1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista What causes Blue Screen at power up.

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by BobbyScot, 2015/06/01.

1. 2015/06/03
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

That was in the back of my mind then I searched: Error: Search Mapi2.Handler1 and then Pale Blue Screen. The pale blue screen hits referred to registry cleaner errors showed up on a few hits. Search Service Error Also found a few references to the video card may be on it's way out.

Last edited: 2015/06/03
  2. 2015/06/03
    BobbyScot

BobbyScot Geek Member Thread Starter

Can I point out that Catastrophic Error x.8000FFFF in my case refers to Windows Backup and Restore, at present not able to carry out. B&R has been like this for months and have never been able to find a solution.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/06/03
    BobbyScot

I have tried the suggested FixIt procedure.

5. 2015/06/03

Did you look at the link in my post# 18 Microsoft Community and then click on the suggested link under the first answer. Registry Keys may have been removed during one of your CCleaner sessions. Did you back up your registry when CCleaner advised before clicking on Fix selected items.

Last edited: 2015/06/04
  6. 2015/06/03
    BobbyScot

Fixit did not make any requests after completion and I did not make save of the Registry.

7. 2015/06/03
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I can only suggest that you run sfc /scannow and see if that can fix your problem.
    If I remember correctly > Start > Type cmd in Search box > OK/Enter > Right click on top entry > click on Run as Administrator > then enter sfc /scannow > Enter.
    The comp will now perform the request and will advise you at the end what status is.
    This worth trying as the only option after that would be to re-install Vista/Repair from your DVD. Neil.

8. 2015/06/04
    BobbyScot

I carried out an sfc /scannow. Reported that it could not repair all errors. Typing C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log could not be opened as Access Denied.I have only HP Presario disk for factory settings, and a very long work out. On recollecting this same error occurred in Windows 7 being the main reason for reverting back to Vista. Is it feasible to buying a new Copy of Windows 7 and installing to a complete clean C drive or is it that HP has configured computer to function only with their factory settings?
    Device Manager: Human Interface Devices showed that Logistic Wi-fi was disabled due to an error. I removed entry as Keyboard/mouse were not required,reverting back to original Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse.
    However this has not corrected error in question.

9. 2015/06/04
    retiredlearner

10. 2015/06/04

VC913AA I hope the HP remedy works for you. If you're missing the registry keys listed. There may be the possibility of a reinstallation of the OS. I'll Keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't have to come to that. So, good luck.

11. 2015/06/05
    BobbyScot

Thank you both for the research carried out, most appreciated. I remember that this exercise was carried out when Windows 7 was current OS. It did not rectifier Critical Error then and to date error still persists, even after several Factory Settings being carried out. You could say Critical Error started in 2009 a few months after use off computer.

12. 2015/06/05
    retiredlearner

13. 2015/06/05
    BobbyScot

Sorry checking HDD, negative result. As I said before, re-installing computer to its factory settings has never been successful in correcting this error. I have often thought that initial HP setup or factory settings four disks were corrupted. That is why if possible, no doubt not, to obtain a new Windows 7 OS disk, starting fresh, without HP additional software..

14. 2015/06/05

Maybe a combination of a new HDD and new Windows OS installation disk will do the trick. If your current HDD is fairly new then use it. Don't upgrade do a full OS install. There's a lot less chance of things going wrong with the full install route. My HP Pavilion DV4-2167SB came with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. I went into the Control Panel and chose the Windows Anytime Upgrade option. I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Last edited: 2015/06/06
  15. 2015/06/05
    BobbyScot

Using Windows Vista UpDate Anytime will I presume take me to Windows 7 64bit at a cost? As you are like myself an HP user, no disk where made available other than the four CDs containing Factory Settings. My Windows 7 update CD was obtained from HP official agent, that now refuses to install Windows 7 64bit other than a white as to blue screen presently experiencing.

16. 2015/06/05
    retiredlearner

What shows in Management in that HDD?
    Start > Right click PC (My computer) > Manage > Disk Management.
    If the HDD you have trouble with is an original HP HDD, it may have a Recovery Partition. If it was mine - I would use a CLEAN HDD and install Vista afresh.
    Another consideration - is your HP comp suitable for W10?
    Vista was never considered a 'good' OS even when it was first introduced, it was a "new" trial OS different from XP and a fill in while W7 was being finished for intro.
    I would seriously consider moving on from Vista and the way to install your W7 would be for me, a new HDD (completely clean). Can you use HDD manufacturers software to Format the drive to enable a clean drive? Neil.

17. 2015/06/06

HP sent me a set of recovery disks for free. I was having trouble with the HP Advisor Dashboard. It was showing Battery Condition Unknown. Reinstalling the OS was their solution. Next HP assigned me a Case Manager and I had to send HP the machine and they changed the System Board(it was still under warranty). The machine was sent back to me with the same problem. I informed the HP Case Manager that I thought it was the HDD but he disagreed. So, I swapped out the HDD for a new HDD and used the set of Recovery disks they had sent me then performed the Anytime Upgrade. Lo and behold problem solved. You may have to bite the bullet and get another HDD. As far as that Windows 7 Upgrade disk I've never heard of HP sending an upgrade disk. An HP service Tech informed me that they were trained to instruct HP customers to use the Control Panel Windows Anytime Upgrade option.

18. 2015/06/06
    BobbyScot

Checked Disk Management, Compac (C) and Factory_Image show as healthy.To reinstal Vista in my case is a Factory Setting that has peoved to be the only procedure for me without guarantee of a fix. Each power up now is a "Blue Screen ". Pressing the Power button, displays a caption "Shutting down Group Client Services ".

19. 2015/06/06
    BobbyScot

lj50, HP does indeed give help for the first year, after which they do not want to know your conflicts (personal experience). In 2009 Windows 7 was offered free as an up grade from Vista. It was recommended to obtain a CD of Windows 7 at a charge of £10, this I did as a safeguard. CD would only work with the original computer installed with Vista.
    Printed on disk : "For use only as an upgrade to a qualifying HP Windows 7 upgrade option PC. "

20. 2015/06/06
    retiredlearner

BobbyScot, as I said earlier, I would install W7 on a new clean HDD and forget Vista as you can't seem to get a Recovery to finish. Neil.

21. 2015/06/06

You should replace the upgade disk for a new Windows 7 OS DVD and forget about that upgade disk and Vista. But that is your option as to what you want do as far as trying to resolve the problem. I'm using a computer that I built 15 years ago running Windows XP Professional. 2GB Ram 40GB HDD to write this post.