1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

web update [IE6 won't install - .dll file corrupt or missing]

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by gary247, 2006/06/04.

1. 2006/06/04
    gary247

gary247 Inactive Thread Starter

My OS is WinME and when I try to upgrade IE5.5 to IE6.0 sp1 (all uncessary applications closed) I do not get a full install. I tried to find IE5.5sp2 to install prior to installing IE6.0 put I cannot find it to download. I also get an error message when I reboot that says mscrlrev.dll is corrupt or missing which I am guessing maybe where the problem is. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. 2006/06/04
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hello gary,

FYI: IE v5.5 SP2 http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit

If you run System Restore, restore back prior to IE6 install attempt.

Its been a long time since I've run WinME and don't remember where to remove IE versions, look in Help & Support if you don't know where it is.

I've modified your title to reflect what your asking.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/06/04
    Welshjim

Welshjim Inactive

gary247--
    What do you mean by that? When you download IE, you usually first download only a setup file (~500KB). Then while connected to the Internet, you run the setup file to download and install the whole program. (This could be 11-75MB depending on what files are already on your PC). It takes a long time on dialup. Perhaps, your internet connection may be disconnecting?
    Adding to charlesvar's suggestion--To revert to a previous version of IE: Click Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs|Microsoft Internet Explore|Remove. (Do not panic. You will not remove IE!) You maybe offered several choices. One is to revert to a previous version of IE. Click on that. OK.
    mscrlrev.dll has something to do with the fake VeriSign certificates that MS accidentally issued in early 2004, but I cannot tell you why you are getting that message. If you run a Search for that file, do you find it on your PC?

5. 2006/06/04
    gary247

web undate

I go thru the full install and then get a message pop up that setup was unable to install all the components. Close all applications and run set up again which I do and get the same message and the same when I reboot. I found the mscrlrev.dll in the windows system file. Everything is there, just will not install. I found a post at another site when I did a search fo mscrlrev.dll and their solution was to install the IE 5.5 st2 which is nowhere to be found as a full install, then do the IE6 st1 install and there is nothing from MS. I cannot revert back to a previous version as there are none just IE5.5.

Gary

6. 2006/06/04
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

Did you check the link Charles posted? You can get IE 5.5 SP2 there. It must be a full install. It's 83MBs in size.

7. 2006/06/10
    gary247

installing IE6

Just wanted to thank Charlesvar for his suggestion of downloading from that site. I downloaded both 5.5sp2 and 6 (full installs)and they worked perfectly. This enabled me to use the DSL service that I had signed up for but would not work with IE5.5

8. 2006/06/11
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Hi gary,

Your welcome, glad that solved the problem :)

Regards - Charles