1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

W10 Laptop Boots to Desktop then stalls.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by virginia, 2018/05/20.

1. 2018/05/20
    virginia Lifetime Subscription

virginia Geek Member Thread Starter

Loaned my Windows 10 Dell Inspiron laptop for the last couple of years. Laptop originally was W 8/8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10. Complaint was that unit wouldn't boot up at times and was very sluggish.

I have booted this unit up a number of times - usually taking 5 to 10 mimutes, It does various things during boot up. At times the light blue screen indicating updates processing would appear and then go away. Perhaps one of the major W10 updates got corrupted. A few times I got to the desktop and was able to do a few things - very slowly. Typical happening - when I tried to use Windows Explorer to save Documents to a flash drive, it took Windows Explorer about 4 - 5 minutes to boot up and I was unable to select files or right click to check file sizes.

I tried to get to Safe mode three different times by tapping F8 from the time I pressed the Power Button. But was never able to get into Safe Mode. I took the HD out and put it in an enclosure and accessed it with another computer. I could see the data files and access them but was unable to open any of them - strange as some were PDFs and some were JPGs.

Any suggestions on how I can get this thing going?

2. 2018/05/20
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2018/05/20

Evan,
    I had that possibility in the back of my mind. Right now I can't do any data backup using the unit itself. I will have to take the hard drive out again and put it in my Manhattan PC Clone and see if I can recover the data that way. Will give that another try this week.

5. 2018/05/28

Evan,
    I put the hard drive from the PC in my adapter and connected it to my laptop (W10 Home 1803) and can see the files - identified as OS (E) in Windows Explorer. I'm mainly interested in photos and wp/spreadsheet documents. However, I am unable to open any of the files - which I normally can open routinely.

Photo files are identified as JPG files which I normally open with no problem. When I try to open a JPG photo in Photos, I get this message :
    Document files identified as ***.doc, Microsoft Word exhibit similar problems. When I try to open one, I get a dialog box with ASCII Filter Options at upper left. There is an option to change the Character Set but I have no idea what to select - probably 50 or so options - all different country or regional options.

PDF files - pretty much the same. "Couldn't open PDF - something's keeping this PDF from opening".

Should I just consider the hard drive as kaput or am I missing something that might let me access the files? I think I may go ahead and save all the files I can to other media on the off chance that I may be able to come across some way to access them.

6. 2018/05/28
    Evan Omo

Try and see if you can just copy the data over to another hard drive and see if they open properly there.

The hard drive definitely sounds like its on its way out so I would copy any important data off that drive as soon as you can.

7. 2018/05/31

Evan,
    Had a number of files that failed to copy but I think I got most of them copied to a spare HD. However, I still can't open the JPGs and PDFs. I just tried to upload one of the JPGs here to see if you could open it and got a red and black dialog box with this message
    The file shows to be about 2.3 MB. Any thoughts what might be going on?

8. 2018/05/31
    Evan Omo

Try renaming the image file and see if you can open it. What is the error message that comes up when you attempt to open some of those files?