1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

W10 Upgrade Failed August 2015 - Few successful Updates since

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by virginia, 2016/01/11.

1. 2016/01/11
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

I'm helping a friend upgrade from 8.1 to 10. Before I started the upgrade, I had planned to check Windows updates, run Malwarebytes, and run the resident AV program.

When I checked for updates, I found a number (30+) waiting to be installed. I discovered that W 10 started trying to automatically install in early August (she says she didn't knowingly start the install). The W10 upgrade tried to install and failed every day until the end of August. There have been few successful Windows updates since then. When I tried to manually install the updates today, most failed but about 10 or 15 were successful.

My question: Should I try to manually run the W10 upgrade in light of the automatic failed attempts or should I work on the failed updates issue before starting the upgrade.

2. 2016/01/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Robert, Have a look at this: "Compatibility report for Windows 10: FAQ ".
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/compatibility-report-windows-10
    Check and make sure with the Compatibility Guide which should advise about the W8.1 updates needs.
    I would try and ensure that the W8.1 is stable and up to date before attempting an Upgrade to W10.
    Make sure any 3rd. party AV is disabled (can be set up after upgrade) and that all software product keys are known and noted. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/01/12
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Neil,

Thanks for the input. W 10 is up and running. I reviewed the link you provided and it indicated the computer was ready for the upgrade. I retried updating the 30 failed security updates and the try failed a few minutes in. One of the options was "Try again? ". Having more time than money, I tried again and this time all of the updates installed. No trick here except perseverance. I then ran Malwarebytes which came up clean and then started the W 10 upgrade. Went off without a hitch. All is well.