1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Which Java version???

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by psaulm119, 2018/05/11.

1. 2018/05/11
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Intermidiot
    I run a special portable app browser (Pale Moon, which still supports Java) on my desktop, usually only for accessing an online bank account, which uses Java to run a "scan and deposit your check online" service, which is nice--we don't have to endorse and put a check in our mailbox that faces the street.

After installing the latest update to Java SE 8 (171 I think it was), they announced an end of life for support for Java 8. I then saw a link to another page, that talked about other versions with higher numbers). Java SE | Oracle Technology Network | Oracle

According to that page, the highest version is actually 10.0.1. I was surprised that I hadn't been prompted to update it to higher version numbers.

Regardless, let's not worry about security across the interwebs. This particular browser is only for accessing one single site.

Is there a reason why I shouldn't update to Java 10? Are 9/10 only for enterprise?