1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

web pages not fully loading - Moz/FF

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by savagcl, 2005/03/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/20
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member Thread Starter

Marklet,

Lots of good info there and a lot of new ones(to me anyway) i wasnt aware of.
    I saved your post and will check into them soonest. Like most people, i thought
    i was pretty well covered.

Thank you, Marklet,
    savagcl

BTW: I re-installed FF 1.0.1 (using default theme) and it works great,
    no incomplete pages. Mozilla still get incompletes - thinking i will re-install it,
    without the pilot theme and see if thats the problem.

2. 2005/03/20
    Marklet

Marklet Inactive

Hi Clif,
    You're not alone. Though not well protected, you were probably more protected than most people. The biggest security error/myth is that most people think their AV protects them against trojans because of the sly marketing language. One AV started that & then others coopted the language to be 'competitive'. AVs would like to offer better protection but their marketing people fear better would be non-competitive. Yes, that sounds strange but it's true. Why? Because if they added true comprehensive trojan protection then the demand scan would take much longer & the average newb would think 'hey, this is too slow compared to others'. Another reason is while they could add more signatures, they'd still be far behind the technology Trojan Hunter (& TDS) have on trojan heuristics (different from virus heuristics). So the most important software most people don't have is Trojan Hunter (one time fee with no annual subscription).

Wow Clif, you can live without Skypilot? Though I switch themes occasionally, I love Skypilot. I've also figured out how to make changes I want to Skypilot using userChrome.css & 'WALLA' I figured out how to still use userChrome but make the changes override the specific theme only instead of all themes! (Spent too many puzzling hours on it, plus received some great help from friends). It's now great to know I can stop userChrome from being a default overall override & I don't have to turn it on or off or use multiple userChromes & have to rename them .old; just 1 userChrome always on & only affecting the theme I want to affect. The method works with Skypilot & some other themes. In other cases (other themes) you'd first have to add an identifier within those themes stylesheets so you can reference the identifier in userChrome.css

Here's an example to place in userchrome.css

window[theme= "SPC"] statusbarpanel {color: black !important;}

Above only overrides Skypilot & changes the status bar text from yellow to black. You could substitute any recognized color or better the html value code. If you wanted it to overide all themes, you'd just remove
    [theme= "SPC"]

Skypilot's internals label itself as "SPC ". Some themes lack an internal label. To modify those (& those only) you'd have to unpack them & add a theme name. You'd first have to unpack a fully conforming theme like Skypilot & look at each css file to locate the places where the label is needed. That, I haven't yet done & it could be quite time consuming. There might be a way to add an overide userchrome file within the theme itself, but I haven't tried that yet (probably won't as I already have what I want).

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/20

I love skypilot, not to mention its easier on the eyes. I keep looking for
    skypilot for FF - eventually it will show up.

You've dug into themes a lot more than i have. Actually, i haven't touched
    them but i will try the line about yellow to black. Maybe i'll post a request to
    that forum to have it changed officially.

Lots of themes to be had but i find most are to garish, loud or glaring while
    skypilot is great all around. Given time, theres a lot of "things" i'd like to open
    up and look inside but being retired is a misnomer, i'm busier now than i ever
    was while working - "honey do" list seems to grow exponentially. :)

Will post the results of re-installing moz without/with skypilot.

5. 2005/03/20
    Marklet

Marklet Inactive

I had already researched their Forum & all their sitepages. It was once filed as a bug & left open to seek feedback from other Users; no additional feedback was received & the bug was closed.

The changes I made were that yellow statusbar text (made Forecastfox hard to read), & I also replaced the throbber that had the 'kamikazi' looking pilot & replaced it with a US flag. (If you don't opt for a browser default throbber, then you need to paste the throbber you choose into the profile's chrome folder & then identify the file name in your userChrome, - otherwise it's looking for something that's not there).

6. 2005/03/20

I have a throbber alreadey, it spins when there is activity and is easy to spot.

I loaded msspywarebeta and it got 1 hit and removed it. Also got CWShredder -
    no hits there. So i guess i'm clean (for now). The MS one is only good for 133
    days, not sure if it will be a purchase item or just an update. Knowing MS,
    eventually it will be a purchase item but may well be worth it.

Be offline for a while, want to do a system backup while i'm clean and remove
    all the other bad backups.

thanks a bunch for the security tips,
    savagcl

7. 2005/03/20

OK, a uninstall/re-install of MOZ (minus skypilot) appears to have almost
    eliminated the incomplete pages. Only 1/2 still doing it but i suspect activity
    in the background like searches, animation, etc is causing them.

I'll miss skypilot but will try it again, next update.

thanks for all the help folks,
    savagcl

8. 2005/03/20
    Marklet

Marklet Inactive

Hi Clif,

MS has announced that it will continue to be free for XP users, however they will eventually drop XP support when it becomes old. I think they plan to keep it free to the most current OS & 1 OS back for a period of time.

I don't know if the BETA will update at the end to the Release or a new download will be required.

Read the Help files & do use the advanced tools in it too.

You're always very welcome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.