1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved W7 Bsod Crash The Restart Ok .. Nv Driver ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iwilldo, 2016/05/14.

1. 2016/06/26
    iwilldo

iwilldo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

ok Pete C ....
    have recorded my Prefs ...

to summarise at this point , after I eventually boot up into W7 , if I hit the restart button , W7 starts without BSOD or the black/white option to start " Normal " .etc..
    note ... altho Speccy sees my monitor as the L225W ...in Device Manager it comes up as a M$ PnP .and M$ PnP driver , I seem to recall that it may have been a specific driver ... could it have somehow been corrupted and cause W7 to loop at startup ,do a BSOD coz can't find L225 driver ? then restart with the default M$ driver ?

many thanks

2. 2016/06/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Thank you - it makes it 'easier' for us if we know your hardware. I had hoped that your motherboard might have had built in graphics, but, looking at the manual, it does not. So that's kicked a thought of mine into touch.

That is par for the course nowadays - the days of specific monitor drivers are long gone. Both my reference Win 7 box and my Win 10 desktop show Generic PnP monitor in Device Manager and the Win 10 box has a high end graphics monitor attached.

I have no further constructive thoughts at present and am hoping that one of our Team Members will chip in on this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/06/26
    iwilldo

ok ... understood ... the LG driver must have been for prior XP os ..

the clue is somewhere in the difference in the boot protocol ,between usual boot up, in which it bsods ...and a restart in which it must do something , or not do something , and starts ok, altho a bit slower for desktop to be up and ready ... and of course what changed to cause the bsods to begin appear ...

very much appreciate your time ...

5. 2016/06/26
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

I have geforce gt620 I have been using with win7 and win8 for some years now. On both systems the comp would occasionally just kill the display all on its own, probably a power mgmt issue in the driver. It took me 1.5 yrs of using various driver versions until the problem went away for good. Been working fine for over 3 years now. As I recall, what I last did was uninstall all nvidia drivers and software in add-remove programs prior to install the driver I have now.

As a test, uninstall all the nvidia drivers/software and then reboot. Windows should load its nvidia driver bundled with Windows or it will load a generic display driver. If still get errors then the problem is more than just the drivers. It could be a faulty connection in the card slot or corroded contacts on the card or slot.

If all OK then install a version of the nvidia driver that did work before it was updated. And don't ever update it.

6. 2016/06/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

A couple of other suggestions - which I should have thought of :( both relating to drivers ....

Have you run System File Checker - sfc/ scannow ?

If you start in Safe Mode does the BSOD still occur ?

7. 2016/06/26
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you try a different graphics card. Just to rule the card itself.

8. 2016/06/27
    iwilldo

thanks , guys ...

will give close consideration to all your suggestions ,,

@ PeteC .... booted into Safe Mode ... ok .. no BSOD ... no probs ...

? wot next ??

9. 2016/06/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

As you probably know when booted into Safe Mode only the Windows default drivers are loaded - thus your BSOD is clearly a driver problem which has been identified as the Nvidia driver.

Have you tried TonyT's suggestion in post #24? If there is no BSOD with the Windows Nvidia driver can you live with what that provides graphically? Otherwise follow his advice regarding the Nvidia driver which caused no issues.

For a detailed write up of completely uninstalling Nvidia drivers see .....

How to: Remove Your NVIDIA GPU Drivers

This seems to be a logical approach, but I cannot vouch for it. So at your own risk and be sure to create a System Restore Point before proceeding.

10. 2016/06/27
    iwilldo

thanks PeteC ...

TonyT's suggestion was next on my "to try list " , after you replied ...

will do tomorrow ... risks understood , and will Restore ,also backup regedit ...

thanks for the How To Link .... very helpful ,and one for my W tips files ...

will get back to you...

again , I thank you.... ;)

11. 2016/06/27
    iwilldo

@ TonyT ...

many thanks for your suggestion ...

will give it a go ;)

12. 2016/06/28
    iwilldo

@ PeteC and TonyT ...

we have lift -off ... and now booting with M$ default driver without BSOD ...

have done 3 full reboots .... all ok .. :) altho , not surprisingly , screen refreshes are slower ...

used your suggestion TonyT , and the How To link ,thanks PeteC ...

all NV stuff deleted , except for a raft of about 15 nvxxx dll's in Win/sys32 ...
    these were not mentioned in the BradleyW Guide , so I have left them there , pending your further advice, please , guys ...

I have backed up to a new restore point , also exported the regedit file to save all the Hive changes in registry...

do you agree I can now try installing the NV 327.23 driver ?

I don't really want to use the latest NV drivers ...

many thanks ;)

13. 2016/06/28
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Good progress - well done!

I would not delete the nvxxx.dll's, but would rename each to nvxxxold.dll. That way they are taken out of action and can have the 'old' removed at a later stage to revert, but those that are required (not all will be judging by their properties as shown in my System 32) will be replaced as required by the install of an NV driver.

Time to bite the bullet - install 327.23 if that was the one which caused no issues. Latest are not always the greatest :)

14. 2016/06/28
    iwilldo

with your help ;)
    thanks ... will do , but can you clarify ... I have always put the "old" before the file extension ,ie. nvxxx.OLDdll , coz I have it in mind ,from "somewhere" ( ? ) that Windows searches for dll's and loads them into memory ??
    noted ... thanks
    ok .. will do during the morning and get back to you ..

15. 2016/06/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Not sure about that when you consider the number of .dll's in System 32, but I see no problem with your method.

16. 2016/06/29
    iwilldo

g'day Pete C...

:) The Eagle Has Landed ...;)

installed 327.23 ok ... altho PhysX System stuff "failed" ( ? ) ... yet to Google , but assume this doesn't suit my NV card... as I see it , not necessary
    my tests on pix ,videos , various grafix , web sites , et al , all a-ok ... ( I don't do games so not worried about fast frame rates ,etc.. )

sure is brilliantly better than the M$ vga default ..

so ... we did it , and your patience, expertise , { can see why you an MVP } input ,and some suggestions from others , made it all work ...

over a few decades i have worked /guessed / blundered, my way thru a host of M$ hiccups and undocumented features.. but this one had me baffled ...

am very grateful for all the help I received ...

would you like to sign this off as resolved ?

gudonyam8tnxalotyrabewdyavaguday :D

17. 2016/06/29
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Excellent news and you are most welcome :cool: - persistence pays off ! really well done here ! I would not be concerned about PhysX - odds are that your card does not support it and if you're not a gamer no sweat.

Give it a couple of days then if all well mark the thread as Resolved.

Attached Files:

18. 2016/06/29
    iwilldo

hi Pete C ....
    well ... what can I say :(

just after I messaged you , I realised that I had done the tests after the install initiated a restart , :eek: ..
    and not from a full power off ,and reboot ...
    so retested.... yep ... BSOD as before ,ie . BSOD after cold bootup , but no BSOD for a warmed up restart ...
    this is the exact same situation as before ...
    after I had removed all NV stuff ,and then running with M$ default vga driver, I was getting no BSOD at all...
    thinking thru it , I did not rename those old nvxxx.dll's before doing the fresh reinstall of 327.23 ...
    maybe an outside chance of some problem there , but wud not explain how come no BSOD when restart ?
    is there a way of checking as to which driver is actually in use by Win ? Process Explorer ?..

if Control Panel --> Device Manager is showing the driver for Display adaptor as the 327.23 , is it possible that during a restart after a BSOD that Win cud work around the NV driver and invoke its own default driver ?
    seems unlikely to me , but ... ??
    so tomorrow , more brute force .... I will do the full removal of 327.23 , AND rename those dll's ...
    apologies for my previous testing error ...

19. 2016/06/30
    iwilldo

hi Pete C ..

not good news I'm afraid ...

spent most of the day uninstalling , cleaning registry / clean reinstalling versions 327.23 , 341.95 , 314.07 , 311.06 ,Googling various how-to's , BlueScreen viewing , and so on .. very time consuming ...
    at end of day , I clean installed 327.23 just to have a driver installed ...
    in summary ...no progress , still getting BSOD in cold boot W7 ,but ok on warm restart W7... so ,situation unchanged ...
    the card must be ok coz it works on warm restart W7 ,and also cold boot my XP drive ...
    the driver must be ok coz it works ok on warm restart W7 { unless it get bypassed by W7 after failing cold boot ?? } ...
    I get BSOD in W7 everytime I cold boot , no matter which nv driver I install ..
    I never get BSOD in W7 when I warm restart ..

anything else I shud try ?

thanks

20. 2016/06/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I can feel your frustration with this issue and like you have Googled extensively without any positive outcome.

I have one further thought re BSOD on cold boot, but none on restart .....

It is my understanding that certain parts of the Windows kernel are retained in memory when the computer is restarted as opposed to being shut down and then rebooted - maybe this is a possible cause ????

I suggest you run the Windows Memory checker and see if that throws anything up - seems unlikely as the XP side works as expected and so does the native Nvidia driver. Everything points to the Nvidia driver, but it seems strange that every version that you have tried gives a BSOD on a cold boot.

21. 2016/06/30
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi iwilldo. Give these suggestions a shot.

Try Performing a clean boot in Windows and when the computer is in a clean boot state, shut down the system entirely and power the system up as a cold boot into Windows 7 and see if there is any difference in behavior. You might have some program that is loading during a cold boot that is somehow conflicting with the NVidia driver so this will rule out any software conflicts.

If the blue screen still happens even when the system is in a clean boot state, then boot into Windows 7 and click Start< type Command Prompt in the Start search box, right click on Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator. After the Command Prompt window opens, type chkdsk C: /r and hit enter. Type Y to confirm that you want to schedule a Check Disk to run on the next restart. After the Check Disk has been scheduled, close the Command Prompt window and reboot the computer to allow Check Disk to run.

If there is still no change, then lets try turning off Windows Aero. In Windows 7 click Start< type Services in the Start search box, and click on the Services option in the list to open the Services window. In the Services window, scroll down and locate the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager. Double click on that service to bring up its properties. On the General tab under Startup type, set the service to Disabled and click on the Stop button to stop the service. Then click on Ok. You will notice that Windows Aero is now turned off. Now shut off the machine and do a cold boot and see if the computer boots into Windows 7 without blue screening.