1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Will you upgrade your current OS to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Arie, 2012/07/26.

?

Will you upgrade your current OS to Windows 8?

Poll closed 2012/09/30.
  1. Yes

10.2%
  2. No

69.3%
  3. Maybe

20.5%
  1. 2012/12/04
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

He didn't mention it but given his influence in the company, I have no doubt he has given new machines (executive toys). His CIO might be in trouble if they deploy Surface as an IT strategy, even for a pilot run.

2. 2012/12/04
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

Yes, Mac's OS is unix based. On my MBP, I still maintain virtualized OSs to get my data back, whenever needed, from programs and their versions only run on Windows 98 (2 languages, with some millennium issues if I don't date back), Windows XP (4 languages) and Windows 7, next to OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. It's so easy to load them back (in minutes) from archive. It's the only way to keep 100% compatibility.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/12/04
    Core7

Core7 Inactive

I am getting a real kick out of this thread, many people load windows 8 then ask how do I make it look and work like windows 7? My question is why waste your time and money?

Most of the features that Metro desktop offers can be added in windows 7 by just adding a short cut icon on your main screen or taskbar. Working throught Metro just to get to a desktop $uck$. True touch screen is a little smoother in Windows 8 vs 7 but unless your using strickly a tablet without keyboard it's of little difference.

Loading 3rd party software just to make something work like it used to is crazy, you run the risk of an embeded virus, keylogger or malware. Again, I would love to know what is so great in Windows 8 that Windows 7 cannot be configured to do?

5. 2012/12/04
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

When you buy a new PC, you can't choose it to have Windows 7 pre-installed in most cases. So, it's natural that consumers ask to get the Start menu back.

jorjab likes this.
  6. 2012/12/12
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

I already have Windows 8 Pro on my main computer,Windows 7 Premium on a Second desktop, and Vista on a Laptop. -I may consider upgrading the Laptop to Either Windows 7 or Windows 8 if it grows on me - its not been plain sailing so far though, -I`ve had to re-install Windows 8 Pro (losing all my installed applications and encountering awful problems even trying to save my data to a USB HDD.)
    As far as Desktop applications are concerned, Windows 8 performs well and the only hinderance is the lack of a start key (I now use "Classic Start menu 3.6.2).
    But the Metro Apps are well.. Pants..
    I`ve already stated the problems that caused me to re-install Windows 8 (Metro Apps crashing and refusing to open) but even when you do get them to work they really are not anywhere near as usable as "normal" desktop applications - in fact some `apps` are little more than shortcuts to opening desktop apps.
    Much of this is down to the Apps developers and poor programming, perhaps with time better ones than the current crop will appear, but until then I`m sitting on the Fence.

7. 2012/12/12
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

Hi Nick,

Most laptops has their own drivers e.g. function keys and software and many of them are not bothered by the upgrade compatibility tests. Also, 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 7/8? Go back to the laptop's manufacturer website to see if they have support. What about hardware architecture? Yes, old laptop can run new OS but... say, still on Intel Centrino? You'll find Windows 8 runs like Windows 98. If you have an idle Windows 7 Home Premium license, well. Time costs, considered? I have an HP Pivilion dv6 certified on Windows Vista 32-bit pre-installed and later upgraded to Windows 7 32-bit for $15 but performance reduced to half! I re-installed a Windows Home Premium 63-bit. The sound control drivers for the laptop panel just not working, USB driver not compatible, Video output disabled, ATI Radeon video driver not provided with any update, touch pad luckily found from another HP model with the same component, WiFi adapter sits on Wireless g (cos n not working), power management can't use High Performance or Power Saver but still run only 40 minutes to die, SD card reader incompatible...battery replacement needed anyway, to name just a few of the problems. Who said Windows 7 has more drivers than Windows Vista? lol

8. 2012/12/13
    Athon

Athon Inactive

Only just (had to as new laptop) upgrade to 7. I am extremely irritated that it seems as soon as one system is developed and placed on the market it is quickly declared as good as obselete. As a pensioner on a low income I can't afford to buy it to try it so I will stay with 7 'til forced to 'upgrade'.

9. 2012/12/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Plenty of time left :) MS will end support Jan 14th 2020, but the OS wil not stop working of course although security will be an issue after that date!

Windows lifecycle fact sheet

10. 2012/12/13
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

Interesting points Ivan.
    I have already consulted the HP website and researched the manufacturers advice on upgrading and according to their table my CQ-60 presario is compatible . - They recommend either an Upgrade or Custom installation - the upgrade preserves your data and programs. I think if I DO decide to change then I will probably Opt for Windows 7 and Either install it on a separate partition or Recover /restore vista on to a backup first.
    HP offer (or used to offer) an upgrade assistant `kit` for installing/preserving the correct drivers when upgrading so if I can source one then I will consider upgrading. I find Vista to be slow and heavy on resources so really ANYTHING would be an improvement. I have also considered a LINUX install as I ran Ubuntu on it (using wubi) without problems.

11. 2012/12/13
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

Hi Nick,

When my HP dv6 upgraded to Windows 7, it was still under warranty (or extended warranty), and the new Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit is new purchased thus also under support. HP came to collect it twice and replaced some parts (e.g. the WiFi adaptor) quietly. The dv6 became more "compatible" with lesser "constraints" after a year when it eventually went through the SP2 upgrade again. So, if your CQ-60 Presario is on the HP compatibility table, you may have the direct Windows 7 SP2 installation and further patches. And I believe you're installing pure English language / locale for it, so other languages compatibility may not be your issue.
    My HP dv6 has the keyboard cursor keys broken, touch pad buttons off and passed around the family dining table twice before it is replaced by an Apple Macbook Air a few days ago. I once suggested to move the Windows 7 Home Premium OEM edition from the dv6 to MBA as a virtualized Windows OS there, the idea was rejected. It still has a rather new battery (2 years old and can last for 40 minutes serving as an UPS) and a blue-tooth external keyboard and an upgraded 750GB hard drive inside. But I find it no where to go besides sitting in the garage. Thus, I'm very interested in what your CQ-60 Presario can do.

12. 2012/12/13
    Nick Wright

Nick Wright Inactive

I`ll keep you posted, - its a nice machine and has hardly seen any use although it does need to be serviced - its running a little hot and has shut itself down a couple of times due to the high temperature. The heatsink and fan probably need a good cleaning as its an old house I live in and has a dusty atmosphere - the fan is probably clogged up. Its only got a 250GB drive in it too so I will look at that too. I`ll probably do it in the new year.
    Will post here when I do.

13. 2012/12/13
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

I see. Heat is always a Windows power-management problem. Windows 7 is already doing a much better job than Vista. So, I always say there are Vista I, Vista II (i.e. Windows VII) and Vista III (i.e. Windows VIII).

While my Macbook Pro can run 8 hours on battery under OS X alone, the virtualized Windows 7/8 on Fusion 4/5 shorten the life to 2 hours for doing nothing. It's disappointed that Windows 8 has not gained any reputation in the power management when running on older machines that I tested. e.g. the HP dv6. Bye for now.