1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved W7 Bsod Crash The Restart Ok .. Nv Driver ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by iwilldo, 2016/05/14.

1. 2016/05/14
    iwilldo

iwilldo Well-Known Member Thread Starter

i am running W 7 Ultimate SP1 with a 32bit system 4Gb ram ... installed about 4 years ago ...
    have kept up to date with W updates , altho not just auto updates ,and am always very careful about which to accept ..
    last done 2 months ago ..

my video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

i have 2 internal drives , 1 = W7 ,1 = XP Pro ( my previous OS )
    i am set to auto boot to W7 , but can manually get XP to boot via F12 key ...

during the past week ,every time i switch on and boot to W7 , when the Starting + 4 flags come up , it crashes to restart and displays the dreaded BSOD ( see message below ) ... the message times out , then the black screen / white text appears with the options about SAFE mode / Normal etc ...

i select NORMAL ,and it boots again ,this time properly into W 7 ...

i have tried the expand the file nvlddmkm.sy_ method so as to replace the driver in W\system32 etc . etc. no change.

also , i have an external HD as a backup , last backed up a month ago , and have copied the nvlxxx.sys file drive to replace that file on the internal C: drive .... no change ...

NV driver version is 9.18.13.1106

ahaa ... i said,vid card must be the culprit somehow ... but ,when i F12 boot , the XP comes up no prob ...
    it is if course a different driver for the XP kernal ... is NV driver version 6.14.11.5827
    so .. ? would seem to be software ???
    i have a hunch this same problem has probably been seen before ... but my situation is different , where on the same PC , with the same card , it boots up to XP ok ??

i would appreciate the help of your experience on this ...

NEXT IS BSOD MESSAGE ....
    A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer .
    Attempt to reset the display driver and and recover from timeout has failed .
    If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen , restart your computer .
    If this screen appears again , follow steps :

<<< then follows a lot of blurb about check new hardware or software etc, properly installed ,etc... >>>
    <<<< also waffles on about disabling some memory options in BIOS >>>>
    {{ next is probably the main message }}
    NOTE ... the first 2 hex addresses inside the brackets vary each startup ...
    Technical information :

*** STOP : 0x00000116 ( 0x88FCA008, 0x9572A446 , 0x00000000 ,0x00000002 )

*** nvlddmkm.sys - Address 9572A446 base at 95635000, DateStamp 50f94c64

<<< then follows message about collecting data initializing disk for crash dump, and dumping to disk : 70 >>>

END OF MESSAGE ...

thanks for any help on this....

2. 2016/05/14
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

You've already noted that XP boots up OK using the appropriate XP driver - the issue is in the Win 7 driver which looks to be out of date. Latest driver here ..... NVIDIA DRIVERS GeForce 341.95 Driver WHQL

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/05/14
    iwilldo

G'day, PeteC... tnx 4 your advice ..I have seen some posts along the way which talk about probs arising when updating NV drivers ...
    ? why wud my existing driver which is working ok suddenly become obsolete when the W OS and hardware is unchanged ... under those conditions what triggers the need to update ?
    Thanks

5. 2016/05/19
    iwilldo

am still wondering whether I shud update driver , wud appreciate further info about :

6. 2016/05/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

It's not a question of obsolescence - it is possible that your installed driver is corrupted.
    Along with the driver NVIDIA Experience is also loaded which notifies when an updated driver is available,

As most driver updates are aimed at improving graphics performance in new and existing games and not being a gamer I uninstalled that so that I am not pestered :)

I have not experienced any issues in updating NVIDIA drivers and suggest that you either re-install the existing driver or the latest available.

7. 2016/05/20
    iwilldo

thanks PeteC ... ;)
    I too turned off the NVupdates a few years ago ,,,
    understand what you say ...
    my pc, mboard , pci slots , vidcard , are about 5 years old .....
    in Ctr Panel --> Programs, I have 4 NV items listed :
    3D vision driver 311.06 , Graphics driver 311.06 , Update 1.11.3 all installed 26/08/2013 ..
    and Display Control Panel installed 26/08/2010
    which of these do i uninstall , before install latest ?
    do I uninstall via Ctrl Panel -->Programs ?
    if I update to latest driver , can I revert back to previous driver if newest causes problems ?
    'scuse me asking so many questions ...
    thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 2016/06/26
  8. 2016/05/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I don't think there is a need to uninstall the existing driver first - the installation of the updated driver should uninstall the existing driver - that is my experience.
    Yes - 2 ways ......
    Control Panel > Device Manager > Display Adapters - right click on Nvidia > Properties > Roll Back driver (see snip from my reference Win 7 box below.
    Nvidia.JPG
    Or
    Download the 311 driver from NVIDIA Driver Downloads - Advanced Search and save to HD before updating to latest driver.

9. 2016/05/20
    iwilldo

thanks again , PeteC ...

ok ... updated to latest 341.95 ....
    unfortunately , problem as per my original post still the same ...
    anything else you would suggest I try ?
    do you know much about the repair kit : ?
    Code:
    http://windowstechies.com/-/en/filename/?t=1&k=nvlddmkm.sys%20bsod&m=b&u=&c=55860046590&file=nvlddmkm.sys%20bsod&gclid=CJWB_P3l6MwCFYSjvQodSfkDJg
    thanks ... your help is much appreciated..

10. 2016/05/20
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Clearly not the driver alone - there are many references to that Stop error here
    I can only suggest that you trawl through them. As for the repair kit I can't give you any guidance on that - try it at your own risk, but make sure you have a current image of the C:\ drive beforehand. Trouble with repair kits is that you have no idea what they do to the system - I have never used one.

11. 2016/05/20
    iwilldo

ok ... thanks ... will do ...
    agree... have never used " cleaners" ... as you say , can't be trusted...
    i have a clone, about a month old , of my hdisk on an external drive ...will think about backing up some recent stuff to a usb ,and then copy clone back to hdisk .... this do after check out the Stop error links ...
    will see how I go ... get back to you ...
    thanks ...

12. 2016/05/21
    iwilldo

hi PeteC ...
    still brute forcing through some options ...
    ? can you suggest an interpretation of the following , please :
    1. even with new 341.95 , original posted problem still the same ..
    2. booted via F8 -->
    3. then Sys Repair --> Popup Recovery Options --> logged in ---> clicked Startup Repair -->searched for problems --> View diagnostics ... all checks ok.. " Boot Status indicates that the OS booted successfully" ...
    clicked Finish --> Restart ... then pc boots ok no BSOD ... and W7 loads no probs,runs ok in full mode ...
    ?? as someone very famous was known to say ..." Why is it so ? " ..
    question ... you provided a link to the download the old 311 driver from NV Dload Advance ...
    was not able to find 311 there ... maybe I missed it ... wud you mind checking ...
    thanks...

13. 2016/05/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

There is a clearer, illustrated article on accessing Startup Repair here ....

Startup Repair Tool in Windows 7

In the days I used Win 7 I never had the need to use it so at your own risk again :)

On this page at NVIDIA
    Fill in the relevant details and click on the Search button ..... Nvidia.JPG
    From the research I have done driver 311 was released through Windows Update, not directly from NVIDIA and is not available there. I suggest the 327.23 driver, but this seems unnecessary as the latest driver is clearly working bar the BSOD - no change from the original situation.

14. 2016/05/22
    iwilldo

hi PeteC ...
    once again I thank you for your time and assistance...
    the Geek link looks interesting ... will check it out ..
    the 327.23 is for 64bit OS ... is there a 32bit in the 320's ? am prepared to try it ..
    thanks..
    edit :fix typo

15. 2016/05/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

The 327.23 driver on the page I pointed you to in post #12 is 32 bit. Left click on the driver for description ....

Attached Files:

16. 2016/05/22
    iwilldo

thanks , PeteC ,,,'
    dunno how I got to the 64bit ?
    will give it a go and let you know ...
    will revert back to the old 311 ,then apply 327 ..

17. 2016/05/31
    iwilldo

G'day PeteC ...
    Have been highly distracted past week or so , friend needed urgent help with OS chaos on .a laptop ...
    Will get back to update by next week ..
    thanks ...

18. 2016/05/31
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

In your own time :)

19. 2016/06/25
    iwilldo

g'day Pete C ...

'scuse lag in giving you an update ...

am back on the trail again , and will resume the task today ....
    thanks ...

20. 2016/06/25
    iwilldo

hi Pete C

well , as per previous , I had updated driver from 311.06 to latest 341.95 ... no improvement ...
    today reverted back to 311.06 , removed Mozilla Maintenance Service { I am actually using IE11 , Moz was installed mid April as a backup for when IE not supported some sites ) , installed a selected few M$ W7 updates ...
    no improvement ...
    because W7 does eventually start ok after the BSOD ritual ,and is ok for XP , it does seem as if not the driver , but is something which is consistently frustrating the start up process / driver activation ...
    I will next install the 327.23 you pointed me to , and let you know,,,

BUT , I have found the following method avoids the BSOD , altho do still get the black/white screen advising previous Windows didn't start properly...
    1. Boot up ..2.. at " Starting Win " display , hit reboot button ..3. see black/white "Failed Start " message .. 4. select "Normal " ...5. Win starts ok ,no BSOD , no black screen fail ,etc... , 6. desktop did take a bit longer to fully populate colored icons et al ..
    ? I think this is meaningful ,but I know not what ... need your expertise , please ...
    thanks ...

21. 2016/06/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Before proceeding further on this we must know your System Specs otherwise working somewhat in the dark :)

Click on the left hand icon art the right end of the blue header bar and in the window which opens click on Preferences - there are instructions there re. finding your system details ....

In the meantime I will try to attract more expertise to this thread.

Attached Files: