1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

why wont mcafee go away

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by gghartman, 2005/12/29.

1. 2005/12/29
    gghartman

gghartman Inactive Thread Starter

does anyone have any idea how to get rid of mcafee from a machine. this is the most unbelievable piece of junk ive ever seen.

have done the normal uninstall function have even clean the registry of every mcafee key and yet when i look at the security center it still reflect mcafee as protecting both antivirus and firewall.

have deleted all folders pertaining to mcafee, all common, everything from the admin, all users, current owners settings and yet it wont go away.

im sorry but **** this is unreal. they really dont want to let go do they.

2. 2005/12/29
    Geri Lifetime Subscription

Geri Inactive Alumni

Geri,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/12/30
    gghartman

never seen a software so persistant as to not wanting to go away. no wonder mcafee is rated so low in the top ten protections. i hate the program. i went with the free avg on this machine. make no sense that the security center still reflects mcafee when there is no trace of mcafee anywhere.

5. 2005/12/30
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

gghartman

Is it possible that you made the same mistake that I did awhile back and installed/reinstalled the software more than once ?

Don't ask me why I did that because I cannot give an honest answer.

I did not care for the program so I uninstalled it. Deleted the files from the HD ( D: drive ) and also cleaned the registry just to have the program reload after the next shutdown/restart. I went looking and found that it was on the E: drive also.

BillyBob

6. 2005/12/30
    gghartman

nope this is a new dell machine with no other partition except the primary one. has no recover partition. the uninstall itself is fairly easy and it shows the spam, virus, firewall, etc being uninstalled the only problem is is that xp security center still reflects mcafee protecting the system. all folders removed, all registry entries removed, common folders, all users, current owner folders reflecting mcafee gone. makes no **** sense. nothing reflects in the toolbar or in the process's function just in the security center.

7. 2005/12/30
    Mudd

Mudd Inactive

I too have a Dell PC that came with the McAfee. Used the Add/Remove. To rid of all the McAfee tidbits I ran CC Cleaner and the Latest (Free) edition of Jv16 Power Tools. Finally, that cleaned all. Can't find a trace of it.

Mudd,
  8. 2005/12/30
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hey gghartman, commiserations, McAfee is one of the few programs I actually loathe - uninstall it wherever I find it. Never had the problem you're having though.

Hi Mudd,

To rid of all the McAfee tidbits I ran CC Cleaner and the Latest (Free) edition of Jv16 Power Tools.
    Do you mean the "last" free version? As far as I know, the last free version is 1.3.0.195 and that dates from early 2003, jvPT went shareware right after that version. Is there anything later?

Regards - Charles

9. 2005/12/30
    Mudd

Mudd Inactive

That's exactly what I meant. Poor choice of wording. Could be senility, or many other causes. Thanks for correcting me.

Mudd,
  10. 2005/12/30
    gghartman

thanks gentlemen never heard of those 2 programs but will definitely give them a try. do you incorporate them on clients machines like spybot, ad-aware and spywareblaster ???

I have never liked mcafee going all the way back to day one when they first came on the market. was the hardest update function id ever seen and from that point on never cared for them. used to like norton but like someone said theyve gotten to bloated. i currently use zonealarm internet security the new one with the antivirus. seems okay went to them just because i have used their firewall for a long time and i like the way it works. i am a reseller for bitdefender and that is also a great program.

thanks again.

11. 2005/12/30
    Mudd

Mudd Inactive

I think you would be right about the programs to use them just like AdAware & SpyBot. However, hopefully Charles or someone else will advise you to verify that.

12. 2005/12/31
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

13. 2005/12/31
    Rockster2U

Rockster2U Geek Member

Install and run This. Remove all references to McAfee.

;)

Charlesvar - Same church, same pew ......... just trying to make it easier

14. 2005/12/31
    charlesvar

15. 2005/12/31
    gghartman

i downloaded the jv16 power tools it downloaded in zip format. when i executed it it says the file is corrupted. nothing wrong with my dsl download so their site has a damaged file there.

16. 2005/12/31
    gghartman

rockster

something wrong with the regclean i run the program and the hour glass sit for a bit then nothing comes up. does setup a process but no gui comes up for me to look at.

Tony - that link seems to be unaccessible. literally it nevers gets to anything. unless that database is on the moon it shouldnt take this long for their home page to come up.

17. 2005/12/31
    gghartman

charles

cclean seems like a really good little program. question though the things it finds are the safe to just remove them all ??? all the .logs files in the system32, dumps, etc. will my system be effected by removing these ???

not worried about the cookies, temps, etc but it did find things i didnt even know i could remove.

18. 2005/12/31
    Mudd

Mudd Inactive

If you are having trouble with the RegClean you downloaded, rid it and try this page to get it again http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/. Maybe it was corrupt download.

I've ran CC Cleaner for more than a year and never had a problem. Their Forum gives some good answers. Forgot the address but a search for CCCleaner Forum will probably get you there.

19. 2006/01/01
    charlesvar

Hi gghartman,

I don't use CCCleaner, it does have a good rep.

My rule about using reg cleaners or any software that modifies/removes files is first to make sure you can restore the changes, and second, if a lot, then do a little at a time, so if there is a problem, you have a chance to isolate the problem.

jvPT (did you get the setup.exe?) has a default backup, and I assume CCCleaner has that feature as well.

I use a combo of System Restore, data file backups, and drive imaging. Backing up for me is fast because I have multiple drives.

Things like log/dump files are safe to delete, I've done it often enough.

Regards - Charles

20. 2006/01/01
    gghartman

charlesvar

yes, i did get the file and i appreciate it. i also agree with using these reg cleaners they more than not cause more problems by removing certain keys and or links. glad to know about the dumps and log files will clean them up as well as cookies, temps, history. not concerned about removing them i do it manually all the time to keep system somewhat clean. just worried about registry entries being removed unless i am manually doing a clean sweep of an application that wont uninstall.

thanks again.

21. 2006/01/08
    gghartman

okay folks this just doesnt make sense. have used the jv16 program to see if mcafee is still on these systems and it is not so why is the security center still reflecting its being protected by mcafee ?????????????????

man this mcafee is a piece of s--t. sorry this is really ticking me off. have searched dell and microsoft and nothing comes up but every new dell i am receiving and uninstalling properly and even manually cleaning the registry still reflects mcafee. where the heck is this coming from.