1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved What does this mean (Speccy sez...)

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by elcajongunsfan, 2017/12/21.

1. 2017/12/21
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Speccy sez my monitor is unsafe.. What does that mean? And Merry Xmas to all!!

[​IMG]

2. 2017/12/21
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

That's a first one ! Maybe drivers are out of date.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/12/22
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

How did you get that spec? Have you changed the Refresh rate or as rsinfo suggests your graphics drivers need updating.

5. 2017/12/22
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That is really odd. Is it the latest version of Speccy (v1.31.732)?

Bill,
  6. 2017/12/22

I'll report back later. Im sure its not up to date

Tnx

7. 2017/12/22

Verified!! I do have the latest version and i did refresh.. As for vid card drivers, If things are running good, I prefer not to update. i don't do games -- just email and browse
    Thanks

[​IMG]

8. 2017/12/23
    Bill

But that Speccy status is for your monitor, not video card.

It should be noted that monitor drivers are not really hardware "drivers". This is because operating systems don't communicate directly with monitors. They communicate with the graphics solution and it is the graphics solution's responsibility to communicate with the monitor.

Basic monitor "drivers" are typically just information files. They inform the OS the brand and model number and the supported resolutions and refresh rates. With this file installed, what the user typically sees is unsupported resolutions are grayed out and it will say something like "Generic PnP Monitor".

Now backing up a bit, if the monitor has extra features like a built in USB hub, or maybe internal speakers via HDMI, or something special, the "drivers" may be needed for those features. But to get the video to the screen, Windows already knows how to communicate with your card, and your card already knows how to communicate with the display.

That said, I see on the ASUS page a 2016/03/31 v1.1.1.1 "utility" is available. You might check that out if you are not current there (note that is for model VS247H - I did not see just VS247).

Bill,
  9. 2017/12/23

agreed.. earlier someone suggested vid card drivers..I never heard of monitor drivers. I'll just wait for the next speccy update. I noticed speccy has a forum.. Not really busy..I'll post this there

tnx

10. 2017/12/23
    retiredlearner

I have purchased 2nd hand monitors over the last 6 or 7 years as I replaced CRT with LCD.
    Because they were 2hd hand I had to Google for the Drivers for the specific brand and model (Benq, Asus, Acer and ViewSonic) and once installed - Device Manager showed the make and model of Monitor rather than Generic.
    Never got an unsafe from Speccy :eek:.

11. 2017/12/23
    eisneun

eisneun Well-Known Member

speccy forums had the "unsafe" problem corrected by update graphic driver.
    "EDIT: It no longer says unsafe. I did change the graphics driver, however. Problem solved, I guess."
    Speccy Graphics section, Unsafe?

12. 2017/12/24
    retiredlearner

Hi eisneun, Seems like Forum members have been chasing an answer for some time. My W10 Pro 64bit "Insider Preview" comp is running 2 Monitors (Acer & Benq) and Speccy does not show any unsafe reference.
    It appears that the Pixel Resolution is decided by the screen size and I'm OK with that. There was mention of Beta versions - well we all know that Beta versions can be 'buggy' at the best of times.
    My suggestion would be uninstall Speccy completely and ensure no dregs are left behind (ADW Cleaner), make sure the latest Monitor drivers are installed and then download the latest version of Speccy and see what happens.
    Merry Xmas all.

13. 2017/12/25
    Bill

Do you mean "Work" resolution? The difference between "Current" resolution and "Work" resolution is the usable space on your desktop after any space used by taskbars are subtracted. So if you have the Taskbar Settings set to Automatically hide the task bar in desktop mode, the Current and Work values will be the same.

Raindeer.jpg

14. 2017/12/26
    retiredlearner

You are right Bill, Work and Current resolution show in Speccy as the same as the screen size.

15. 2017/12/30

Thanks for the speccy message board threads. i have not updated my graphics drivers and don't plan on it. It would be nice to have the software developer comment on this

Closing this thread