1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved W7 Bsod Crash The Restart Ok .. Nv Driver ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iwilldo, 2016/05/14.

1. 2016/07/01
    iwilldo

iwilldo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

hi guys ...@PeteC ...
    you cud be onto something about the kernel ,,, but ,am now not able to boot pc at all ...
    no display , no POST , no DOS scrolling boot text , ...
    can't invoke F12 to multiboot into XP on my other internal hd ... { not a good sign }
    weird ,and cud be a list of reasons why ,,, will have to begin to check them out tomorrow ...
    peculiar thing is when I first powered on this am , it actually did a normal non-BDOS bootup ...
    I then switched off to repeat the good start ,and "nothing" ...
    I will begin with removing replacing the cables ,,
    if still no-go then will take off the top and side panels and see whether power su is servicing pc , what lights up etc , and ( I hope ) see lots of dust , will clean , and remove vid card to clean ...etc...
    next will depend on what is working / not working ...

@ Evan Omo ...
    thanks , lots of interesting possibilities , but ,as above , unable atm to check ...

fortunately I have a handy old HP laptop ... and can access email via Webmail with my ISP ...

will see how we go in he morning ... ;)

2. 2016/07/01
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

A real bu**er - wish you well in your investigation.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/07/01
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member

Inspect your motherboard and graphics card for leaking/bulging capacitors

5. 2016/07/02
    iwilldo

hi Pete C ,,

well , a full day today on this one ...

most of the morning I spent on revising what I iknow / don't know about W7....
    Win 7 Bible , other mags and tips etc... visited geeks , howto's , and so on .. NV sites for FAQ's ,... the whole deal ..
    then began the real stuff.. checked ,tightened , removed , replaced ,cables
    tested monitor as best I could .. looked into hooking it up as a multiple on my old laptop , but didn't have right cabling ,,
    checked all other cables into pc ,and the source power plugs ...
    so ,then removed sides and top of atx box to do some heavy sleuthing ...saw some dust inside , blew some away , .. next I switched it on to see what was working inside and what not ...
    PC STARTED !!!! :confused::eek: ..
    up came boot screen , then starting windows ... then a crash back to the boot screen , then "Windows did not close properly ... , then black white screen with Start options m selected Normal ,,,then Starting Windows , and away we go !!
    NOTE ...was no BSOD !!! ???

I repeated this procedure a number of times over the period of 2 hours ..
    tried some of the other suggestions during that time ... no change to above ritual ...
    tomorrow I will take the box outside and give it a huge clean inside ,and also the vents which are very clogged ...
    will then see how it goes ...
    I don't know why I no longer see the BSOD ... only difference is pc I moved a little to get access to inside , ,and the sides are off ,which wud make it cooler ,altho all the fans and psu fan are working ... but , was dust blockage for airflow in ...
    temps inside , in deg F , have been steady all night , cpu 96F , cores 100F , system 85F , GeForce vidcard 109F ... which I think are ok ?

also don't know what/why is "Not close properly " ...

I looked at the .dmp files in Minidump ... each mention the NV driver ...

oh ,btw , very important ... I can now F12 to select to boot in XP , which ,as before , boots up no probs ... ( so vid card must be seating ok } ..

I wonder if I am now just chasing shadows ... ??

hmmm... would I likely see much difference between the NV driver and the M$ default VGA ? I do some Photoshop fixing and editing , and some video edit ,convert format etc stuff... watch some sport ...
    occasionally watch a movie , wud frame rates suffer ?
    appreciate your thoughts ..
    thanks ..

6. 2016/07/02
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

meaning .......
    ??
    Temps look to be OK - graphics card maybe a little warm, but that may be because of the type of cooling on the GPU - heatsink or fan. If a heatsink efficiency will be reduced by dust accumulation.
    It may seem like that, but there is clearly a cause - somewhere.
    There will be a difference, but whether or not you will see it depends on the use of the graphics. In Photoshop the CPU will most likely be used rather than the GPU as I doubt that the vga driver supports OpenGL. That in itself should not be an issue - I have used graphics cards with PS which did not support OpenGL without issue. RE. your other use of graphics it's really a question of trying them.

Have you tried Evan's suggestion to try a Clean Boot and have you run System File Checker as suggested earlier in the thread??

7. 2016/07/13
    iwilldo

hi Pete C ...
    excuse delay since my previous post ...
    done a lot in the interim ...
    in summary , rejigged ,reseated vidcard ,cleaned surface dust ( lots !! ) inside and on vents ,fan blades etc., checked secured cable connections ...
    no improve !
    tried Clean Boot , followed all steps , reboot etc.
    then rebooted to reset to Normal boot...
    rebooted ...
    had a pc which was working ,,,, but had a black screen ... no BSOD or boot messages , just a black screen ... lights on pc .fans swirling etc ..
    so switched off , cleaned some more inside , vigorously rattled vidcard to reseat, checked cables etc ...
    cut a long story short , after hours ( ! ) of trying , I went to move monitor for some easier access , and touched the power cable connected to rear of monitor ... {{ gasp }} lit up and displayed screen of desktop !!
    switched off , restarted , all ok ;) ,no BSOD ,no messages ..
    did it 5 times ... all ok ...
    also note ,bootup from power on to welcome = only 80 seconds..
    ran pc for 2 days ... on-off-on etc ... all ok ...
    checked some apps ... burned a movie dvd ( TSVideo) , only 3 minutes ... not been that quick for a long time..
    so ...{ putting monitor matter to one side } ? clean boot most probably helped , not sure if/how reseating card helped , and the cleaning ...
    because I had thought the black screen monitor was part of the total failures , I did /tried a number of things without being able to switch off/ reboot and view the results onscreen , I can't pinpoint the precise " cure ", or sequence which worked ..
    is so frustrating ,after the weeks of controlled trial and error ,all documented step-by-step ,(huge paper file ) ...
    anyway , I have run pc every day for a week now ,so as to be sure ... before posting " SUCCESS " here...
    I have been inside and out of pc's since DOS 3.0 , with some mindbending headaches along the way...
    each time I have been able to overcome them ...
    but , most certainly, I would not have resolved this one without all your help ...
    will tag this Solved in a few days ...
    many thanks to you Pete C , and Evan Omo , Tony T , and other contributors ...

8. 2016/07/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Your good news has made my day :D So glad that your persistence led to a successful solution!

I suspect reseating the graphics card played a big part in your success. With all that cleaning I would imagine that your temps as noted previously in the thread have dropped down a bit - which is all to the good of course.

9. 2016/07/13
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

That's great news to hear. I'm sure the computer will be running better now that its had a good cleaning.

Regarding your startup entries, would you like me to look through them so I can determine if there are any entries that you don't need running on startup?

10. 2016/07/17
    iwilldo

thanks for offer...I have done some editing through AutoRuns , which has cut down cpu and mem usage , would like to see how they go for a while , cud then have another look ...
    for info , how exactly wud you do this ?

11. 2016/07/17
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

You would merely post a screenshot of your startup entries on the Logon tab and I would look over each entry and determine if you need the program running on startup. Its one of the things I do a lot for clients when speeding up their machines.

12. 2016/07/21
    iwilldo

ok Evan Omo ... on my "To Do " list ... asap ... thanks

13. 2016/07/21
    iwilldo

hi Pete C ... did you get my Message ok ? also , was my donation received ok ?

14. 2016/08/15
    iwilldo

@ to all...

again ,my thanks ...

all still running ,pc is actually better than ever ..

am pleased to mark as " Solved "..
    btw have since installed W10 on a laptop ... the M$ learning iteration continues ;)

15. 2016/08/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thanks for the update - great news!