1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

What's best free email service?

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Roger at CCCC, 2004/11/24.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/12/14
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Gmail is "beta ", but it's stable, easy to use, and easy to tailor to your specific needs. It has not been released to the public yet, but I think it will set the standard for our email expectations. You get a full gig of storage on the website, and the spam filtering is better than anything I've seen.

Newt, I'll send the invite- and I think you are gonna love it. I belong to a couple of lists for Leatherworkers, and because of the volume of mail, OE was getting rather crowded. I have been using Gmail to archive and sort leather mail, and the search functions alone have saved my sanity.

Johanna

2. 2004/12/14
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Got it and thank you. Won't get a chance to play with it before tomorrow though.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/12/14
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

I've had Gmail for a few months now. No problem getting and sending messages, but (while I have not spent a whole lot of time on it) I cannot figure out how to "Go to the next (or previous) message" when I am reading one message or how to "Save a message for offline viewing ".
    FWIW--You have to have ActiveX settings at Enable or Prompt to use Gmail.

5. 2004/12/14
    Johanna

Johanna Inactive Alumni

Most of my Gmail are threads, and the "conversations" are arranged chronologicaly by subject title. The attachment may help. To move between "conversation ", or single emails, "p" is previous, "n" is next, "enter" is expand.
    HTH
    Johanna

6. 2004/12/25
    indutch Lifetime Subscription

indutch Well-Known Member

Hi Johanna -

I, too, would welcome an invitation to Gmail (for a test run of several weeks), if you have any of them left.

I went to the Gmail link that you posted above and the first thing that caught my eye was: "Gmail is an experiment in a new kind of webmail . . . "

Personally, had they used the word "Beta" (instead of "experiment ") I would feel a bit more comfortable with using Gmail on a long-term basis !!

However, my ? now is; "What happens if Google decides to discontinue their experiment in the next six months?? Will all of the users of Gmail suddenly lose all of the e-mail that they have received and collected in that time with Gmail? This is just a concern of a computer 'pessimist-of-the-first-and-to, the Nth degree'. :(

Mike

OBTW: I was 'borned & drug up' in Youngstown. How far is that from where you live?

7. 2005/01/06
    Greg Golden

Greg Golden Well-Known Member

Roger, Glad you found a solution right at your ISP. I was about to suggest that. Many people fuss over "free" email accounts. They are fun and abundant, yes. And they usually do charge for POP3 download functions. But as you found, most ISP's give you pretty good mail service included in your price. (BTW-- My ISP is SBC, who partnered up with Yahoo about 2 years ago. Now Yahoo handles all the mail for SBC and it is a nicely enhanced version of Yahoo's free mail, very reliable, with no extra charge..) GG. :)

8. 2005/01/12
    Skuld

Skuld Inactive

Gmail is the king!

9. 2005/01/15
    bluzkat

bluzkat Inactive

indutch,
    Gmail is in 'beta'. I don't think it will go away anytime soon. That's probably why Microsoft and Yahoo are in such a hurry to try and offer the same type service. I'm willing to stick my neck out and say Gmail will be HUGE!! :D

B :cool:

10. 2005/01/16
    Rockit

Rockit Inactive

I have three webmails. Yahoo, Gmail, and my ISP's webmail and out of the three of them Yahoo gets my vote. :eek: I just like the way it works and find it easy to use. And it seems to be faster than Gmail for some reason?

Good Luck
    Rockit

Last edited: 2005/01/16
  11. 2005/01/25
    Purple Haze Lifetime Subscription

Purple Haze Well-Known Member

Free E-mail

Maybe I missed it, but did anyone mention the 1-GB mailbox of Gmail? I was using Juno - among others - but when they decided to start charging, I stayed with the Web-only version. It wasn't long I started experiencing LONG connect times (Cox Cable) even during non-peak hours. There seemed to be days when I just could not web-connect to my Juno account. I gave up......forwarded everything I wanted to my Gmail account and closed the Juno. Dang happy now.
    Oh, by the way, if you are paying for an ISP, your e-mail is not really 'free' either :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.