1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

W2k Windows Update

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by jackpan, 2006/08/09.

1. 2006/08/09
    jackpan

jackpan Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Just did a clean install of W2k with SP3 included. The install went fine. I have done numerous installs without a hitch. This problem has me beat. After the install I connected with my ISP and went directly to Windows Update. The first step is to accept the EULA and afterwards select Express for the critical updates. After about 20 minutes, error 0x8ddd0009 appeared. I followed the listed sggestions but still nothing. I tried Custom and still nothing. I decided to install spybot, ad-aware and various other cleaners to see if it would help. When done I ran disk check and finally disk defrag. Same problem. No updates are ever downloaded - just the error message.
    I'm stuck. If anyone knows how to correct error message 0x8ddd0009, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. 2006/08/11
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Might need to install SP4 first.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/08/11
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Hi,

Open the Event Viewer by going to Start > Run, and type in eventvwr.msc, Click OK.

Select Application Log. Under the Source header, look for error(s) associated with MsiInstaller.

Double click them to see more details.

If the error states that MsiInstaller could not find msxml3.dll, then go to Start > Run, and type in regsvr32 msxml3.dll, click OK. You should get a confirmation message that the .dll file was successfully registered.

I've also seen reports that uninstalling, then reinstalling the Windows Installer (3.1) fixed this problem.

Arie,
  5. 2006/08/11
    jackpan

The event viewer was empty because Installer 3.1 was never installed. Out of desperation I manually installed the following three items:

Installer 3.1, SP4, and Rollup.

Still nothing. Thanks for reading.

6. 2006/08/12
    Arie

See if there's any info in the WindowsUpdate.log file (located in your Windows directory).

Arie,
  7. 2006/08/12
    jackpan

The log is blank.

8. 2006/08/14
    jackpan

Just a note to let you know how much I appreciate the time and effort you put in trying to solve my dilemma. Tried all recommendations including downloading Sun Java. The end result was far from acceptable. The OS operated sluggishly even after disabling Services I don't need for home use.

Due to my frustration I decided to install Win98SE. Much to my surprise all update were still available through July of this year. Once all updates were installed the computer came to life. It absolutely flies. I've decided to stay with Win98SE for as long as I can, even though Microsoft Support has ended.

Thanks again to each and everyone of you. You have been terrific. We can now officially put this thread to bed.

9. 2006/08/14
    Arie

Thanks for posting back & good luck ;)

Arie,