1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

When to Reboot XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Johanna, 2004/03/09.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/03/09
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni Thread Starter

You folks know how I love lists. I would appreciate comments, corrections, additions, etc

When to reboot XP

* after updates, patches MS or otherwise
    * after an uninstall or install of software
    * to reset the modem
    * to let XP "Find" new hardware
    * after heavy file transfering
    * after ripping and burning cds (Why is this?)
    * after certain diagnostics or scans (like Spybot)
    * network issues
    * because your IS wants to
    * whever gomething starts acting weird

What did I forget? Anything you disagree with or care to explain fiurther? TIA

Johanna

2. 2004/03/09
    reboot

reboot Inactive

Once a month, needed or not...
    Providing you are not doing any major updates, or hardware changes.

* after updates, patches MS or otherwise Only if absolutely necessary.
    * after an uninstall or install of software Never...well, ok, rarely.
    * to reset the modem Never
    * to let XP "Find" new hardware Never
    * after heavy file transfering Never
    * after ripping and burning cds (Why is this?) Never (supposedly to release used RAM, a load of BS with XP...remember, this is NOT 98!)
    * after certain diagnostics or scans (like Spybot) Never
    * network issues Never
    * because your IS wants to Never
    * whever gomething starts acting weird Never

The first one says it all. Only reboot if absolutely necessary.
    BTW, Current uptime: 936 hours, 52 min, 27 sec (just over 39 days) :D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/03/09
    Johanna

Reboot
    Please tell me why rebooting is a bad thing? I thought it was used to reset XP, and that when in doubt, reboot. Please teach me, because I'm really confused, now.
    TIA
    Johanna :confused:

5. 2004/03/09
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

I agree with reboot 100% I only reboot when it is absolutely necessary, ie when software installation demands it. To avoid the shut-down and boot delays I always use 'Hibernate' and this has never given me any problem, and is much faster.
    I also have my master HD racked and swap regularly with another HD on which I am trying to penetrate the mysteries of Linux.

6. 2004/03/09
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi reboot,

* BTW, Current uptime: 936 hours, 52 min, 27 sec (just over 39 days)*

What's the advantage?

Hello r.leale,

*To avoid the shut-down and boot delays I always use 'Hibernate' and this has never given me any problem, and is much faster.*

I agree, although never use it that often. But, since I swich between OSes often, I made sure that I have minimal startups and shut down services I don't need, shutdown and reboot are each under 20 seconds on my system

Regards - Charles

Last edited: 2004/03/09
  7. 2004/03/09
    Paul

Paul Inactive

If the PC NEEDS to run 24/7, then reboot when installs suggest this, or stability issues seem to be related to uptime. At work we run 2K servers that are rebooted monthly for reliability. XP should go longer, a lot longer. Monthly is a good ballpark figure.

If the PC isn't required for 24/7 operation, then shut it down when you go down (ie finished using it for the day) to give the hardware (and software) a reset, and save some power in the process. Hardware longevity isn't dependent on how little the PC is switched off/on (within reason).

Paul,
  8. 2004/03/10
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

Have to disagree with your last statement Paul, but practically all electronic components, especially those with mechanical components (such as HD's) fail on start-up. Think of the humble light bulb!!

That is the reason you will see ships tied up in port with their radars running non-stop.

9. 2004/03/10
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Think about the humble TV. Switched on and off two or more times a day for how many years (10,20 or in my case the old set has been going strong since 1978) before an electronic failure?
    Look it just isn't really an issue with a PC. We just don't keep the components for that many years.
    I have NEVER had a hardware failure in the 4 PC's i've owned since 1996, except the new SATA hard drive that died after only 3 hours a couple of weeks ago. With all the tweaking, upgrades, downgrades and general messing around, my PC gets restarted sometimes a number (10 or 20) times a day. This is not every day but certainly quite often. I power off and on sometimes a few times a day, but try to keep that to a minimum as the switch mode power supply is a little sensitive to power ups/downs and will usually fail before the other low voltage cards/motherboard will.
    I'm more concerned with the power consumption than with component failure.
    As I've said, if it's required to be used 24/7 then leave on. If not (I.E. Home users, and end of work day) then switch off. Good fire safety sense as well as environmental (greenhouse) considerations.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited: 2004/03/10
    Paul,
  10. 2004/03/10
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Maybe trying to beat Linux uptime :D

My record on Linux is 189 days, then I had to reboot because of a Kernel update.

I haven’t managed more then 42 days on WinXP yet.

Arie,
  11. 2004/03/10
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Somebody please clear this up for me.

I am a bit confused. ( nuttin new there )

Johanna asked about REBOOTING

Does that refer to a POWER OFF reboot or just rebooting ( restarting ) Windows ? Two different things.

The power off bit I do limit. Just restarting ( rebooting ) windows does not have anything to do with the power side. ( at least I do not think so )

Does that mean it has not been powered off or Windows has not been restarted ?

BillyBob

12. 2004/03/10
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi BB,

I took it to mean rebooting - powering on/off was I think covered in an extensive thread in general discussions. On that subject I'm with Dave.

Quote from Reboot: Only reboot if absolutely necessary.

Why?

13. 2004/03/10
    Johanna

Charlesvar
    Do you remember any specifics that might help me find the thread you are referring to? I must have missed it. I still don't understand why rebooting should be avoided? :confused: I ripped 25 cds yesterday and burnt MP3 data files from them- probably rebooted 6 times. If I am wasting my time, I wanna know why!

Johanna

Glad to see you on the BBS again, Charles. Missed Ya! :)

14. 2004/03/10

BillyBob Inactive

I still think there may be some confusion about rebooting.

And are we discussing a Windows restart/reboot or the reboot/restart of the machine ? Of which the latter I avoid as much as possible.

Many users seem to think that a Windows reboot/restart and a power down reboot/restart are the same. They are not. And I had one hell of a time convincing my neighbor of that.

Be it right wrong or indifferent a power off IS A REBOOT whether it be to fix a problem or shut down overnight. The difference is that a power off kills the power supply and all. A Windows reboot/restart or the RESET switch does not.

A Windows reboot/restart are not the same as a power down.

If I do happen to have a lockup I use the RESET switch ( not the power button ) to reboot/restart.

BillyBob

15. 2004/03/10
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Johanna,

Maybe this thread Charles was referring to.

16. 2004/03/10
    Johanna

Hmmm...interesting...I forgot about that thread, and I even added my two cents! The consensus there seems to be to shut down when not using the computer for safety and hardware considerations.

There is a big difference between rebooting and shutting down. A reboot is just a "reset ", while a shut down is a dump. I shut down maybe once every couple of weeks, for an hour or so, but I reboot prn. Rebooting can be a dozen times a day, or not for several days, depending on what I'm using the computer for. I can understand servers, like Arie's, needing to be on 24/7, but the average home user does not need the comp to be on all the time? :confused: Mine is on for the convenience- (and to avoid that doggone checksum error that I sometimes get when powering up!) But I am not an "average" user. In school, they say to power down, but I know lots of comps that never do. Reboot, please come back and explain your reasoning because I'm still confused. :confused:

Johanna

17. 2004/03/10

BillyBob Inactive

That is absolutely 100% correct.

On some days I also reboot/restart XP several times a day. Installing/un-installing/moveing things around require it.

Or even my mess ups may require it. :(

But however I DO NOT agree with using the Power button to reboot/restart Windows ( any version ).

And I do not agree with a power down and restart several times a day.

Windows start/restart. Or in case of a lockup the reset switch works fine.

BillyBob

18. 2004/03/10
    Johanna

:) BB- Lock up? What's that?

Why do you think it's not a good idea to reboot several times a day?

Johanna

19. 2004/03/10

BillyBob Inactive

Something that I do not like. And something that I may get when I try to fix something that ain't broke.:(

Johanna
    Please clear this up for me. Are you speaking of a complete machine reboot or a Windows restart ( reboot ) ?

I did not say ( or mean ) it was not a good idea to reboot ( restart Windows ) several times a day. I do think the less that better but like yourself I have had days when this thing got rebooted ( Windows restarted ) several times in a day. But the machine itself was not rebooted. ( that day anyway )

BillyBob

20. 2004/03/10
    Paul

Paul Inactive

Power down (off) and restart (power on) is more detrimental to hardware as the power on "inrush current" can occasionally cause component failure, particularly to resistors, transistors and capacitors.

A Start|Shutdown|restart doesn't remove power from the hardware. What it does is do a reset (logic and software reset of the cards, MB, drives and optical devices). This is the main difference, an generally is "kinder" on the hardware.

Leaving high voltage components such as the switch mode power supply on, will eventually cause the capacitors in the supply to dry out and leak/or explode. Generally we will have replaced the case and power supply in an upgrade before this has a chance to happen.

As I said before we don't generally keep hardware for enough years for a full power down/power up once or twice a day to cause a failure in all except a very few cases.

If like me you want to save energy and lessen the likelyhood of fan failures (termed wear and tear) and dust build up in the power supply and case (termed fire hazard due to the insulating properties of dust) Then turn the PC off when not required for several hours, like over night.

Not rocket science I would have thought ;)

21. 2004/03/10

BillyBob Inactive

Makes sense to me.
    Thanks Paul.

BillyBob

PS.
    Doesn't the reset button do the same things ?

BB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.