1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

web pages not fully loading - Moz/FF

Discussion in 'Firefox, Thunderbird & SeaMonkey' started by savagcl, 2005/03/12.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/03/17
    Ramona

Ramona Geek Member Alumni

clif,

What was the ZA fix that you applied? Don't keep us in suspense... ;)

Ramona

2. 2005/03/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I am also curious, as I have Zone Alarm free v.5.5.062.011, which I think is the latest version.
    I have had Zone Alarm as long as I have cable, i.e. over five years, except for a short time when I used Sygate. That particular version had severe memory lapses, requiring uninstalling and reinstalling about once each week.
    My problem with ZA was that it went overboard as a Firewall, not allowing me to get my cable connection.
    Otherwise, ZA does not care which browser is used, as long as permission is granted. Incomplete loading, or even refused access, if some web tracking website did not like the browser. It happened to me, once with doubleclick.net at pcworld.com.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/03/17
    Ramona

I had that same experience with ZA. I don't load ZA at startup, and if by chance I forgot to start ZA before logging on, then ZA would not let me access anything!

Ramona

5. 2005/03/17
    JSS3rd Lifetime Subscription

JSS3rd Geek Member

I DO load ZA at startup, but found I had to put my Ethernet card in the Trusted Zone, rather than the Internet Zone.

6. 2005/03/17
    savagcl Lifetime Subscription

savagcl Geek Member Thread Starter

I had to do a uninstall of za from the run menu but first changed the properties
    of the uninstall string to include a "space/clean" as shown here.

"C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zauninst.exe" /clean

then reboot into safe mode and delete the c:\windows\internet logs folder and
    empty the recycle bin then re0install.

While this made mozilla work (pages fully loaded) FF still dont fully load.

As a test, i made FF the default browser (suggestion from ZA forum) but that
    didnt work.
    So, i'm thinking about removing FF and doing a re-install and try it as the default
    browser. Thoughts?

thanks all,
    savagcl

7. 2005/03/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

I agree. I always had ZA at startup. The only time I ran into cable problems was after v.2.6. I think that I was dealing with 3.1.
    The other time, which I solved almost immediately, was with v.4.5. Marklet mentioned this earlier as a suggested fix. It is not quite correct that it is a fix, but a 4.5 installation provided by ZA did allow me to remove the 4.5 which I had, and roll back, until something else came up.
    But, I don't even remember what was the problem.

8. 2005/03/17

Looks like a re-install fixed it (FF), i mean).
    I did go through the registry and remove any leftovers from FF before
    re-installing.

Now to see if i can add my extensions and still perform correctly.

savagcl

9. 2005/03/17

One other little nit - it appears that the theme i like (skypilot) has not been
    updated for this latest version of FF.
    When i installed it, the incomplete page loading was back.

Guess i'll have to wait for the update.

Thanks all,
    savagcl

10. 2005/03/17
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

Themes can be a major source of problems, and, having such a fliud situation ,with new versions coming out all the time, it is a chore for theme builders. I would not settle on any one theme as long as things change as frequently as they do. But the skypilot fellow is one of the best.

11. 2005/03/18

I completely agree, Westside.

A good theme.

savagcl

12. 2005/03/18
    Marklet

Marklet Inactive

Several points in reply to other posts

Anyone know what to place in a new usercss to change these things in skypilot:

I 'love' skypilot theme other than the yellow text on the status bar where I like to keep the Forecastfox Extension (weather) & it's difficult to read. Would like to change that color to dark blue or black text. I have some links I'm trying to learn from but it's all new/slow to me.

Would also like to replace the 'kamikazi' looking pilot throbber with an American Flag or other throbbers from other themes. If I unpack the xpi files can I find it & paste it in to skypilot's xpi & repack/rezip it or do I need a usercss solution in the Profile's chrome?

Ok, back to the ZA, I'm glad it's working better for you after doing the clean switch uninstall. Really surprised that reinstall of browsers helped too. That & your choice of default browser should not affect ZA other than if in the reinstall you changed some privacy/security control in browser settings that duplicated & conflicted with ZA. Or just as ZA uninstalls & upgrades can leave 'ghosts', maybe browsers can leave conflicting 'ghosts' of old settings (guess anything is possible).

Someone mentioned doubleclick in the thread. I no longer block it or other cookies. Blocking causes too many pageload problems with tricks they use now. Instead, I use Cookie Culler Extension to protect site cookies where I want to be remembered & often nuke the rest in 1 click. On other profiles where I want nothing remembered, I use 1 click on the PrefBar extension to nuke cookies, caches, history etc. (it takes 2 PrefBar Buttons but it's easy to customize/combine into 1 button plus I just rename the button to a single letter label X to save space on the Bar; same thing with other Buttons).

Someone mentioned their NIC in the ZA FW Trusted Zone? NIC? Did you mean Router? I never heard of the network card going into ZA. You definitely don't want your ISP network IP in the Trusted Zone as that's like no firewall at all. It is relatively safe & increases speed & avoids certain problems to place your DNS Servers, DHCP Server, & Mailservers in the ZA FW Trusted Zone.

You have a vulnerability of up to 10 seconds on startup with any consumer firewall, so best to have your broadband modem off. Very easy with front button on Motorola SB5100 series most common in broadband (& uses less AC than RCA & most others). You should let ZA load on boot unless you have an old OS & that causes conflicts. With XP, ZA loading on boot won't cause problems for most people. If it does, the cure is:
    Set SSDP WIN Service to Disabled or to Automatic if you really need it (just not Manual). This actually helps with other non ZA related XP issues also! Do not check the setting for Hide Inactive Icons in Taskbar (just remove any you don't want). Use a Windows password logon. Follow these 3 steps & startup should be fine. Only other potential problems are if you have mail auto checked on startup or browser autostart (& that would be real bad security anyway with ZA not set to load on startup).

13. 2005/03/18

Marklet,

Would like to help but you are miles ahead of me...............

savagcl

14. 2005/03/18
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

I will not make any comments as to Netscape or FF as I do not have them. But, in regards to the original problem of pages not fully loading.

This may not be the case for parties involved in this thread.

I have XP Pro and IE 6 behind a Linksys Router with NAT and a Cable Modem. I have no software firewall activated.

1 hour ago the problem of pages not loading fully ( including this site ) was driving me nuts. I would hit REFRESH and Bingo ! the page was there. All of the sudden all is OK again.

I have also found the problem to be somewhat time of day related. Mornings mostly. I have also had the other two machines with 98SE react the same way at about the same time.

If the problem was constant then I would think about doing some further checking and/or make changes. But it is not so I WON'T. ( rule made A LLLOOONNNGGGGG time ago when I made things WORSE )

So my THINKING ( at least in my case ) is that the problem may well be more ISP related than system.

BillyBob

15. 2005/03/18

BillyBob,

That may well be in your case, time sensitive, i mean. However, such was not
    the case for me. My problem was occuring whenever i was logged on, at any
    time of the day and any day of the week.

I would suggest that you check with your ISP and see if they can determine (or
    verify) the problem and possibly provide a fix for you.....

savagcl

16. 2005/03/18
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Agreed. Different problems.

BillyBob

17. 2005/03/18
    Ramona

Indeed, and I do turn off my Modem when I shut down FF and TB at night, or early a.m. I should have made that clear...

Ramona

18. 2005/03/18
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

Marklet

During computer power-up ...
    If the cable modem is on / enabled.
    If a NAT/Router is on / enabled.
    Does the same "10 seconds of vulnerability" present itself ?

19. 2005/03/18
    Ramona

Marklet,

You can change the Firefox throbber in the userChrome.css file. Here is a good tutorial, although I didn't find anything on the Firefox site. This tutorial is easy to follow, however: http://urbanmainframe.com/folders/blog/20041202/

Ramona

20. 2005/03/18
    Westside

Westside Inactive Alumni

ok, 10 sec. of vulnerability. But to what? To the computer? Ok, that's possible, but nothing is open on startup, except for the antivirus program. I do nothing without ZA showing up.

21. 2005/03/18
    Dennis L Lifetime Subscription

Dennis L Inactive Alumni

The only time I powerdown the modem / router is to re-establish ISP connection .. which rarely occurs. Does the router prevent any internet/computer connections/tranfers prior to AV going active (during power-up)? I always assumed if computer/router does not make a request/accept, it will not allow any conversation from the outside.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.