1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Will you upgrade your current OS to Windows 8?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Arie, 2012/07/26.

?

Will you upgrade your current OS to Windows 8?

Poll closed 2012/09/30.
  1. Yes

10.2%
  2. No

69.3%
  3. Maybe

20.5%
  1. 2012/07/26

911 Inactive

I will probably upgrade when W8 has been out long enough to have found and fixed the infancy bugs, but even then, only after all Wxp support has ended.

2. 2012/07/27
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

No Way, I will NOT be upgrading to Windows 8. Windows 7 has been running perfectly on my system and I don't need my desktop computer turned into a touch screen because of the Metro Interface. Windows 7 has been a great OS and I don't see any major benefit that Windows 8 offers that would give me any incentive to upgrade.

Windows 8 can hurt your productivity when trying to navigate the Metro UI and it feels like two disjointed OS's put together by Microsoft. I think it will be ok on tablet computers but on regular workstations/desktop PC's, it will be a disaster.

As others have said, unless Microsoft somehow adds some hidden registry settings to completely disable the Metro UI and gives us the option to boot directly to the Windows desktop, then I am not buying Windows 8 and I will tell all my clients to not upgrade to Windows 8 either. I think Windows 8 will flop just like Windows Vista did.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/07/27
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

You can still wait 3 years (like you did with Windows 7). But AFAIK the $40 upgrade offer will "only" run through January 31st, 2013.

5. 2012/07/27
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff Thread Starter

Of course not! Old cr@ppy software never returns. OE has always been very buggy.

Lis likes this.
  6. 2012/07/27
    tigerbright

tigerbright Inactive

metro (flick "n'click ") is extraneous as a workstation interface - and i can understand the inherent resentment

7. 2012/07/27
    Athena28

Athena28 Inactive

I like Win 7 & am not interested in any type of touch screen OS. Don't see a need to change.

8. 2012/07/29
    Tony King

Tony King Well-Known Member

Like other correspondents I see no reason to have to learn a new set of functions/actions/user interfaces/etc. as I am quite happy with XP.

The same applies to various other programs which have (supposedly) been 'enhanced' - e.g., I have a video editor that I feel I know backwards, and two upgrades I have been persuaded to try have not inspired me at all!

9. 2012/07/29
    Core7

Core7 Inactive

It should be do I want an Ipad or PC!

If I want an Ipad based looking PC, the answer is Yes,

If I want a usable, configurable system that requires the user have a brain, the answer is No!

(In my case absolutely, No)

If Microsoft really wants to do something great why not re-engineer XP and re-introduce it as an additional product line. There are so many reasons that XP still blows away 7 and 8 (an example is the windows explorer). XP was powerful and configurable that assumed the user had more intelligence than that of a grape. I would be willing to bet it would out sell Windows 8 at least 2 to 1!

Last edited: 2012/07/29
    jorjab likes this.
  10. 2012/07/29
    rdgrady

rdgrady Well-Known Member

Just built a new PC with W7 64 bit. It works great and see no reason to switch to something that is basically made for touch screens. If they want to build for touch screens, do so; however, leave the rest of us alone with an operating system that works (W7 so far and that was having used XP for over 12 years).

11. 2012/07/30
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

12. 2012/07/30
    rdgrady

rdgrady Well-Known Member

Sorry. just knew it was 2012 and I got that PC around 2000. Guess it has been about 10+ years, OK?

13. 2012/07/31
    jorjab Lifetime Subscription

jorjab Well-Known Member

Said No. Just got new one with Win 7 and not happy with that. Have also read not good for desktops. Would have to wait and see how it is reviewed. Can get the upgrade at low cost until January 2013 so no rush.

14. 2012/07/31
    mwatson

mwatson Inactive

No, not even if I got it for free!

I spent many hours with the Windows 8 preview and really tried to like it. Unfortunately I could not. To me it's a dumbed down version of 7 with the metro front end for tablet and touch screen users. Both I could care less about.

15. 2012/08/02
    SaintSatinStain

SaintSatinStain Inactive

I actually clicked without thinking

so I elaborate. I will put together a new computer for Windows 8 and install a retail copy; I will not upgrade the XP Pro I use now. I wrote a letter to Microsoft expressed my hope that they'd continue security upgrades to XP, even I'd pay a subscription. Vista belongs in the kennel with Windows Me. Windows 7 is okay, I bought a copy, never installed it. I'm giving it to a relative.

I like Windows 8, it fits with the way I'll compute my remaining years. I will have a more mobile life, live with my mobile phone more as main computer. My new desktop will mainly act as a server which I will control with mobile phone. I have two synchronized processes on both phone and desktop. I stream music from my desktop now.

No, I dont see the need to upload my music to Google or some other clouded solution then stream to my mobile. I stream from me to me, but also have some music install locally on phone. I work with documents on my computer while on the road. I'm a cyclist.

My mobile phone, an Android, serves as a desktop in my pocket. I plan to upgrade to a new Android soon; although with the tech on my present one does all I need. The next one better though, especially because it has a big screen, and a FM radio not a streamer.

So my local computer, mobile phone, and home desktop (server) will be similar, both touchscreen.

I recently contracted for a service while on the road. I scanned the traditionally signed contract and printed it with scanner app on phone, then both of us, I and contracting partner, signed with digital IDs. Then I sent copies of contract to his mobile phone, copies into Dropbox and my security suite's synchronization. Then I used a remote control app to move it out of synchronization and file it on my desktop computer.

I can arm and disarm my home's security system and much more. So when home at the desktop I want the experience to continue of touchscreen.

Think, most of my future computing will be done on phone with a home computer with a terabyte hard drive or larger in a server role. That's why I am skipping Windows 7 for 8.

16. 2012/08/04
    Andy1

Andy1 Inactive

Hi I've been using Win 8 since the first release and I think it's fantastic. I also predict Win 8 is going to put the anti-malware business out of business. I have set-up several hard drives with Win 8 and have taken the to unmentionable sites to see if I would get an infection and Wow, nothing, Andy1.

17. 2012/08/11
    ianamal

ianamal Well-Known Member

I think W7 is going to be around and supported until 2020, so no real need to decide now apart from the possible cost increase in delaying.
    Like laptops with a detachable screen, if someone manufactured a touch screen monitor that you could sit on your lap on the couch and it was say Wi-Fi or linked through router to your PC.
    When at your desk sat back on the computer desk laid flat, had a couple of usb or usap and a couple of card slots built in.
    Maybe I would consider it, it's nice to sit with my feet up whilst mooching around on the net.
    I like my main PC it's faster has more of my programs and data on, if I could use it laid back on the couch I would.

18. 2012/08/14
    IvanH

IvanH Well-Known Member

My Windows based computers at home won't upgrade to Windows 8. But I'll upgrade my virtual machine on Mac from Windows 7 to Windows 8. The multi-touch magic touch pad works fine with Metro. (Though I really don't like Metro.)

19. 2012/08/28
    buzzmag

buzzmag Well-Known Member

No. W7 does all that I need.

20. 2012/08/28
    Hearsepilot

Hearsepilot Inactive

Not a chance unless Metro is killed or i can opt out of it!

21. 2012/08/29
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member

Not really, what i've seen (and not seen) looks kinda razzle-dazzle. Will reserve
    options for a future date. Like, after the dust settles. Not crazy about any cloud, but will look again in a few months or maybe Win-SP1....

savagcl

It's easier to move a mouse than touch a screen!