1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista What causes Blue Screen at power up.

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by BobbyScot, 2015/06/01.

1. 2015/06/09
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

BobbyScot, Try this link for SP1:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5842
    Make sure you read the instructions that are available especially regarding installation.
    If your W7 DVD does not contain SP1 - just download and install the above then you can get the rest of the updates in small groups and install as I suggested previously. Neil.

2. 2015/06/09
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Neil, it was very kind of you for checking out TigerDirect, unusual for a US firm not shipping to Scotland, thanks anyway. Well I tried out removing Avast anti virus, as my troubles started on installing Avast, and the very first it was tried, its Rubbish Remover, caused such havoc a Factory Setting was required. I have gone back to my old faithful 360Total Security (some members will no doubt raise their eye brows in horror). However, each time today power ups have made a clean Desktop and no Blue Screen. This may not last long but can only hope.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/06/09
    retiredlearner

Why do you run Avast/360 Total Security with Vista/W7? I have never had any compatibility problems with MSE or Defender.
    I've used MSE/Defender from XP Home/Pro/Vista/W7/W8.1/W10 without any problems or comp invasions.
    I've had MSE quarantine Malware - a siren sound and a message pops up in the Sys Tray advising what the AV is doing. It works!
    I know Avast has expanded their AV software and I know my brother has had problems when it keeps telling him he needs new drivers. I told him to ignore it and not to use the cleaners that are offered. Neil.

5. 2015/06/10
    BobbyScot

Neil, every magazine and even WindowsBBS in some cases press to remove Windows MSE as it is worthless at stopping viruses. Personally, I like MSE but brainwashed to ditch MSE. Avast and its add-ons, never again plus the fact it continuously wants you to upgrade to Pro. Today, so far, no "Blue Screen" may it continue.

6. 2015/06/10
    retiredlearner

Well done! I classed Avast as my next choice after MSE/Defender as I've tested many other Brand AV's in the past and have Posted in BBS on my feelings.
    The latest Avast plagues you with a 'Splash' screen as does Avira. Symantec (Norton) is a resource hog - but each man/woman to their own choice.
    Hopefully you're problem free and it is W7 you have running? or is it Vista. Neil.

7. 2015/06/10
    BobbyScot

Neil, yes indeed it is everyone to decide on a choice, but advice should always be heeded as no one can be right all the time. I am being bombarded by TigerDirect offering me offers, why, when they do not ship to Scotland, perhaps they do not know where in the world we are. I am using Vista Home Premium 64bit as the moment. Windows 7 update disk from HP installs but fails, only a white screen and "Freezes ". At least with Vista, I am able to record the weather pattern relating to my part of the world. Bob.

8. 2015/06/10
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Bobby: TigerDirect called me back to. They asked me if I was still interested in the MS Windows 7 Home Premium DVD. I replied not unless you can sent it to Scotland. TigerDirect's reply to that was "We only ship to the US and Canada Have a nice day. "

Last edited: 2015/06/10
  9. 2015/06/10
    retiredlearner

Bob, have you tried the W7 install since Vista is up and running OK and now you have uninstalled Avast?
    I would disconnect from your Modem/Router > Disable any Anti-Virus program > then try the install of W7.
    If it installs OK - then you can enable your AV and get the necessary Updates after you have installed SP1. Neil.

10. 2015/06/11
    BobbyScot

Neil, I accept in what you say, but from past two experiences it would be committing suicide, as now computer is behaving without "dreaded, blue screen ". I am a great believer in "if not broke" leave well alone. I hope you understand my predicament. Bob.

11. 2015/06/11
    retiredlearner

I understand completely. W7 from what I've seen in this BBS has been a heartache to many with installation problems, but once it's up and running it's great.
    The W8/8.1 Upgrade DVD (burned from ISO) following Arie's instructions was a piece of cake and definitely not as flakey as W7.
    Bottom line - "if it ain't broke - don't fix it ". Neil.

12. 2015/06/12
    BobbyScot

Neil, your help has been most valuable, many thanks, Bob

13. 2015/06/12
    BobbyScot

Neil, TigerDirect has responded, they do ship to all parts of the UK. Shipping can be expensive!

14. 2015/06/12
    retiredlearner

Tell me about it. I can buy through Ebay Au where the seller is in China and have it within 9 days and freight FREE.
    From the US the freight is quite often quoted at up to 1½ times the cost of the article.
    Aussie Postal charges to NZ can be ¾ the cost of the goods. I quite often get the feeling that some sellers overcost the freight to try and get some extra money out of the deal.
    I actually worked in a Freight Dept part time over a period of 4years and the guy who was selling me a comp part got quite a surprise when I emailed him to advise that his suggested freight cost was twice the cost for me to send something to him.
    I just told him I would pay the set amount I knew it cost or the deal was off and I would report him for overcharging. Got the goods and didn't get a peep out of him. Neil.

15. 2015/06/12
    BobbyScot

Neil, it must be world over, delivery is high. To post a USB stick can cost in the region of £6, certainly a big profit margin. Main excuse is the high cost of wages plus all their over heads, they really think we the customer swallow stated excuses. UK has always been known for over charging, as the USA dollar equals £ though the exchange rate is 33% of a difference in the retailer favour. Bob.