1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Where has Trusted Installer come from?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by arthur277, 2014/02/14.

1. 2014/04/07
    arthur277

arthur277 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

PeteC, Thanks for the tip. I have looked at the log file, not all 1.54MB of it, and it contains a lot of jargon I do not understand and am reluctant to post. It does however refer to a lot of CBS_E_MANIFEST_INVALID ITEM file entries and lots of 0x800f080d error codes that I believe are associated with failure to incorporate updates. These entries all have today's date, and recent time of scan just completed.

I have checked Windows Update and Update History, and apart from BING, IE 11 and Silverlight optional updates (not installed), there are no others that need installing. All other updates seem to have been installed correctly, including Security essentials def. 1.169.1937.0 done just today(7 April). I am not sure whether my system is corrupted, or what to do next. Your advice would be gratefully accepted.

2. 2014/04/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Join the club :) I found similar entries in a CBS log from my desktop and was unable to make head or tail of it. I did however determine that not everything in those logs are necessarily true, so I ignored it as everything seemed to be running OK.

Program Data is a hidden folder - in Windows Explorer - Tools > Folder Options > View and enable show hidden files and folders.

You may also be interested in .....

Internet Explorer No Add-ons Shortcut - Create

How to recover the programs disappeared from the All Programs of the Start Menu? - EeeKB

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/04/07
    arthur277

Thanks a lot for your help, Evan Omo, I have restored the shortcut to Accessories, System Tools.

5. 2014/04/07
    arthur277

Well Pete, If staff are bamboozled, think how us normal mortals feel.

Okay, just one last question. This file, after running Disk Cleanup, is now 19.55MB. If it contains just log information, do you think it can be safely deleted? Not that I need the space, but it does seem to be rather pointless keeping it. The file also contains reports of failure to upload the log file to Microsoft. I gues they have a filter that says 'if its very big, reject!'

6. 2014/04/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Which file?

7. 2014/04/07
    arthur277

Where has trusted installer come from

Soory, I thought we were still on the same topic - the CBS.log file. I have been able to open it as you suggested and it contains a huge amount of information about being unable to upload error reports, invalid entires in the manifest file and lots more.

The system is still operating well and is fully up to date with all Windows updates, except Bing, IE 11 and Silverlight. Even has today's Security update.

So can the CBS.log file be safely deleted?

8. 2014/04/07
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Yes - if you find that you need it in the future it's just a matter of running ssc/ scannow again to produce a current one.

9. 2014/04/07
    arthur277

Thanks PeteC. I think we can put this one to bed now.

10. 2014/04/07
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Excellent. So it looks like this thread is officially resolved then.