1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Will you upgrade your current OS to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Arie, 2012/07/26.

?

Will you upgrade your current OS to Windows 8?

Poll closed 2012/09/30.
  1. Yes

10.2%
  2. No

69.3%
  3. Maybe

20.5%
  1. 2012/11/16
    Buck380 Lifetime Subscription

Buck380 Well-Known Member

No To Metro!!!!

I don't like Metro. Why didn't they offer an option when installing, Win 7 like interface or Metro? Of course we know why. MS can sell more Surface Tablets this way. When better options are available then maybe. Until then I'll stick with Win 7.

2. 2012/11/17
    Lonestar166 Contributing Member

Lonestar166 Well-Known Member

I installed Windows 8 the day it was released. Every time there has been a new OS release, I install it so I can formulate my own opinion rather than listening to others. The knowledge I gain is shared with many friends and co-workers. I have had zero regrets installing Windows 8.

kkaylynne likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/11/20
    ianamal

ianamal Well-Known Member

jorjab likes this.
  5. 2012/11/20
    Lonestar166 Contributing Member

Lonestar166 Well-Known Member

6. 2012/11/20
    ianamal

ianamal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, i was just about to buy an upgrade for my second machine running W7 and now I have third thoughts! LOL.

7. 2012/11/20
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

I offered my daughter that I would be okay to pay for the Windows 8 Pro and the Fusion 5 as a replacement of Windows 7 and Fusion 4 on her Macbook Air. She rejected my kind offer without a second of thought. On the same day, she even requested me to take away the Windows 7 completely on her Mac. Her reason was to save 50GB space. She has even dropped Microsoft Word 2011 for Mac and replaced it with Scrivener!

I offered her a birthday gift. I said, "iPad?" She replied, "No." Surface? Definitely no!

I talked to my young daughter, "What do you want to upgrade your desktop in Christmas?" "I want a Macbook Air." She's using Windows 7 Pro now and for the next 30 days. Goodbye Windows 7+n.

8. 2012/11/21
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

Yes, you mentioned one of the reasons why Vista got to be failed. If you are absolutely correct, then Windows 8 may just be another Vista. In an article "Windows 8 killed my PC ", it said, "Others are reporting that key drivers are not compatible between Windows 7 and Windows 8 -- meaning that parts of their computer simply aren't working, like the audio or the wireless card. " - see http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/11/20/windows-8-killed-my-pc/?section=money_technology

Arie, thanks for confirming my 3-year-old comment on 22 Oct 2009 as seen in http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-7/88034-windows-7-vista-ii.html. In that I said "After using Windows 7 for a few days, I have a very strong impression of my Windows 7 experience that I am using a more stable, faster but cosmetically ugly Vista, so I'd call it Vista II." Now, I would say, "Windows 8's Metro (or whatever), is an even UGLIER Vista! So, Windows 8 is VISTA III, or isn't it?

Nevertheless:
    Vista II = VII = 7; and,
    Vista III = VIII = 8 ..... speechless!

9. 2012/11/21
    cold iron

cold iron Well-Known Member

If Microsoft built cars, they would change things just for the sake of change. Each new model would would have the steering wheel in a new place. Win8 has the steering wheel in the back seat facing rear and the driver is looking in a huge mirror.

babatunde likes this.
  10. 2012/11/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Contrary to my original comment in this thread that I would not use Windows 8 I purchased an HP laptop with i3 last week while in the States (amazingly low price compared with UK) with 8 preinstalled.

With one simple software addition - Start8 - it is now boots directly to the desktop complete with Start button/menu just like Win 7 and the Metro screen is now not omnipresent :) The laptop can now be used just like Win 7 - well pleased!

No software compatability issues to date, but will need to use Virtual Box to load XP for a couple of progs I use which would only run in XP Mode on 7.

11. 2012/11/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

It's an old chestnut, but worth repeating :) ....

jorjab likes this.
  12. 2012/11/22
    kkaylynne

kkaylynne Inactive

I did upgrade to Windows 8 Pro

Prior to the Upgrade from Windows 7 64 bit, I ran the Upgrade Wizard and found no issues. In addition I backed up everything on an external hard drive.

The Toshiba laptop was fast before and it runs even better now. I am using a mouse with Windows 8 Pro. As soon as a good, reasonably priced touchpad that can mimic a touch screen is available I will add that to my system.

On my Kindle Fire I put two Windows 8 books and read them both prior to the upgrade.

It took a few days to get used to the new styles and every day it get easier and more instinctive.

Many sites are not ready for Internet Explorer 10, so I use Safari or Chrome as an alternative.

13. 2012/11/26
    adelejukerberg

adelejukerberg Inactive

I tried Windows 8 and was not happy with the results. I also faced problems due to its interface and lacking usual Start button.

14. 2012/11/26
    BillB Lifetime Subscription

BillB Well-Known Member

I had my first run in with Win8 yesterday. My cousin bought a new laptop that has it installed and was completely lost. I have to admit upon seeing it for the first time I was also lost. IMHO, MS made a big mistake changing the user interface from the format available in Win7 and previous versions. It appears geared more to touch screen devices rather than normal laptop and desktop PC's that use keyboard and mouse.

I received a call from a neighbor last night who also bought a new laptop with Win8. Their first question to me was " how do I get it to look like my old Win7 machine when it boots up ". I had to reply that I had no idea as I had my first contact with it earlier in the day.

I will not be upgrading any of my machines to it any time soon, unless MS brings the old interface back or provides a way to change to it and make it the default on startup. Not at all impressed with this 'new' version.

15. 2012/11/26
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

jorjab likes this.
  16. 2012/11/26
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

Last edited: 2012/11/26
  17. 2012/11/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Bill

As I posted above #69 Start8 does exactly what you want - and I wanted. Works like a dream and boots to Desktop not Metro

Trial available - to buy $4.99

jorjab likes this.
  18. 2012/12/03
    Researcher75 Lifetime Subscription

Researcher75 Well-Known Member

Windows8 as far as I am concerned is real "Go-Getter" - I have it on 1 desktop and 1 laptop - both installations were trouble free, unlike some previous instals of MS OSs that were! together with MS Office 2010, MS Security Essentials, and System mechanic - both are running as sweet as a nut, updated as are used, and when required without you knowing. I "Put them to sleep" at the end of each session and start-up is almost instant, using a 2TB disk helps the upgrade the OS swap file, whilst a full memory capacity is fitted.
    All the talk about the start screen is really not a problem and is only personal attitudes?

Researcher75

19. 2012/12/03
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

A friend got 2 tablets from his company's IT department: one Surface and one Surface Pro. This is what he told me: "The Surface is running Windows 8 RT and the battery dies in 4 hours; The Surface Pro is running Windows 8 (Pro?) and the battery dies in 2 hours!" He returned both of them and asked for an Macbook Air running virtualized Windows 7 and an iPad 4.

Does anyone has hands-on experience about the battery life? It's horrible to me, if Surface Pro can only last 2 hours from fully-charged to death.

20. 2012/12/04
    Researcher75 Lifetime Subscription

Researcher75 Well-Known Member

Widows8 or NOT???

Can't think why anyone would need or want to "Downgrade" from W8 to W7?

Not having had any experience of 'Surface' I can't give an opinion except that your friend did the right thing IvanH by returning them. Were they used or new??........ :cool:

21. 2012/12/04
    harryandliz1

harryandliz1 Inactive

no way.
    I have been bitten by Microsoft with almost every operating system since windows 2 (I still have a copy around somewhere). Will wait and keep XP as long as possible. If I wanted something like 8 I would go to anything with a Unix based engine (at least that is well thought out and stable) and I can hang whatever front end on it I like.