouldn't cause the behavior to repeat itself.

Did you look through the second link that I posted for creating a new user profile?

7. 2016/12/26
    JAK

Back from holiday break. Just ran the two commands in Powershell and flashing continues. So now new user profile work. Thanks again for help.

JAK,
  8. 2016/12/26
    Evan Omo

Ok great. So would you consider this issue resolved?

9. 2016/12/26
    JAK

No. This is where I go to add a new user and run into the lusrmgr box instead of the page where you can add a new user. Like I said, when I search "user" in the start-run I get the settings. In settings on the left is "other people", not "family and other users". When clicking on the Add someone else to this PC under "other people" it doesn't take me to the box How will this person sign in?. It goes to that lusrmgr box showing Users and Groups. Don't see a way in there to add a new user either. ??

JAK,
  10. 2016/12/26
    JAK

JAK,
  11. 2016/12/26
    JAK

Ok, I stumbled on getting to that 'add user' page by running netplwiz from the run box! Let's see how things go....
    Added a new user and deleted the contents of that one and am now copying the contents of the old user acct into the new one.

Everything's up and running, thanks.

Last edited: 2016/12/26
    JAK,
  12. 2016/12/27
    Evan Omo

Thanks for letting me know. :)