1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista What are your plans for Windows Vista?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Arie, 2007/01/26.

?

What are your plans for Windows Vista?

Poll closed 2007/03/27.
  1. I plan to upgrade my current PC/OS as soon as possible to Vista (0-6 months)

12 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. I will probably upgrade my current PC/OS to Vista within the next year

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. I will wait till Service Pack 1 is released, then I’ll probably upgrade

16 vote(s)
    13.8%
  4. I won’t upgrade

7 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. I will do a clean install on my current hardware

16 vote(s)
    13.8%
  6. I will get a new PC with Vista installed (next 6 months)

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. I will get a new PC with Vista installed ( > 6 months)

9 vote(s)
    7.8%
  8. When Service Pack 1 is released, I will get a new PC with Vista installed

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  9. I’m not planning on a new PC within the next 2 years

6 vote(s)
    5.2%
  10. I’ll continue running Windows XP for as long as possible

59 vote(s)
    50.9%
  11. I’m running another OS; I don’t have any interest in Vista

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 2007/02/03
    James

James Inactive

I'll be sticking with XP as well. When it's time for a change (hopefully not in the coming year), I'll probably make the jump to a Mac.

2. 2007/02/04
    Whiskeyman Lifetime Subscription

Whiskeyman Inactive Alumni

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/02/04
    monty007

monty007 Inactive

Hey all, I wont be rushing out either. I got to much software and hardware that needs new drivers and the price is to expensive. I would only buy ultimate for myself and home Premium for the kids pc so that will bring the bill to about $1200 sorry ive got other things to buy first. But I will say that it is a impresive package. ( I have being running it RC2 in VMware)

5. 2007/02/04
    -User-

-User- Inactive

I'm pretty happy w/XPsp2 & things I don't like about Vista outnumber those I do by ~10 to 1 so, especially since MS has announced extended support for the Home Edition, I'll stick w/XP. It's very disappointing that MS has decided to make their OS more 'Mac-like' & taken away various configuration options - if people wanted a Mac-like OS, why wouldn't they just buy a Mac (something I'll never do - "It just works" is fine until you discover that you don't like the way it works and that you can't do anything about it). Apparently, considering the direction MS has chosen to take w/Vista, if you want a personalized computer, the choice is now Linux, a move I was planning on making until MS announced extended support. If MS was concerned about the growing popularity of Ubuntu (for instance) in the face of them ignoring complaints/suggestions of power-users during Vista's development, this was probably the smartest move they could have made - there's no rush now! Personally, I hope that MS continues to sell XP - altho there's no way I'll go for Vista, I would consider buying a retail copy of XPsp3 depending on price & what it looks like when the time comes. (JMO)

6. 2007/02/04
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Well, Vista seems quite configurable to me. I haven't really found anything I can't change to my liking. Some things are a bit harder to find but I could have said the same when I went from 98 to XP. In fact I did. I remember lots of people at that time talking about how XP wasn't as configurable as 98. Vista is a long ways from a Mac as far as I'm concerned.;)

7. 2007/02/05
    desertbluesman

desertbluesman Well-Known Member

I will get a new PC with Vista installed ( > 6 months) was my vote.

I always like to stay up with the times. I will get a new laptop (because I need one shortly anyways) since I am need one I will get one with the Vista OS on it. I have 3 other computers at home, one in my home office running ME, one laptop/tablet PC running XP SP2 Tablet and my Digital Audio workstation running XP Pro SP1. I have to put on SP2 for it but it runs so flawlessly, I am hesitant to change anything. But the inevitability is I have to do the SP2 thing because some of my newer software acquisitions require SP2 (shudder I will have to brave it) Since my DAW is a 32 bit computer I will not upgrade that until I absolutely have to. Then it is a 64 bit sys all the way.

8. 2007/02/16
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

Am I allowed to change my mind? :D I've just upgraded my laptop to 1.25 Gb RAM. The laptop isn't mission critical, and I realised it was an obvious platform for me to get used to Vista on.

I've got to decide which version to install, but will probably be doing the install in the next week or so. Business version I expect.

9. 2007/02/17
    RexB Lifetime Subscription

RexB groundskeeper

O'course mind changes are allowed. I change it twice before lunch even :)

I'm going with Vista Business or better this summer with a new build. Will keep XP Pro on this machine until get used to Vista.

10. 2007/02/26
    jabfarm Lifetime Subscription

jabfarm Inactive

What are plans for Windows Vista

I had no say . If my old pC would not of fried the mother board I would of stayed with Windows XP.
    All system I looked at all ready have Vista downloaded. I could not find a new PC with xp. So I am stuck with Vista

11. 2007/03/01
    ReggieB

ReggieB Inactive Alumni

Gor blimey! I wasn't expecting to see a post reporting that so soon after the Vista release!

12. 2007/03/02

jabfarm Inactive

What are plans for Windows Vista

I found that you need to have a copy of Windows Vista on hand to download any new drivers. And everything that one will use will need a new driver. Printers will not work even if they say Vista ready. Anyone looking for game have fun for they will not be ready until the summer. Vista right now is like getting a new car and all you have is the tires. then in six month you get another part. Sorry to say but unless you have money to play with just let Vista wait a year until all the bugs are worked out.

13. 2007/03/02
    Zander

This I don't understand. I've got a Canon I860 and although I don't have the final release of Vista, I've run a couple of betas and both RC's and each time I installed them, my printer worked just fine, right from the git go. No special drivers needed other than what was installed when I installed Vista. :confused:

Games are another question mark to me. I'm not a huge gamer but have a few and have yet to find one that doesn't run on Vista.

14. 2007/03/03
    Fang

Fang Inactive

It's funny but some things I install on Vista wont run but when I come back later on then they are working. :confused:

15. 2007/03/03

jabfarm Inactive

What are your plans for Windows Vista

Here is a little something for all to think about . In are news paper today they said that you can load xp and vista. so you will end up with vista xp.
    They said that there is a file at microsoft that will lead you throught on how it is done. This way xp will work on vista.
    So if anyone wonts to give it a try please let the rest of us know how you make out.

16. 2007/03/03
    EL CONJUNTO

EL CONJUNTO Well-Known Member

I just want to give it a test drive to see how it works. i'll use it as a dual boot setup to test out drivers, programs and workarounds.

17. 2007/03/04
    r.leale Lifetime Subscription

r.leale Well-Known Member

Jabfarm,
    You shouldn't believe everything you read in the newspapers. You can dual boot XP and Vista, but there's no way that they will merge. As for the drivers statement, that is rubbish! I am sure that some peripherals will not find suitable drivers in Vista, but I am also sure that most will. I needed to download a new driver for my LCD monitor, and to update the driver for my nVidia graphics card, but that is all. My two printers, Zip, Scanner, external HD's , and my second monitor were all up and running when the install completed.
    I am also surprised at how many of the programmes I had used in XP still work when I start them from inside Vista.

Roger

18. 2007/03/04
    Zander

I don't know. My guess is the article jabfarm is talking about was more than likely about Microsoft Virtual PC. You could certainly run XP within Vista with it, or Vista within XP. This would probably be the "file at Microsoft" that they are talking about.

19. 2007/03/04
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello jabfarm,

Would love to see this article :)

Is it possible for you to provide a link to this article?

Regards - Charles

20. 2007/03/05

jabfarm Inactive

What are your plans for Windows Vista

Charlesvar
    Been looking all day to find the site for you with no luck. It came from The Express-Times date Saturday March 3,2007 in the Money section of the paper there website www.pennlive.com/lv.
    I an holding it in my hand but to find it on there website I will let someone who knows what there doing find it.

21. 2007/03/06
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi jabfarm,

Can't find it either.

Can you tell if it is the MS Virtual PC application that Zander alluded to?

Regards - Charles